Interest Holocron Kit

nomuse

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Someone was asking over at Instructables if I might laser out a Holocron shell for him from my files, and it occurred to me I should ask here if anyone else wants me to do that for them.

Here's the Holocron I built:

holo_han.jpg

It has a full Instructable (here) and the laser files I created are free to download on the Instructables page and are under the Creative Commons by-nc-sa license; free to use and modify for own projects.

I would laser cut/engrave unpainted acrylic pieces, all of original design, and I would be entirely willing to customize within reason. From a first pass estimate based on cost of acrylic, postage, etc., I'd be able to do it for at little as $40.

(I'd also consider the electronics package but that is a little more complex)

There's a last sticky point. The original idea for creating a holocron from acrylic pieces like this, and the designer of the outer shell you see in the picture, is an ex-member here. I would of course be using entirely my own files with my own custom images, but it does bother me a little that the original idea came from someone else.

Well, I was just contacted by a Jedi Master and I will be running off at least one for him -- with custom design, so that gives me reason to go into my existing files and tweak them some. I'll keep people posted but it looks like I might just be doing a few.

The "Temple" version is on hold. Here's a trial cut set up for lighting test:

holo_02b.JPG

I thought I could mix-and-match the new shell with the previous diffusion layer but the total affect doesn't move me:

hybridHoloINK.jpg

So tinkering with a more elegant diffusion layer, new internal circuitry layer...and also seeing if I can't achieve the look of the "stolen" holocron (diffuse layer inverted in this image because of how the engraving process works):

stolenHoloINK.jpg

In any case, it seems worth going through with; I'll have at least a couple of different options, but all of them the same basic idea, aka a budget holocron; a 4" acrylic cube that's easy to assemble and paint up and will take internal lighting/electronics. I'll consider offering a basic electronics set separately. The main reason I'd prefer to go kit instead of assembled is shipping is a lot cheaper that way.

And, yeah, I'm totally open for design suggestions/custom designs. Once I've got the fingers fitting right, and the various internal dimensions wrung out, changing the look of the shell or the diffuse layer(s) is relatively trivial.

Okay....it's a go.

I was hoping I'd have the new one(s) cut and painted before I had to post again in this thread, but it wasn't until today that I finally solved an aesthetic flaw that had been bothering me. So expect a week or two before I'm ready to tool up properly.

Based on cost of raw materials -- $20-30 -- should be able to get a kit down to $50 or under. That would be three layers of laser cut and engraved 1/8" acrylic with dove-tail joints for easy assembly into a 4" box, plus internal pieces for supporting circuitry and holding the "lid" piece on -- plus the 1/4" super-magnets for the lid. Would not include assembly, glue, or paint.

I'd like to make an option on internal electronics but I'm still looking at what makes the best combination of ease of assembly, flexibility of use, and cost.

I'll have pics of at least one fully assembled when I start the run thread.

Interested at least in a complete kit with electronics.

If You would be willing in doing fully finished electronics loaded pieces I'd be even more interested, pending price of course.

So are You offering more variants?

regards,

Alberto

Yeah...at least two versions, plus there's potentially some mix-and-match. Plus I'm totally open for suggestions -- changing the patterns inside the shell is relatively easy at this point.

I'll look at an electronics bundle. I guess I have a big question right off; does anyone think that stand-alone operation (aka the ability to light when not connected to a computer) is critical? Because that means lithium polymer battery and auto-charger as part of the bundle (plus the tilt switch to allow turning it off when not in use...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwDNq9KoK44

(Ignore the background music...the holocron itself is silent)

(According to your tag, my Jedi Name would be...... Swemi Asbot. I think even George's kids would pass on that one!)

Last edited:
Yeah...at least two versions, plus there's potentially some mix-and-match. Plus I'm totally open for suggestions -- changing the patterns inside the shell is relatively easy at this point.

I'll look at an electronics bundle. I guess I have a big question right off; does anyone think that stand-alone operation (aka the ability to light when not connected to a computer) is critical? Because that means lithium polymer battery and auto-charger as part of the bundle (plus the tilt switch to allow turning it off when not in use...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwDNq9KoK44

(Ignore the background music...the holocron itself is silent)

(According to your tag, my Jedi Name would be...... Swemi Asbot. I think even George's kids would pass on that one!)

Nice Jedi name! That's something I found on the StarWars FB page!:thumbsup

Back from OT, since You asked about opinions on designing it here are my suggestions, if I might:
I definitely think that unplugged operationality would be essential for me, I don't remember who did back then, but someone did add real data storage in it, which would be fantastic too, since that is the main scope in SW Universe.
Obviously a hidden micro USB port would be great and easier to mave it barely visible.
And at least some engraving like the one made by Zenix some time ago would render this holocron absolutely stunning!

Regards,

Alberto

Last edited:
I need help on this.

Here's the one I've been working on with a client, which is NOT available to the general public:

frosted_cree.JPG

So here's the question; what are design elements that are strongly canonical? I see a lot of variety in Holocron designs but the only design I've seen that is absolutely backed up by primary source is the "Stolen" Holocron;

Cad_Bane_holocron.jpg

Outside of that, I've identified a few possible re-occurring elements; the open gear shape, the face-like "transformers" shape, the "Sith" pattern fill, and the split corners of the Stolen. So what do people think should in in a Holo that clearly marks it as being a Holo...and not some random acrylic cube like have at Wallgreen's for putting baby pictures in?

Ah, yeah. The "Stolen" does the same corner-turn trick. I saw someone here 3d print a Holo that could do that. No idea how to achieve that in laser-cut acrylic though.

Right....I have a new shell design and a new trick on diffusion. Will show pics as soon as I've had a chance to run a new one off on the laser and paint it up. Based on the numbers from the "Academy" holos I can commit to $45 for the acrylic kit, plus $5 shipping to CONUS. Will likely be able to shave that a little as I learn how to minimize waste material.

I've been trying to break down electronics options. Would like to know which of the below people think are worth developing:

1. For about $10-15 I can put in a micro USB socket, an internal USB-A socket that will fit a user-supplied thumb drive, and break out the +5v leads for user-supplied LED. I'd also drop a simple high-brightness LED in the package. I'd solder and test the sockets myself before shipping. All of the acrylic kits already include cut-outs for micro-USB and a "spider" to support a lighting circuit near the center of the holo.

2. For about $25-30, add to the above LiPo and off-the-shelf (aka Adafruit) LiPo charger, and a tilt switch to turn off the lighting. This allows stand-alone lighting and will recharge the internal battery automatically when plugged into a USB port or other USB power supply. I'd happily shave off $10 if you want to solder it all up yourself.

3. For about $40, take the above and swap out the single LED/+5v power tails for a 3W "cree" RGB with AVR-based driver. This could be done in either of two flavors;
a: a stand-alone board with ICSP programming header -- arduino-compatible but harder for the casual user to access, or
b: a "Trinket" backpack; the Trinket costs another $10 but adds USB programmability.

I'm not really up to making a user-friendly GUI for writing custom looks into the lighting circuit, but I can certainly move all my driver code into a standard-format library and make that available.

I'm totally in for this.

I like the SWTOR datacron design (like in my avatar):
http://files.g4tv.com/ImageDb3/2903...e-datacron-locations-in-seventeen-systems.jpg

The original holocron design from one of the encyclopedias has some nice designs in it:
http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20061228160405/starwars/images/f/fb/Holocron2_CVD.jpg

I think if you're going to make it programmable, then it needs to be via a USB interface. I would certainly be more interested in it that way. More arduino compatible the better.

Here's the electronics load out I was thinking for some future build:
It's too bad this isn't out yet because it gives you a microcontroller and lipo charger in one:
https://www.sparkfun.com/news/1754
I was also thinking about adding sound:
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11125
LED driver for some sort of RPG or three color solution:
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11850

I like the idea of sticking with something arduino supported because there is just so much support out there for it. Just my two cents. I'm in on pretty much whatever you decide.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back