Hollywood’s current state of failure and the reasons for it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right? Otherwise, what's the point of the theater when you can simply wait for the home release?
Back in the 1980s (MAN am I getting older!) It was COMMON for a VHS movie release to occur 1 to 2 YEARS after the theatrical release, costing $80 to $100 a copy.

Things are different nowadays. Studios have to fight for profits on other fronts as well. You can watch countless "My wife's reaction to Ant Man and the Wasp: Quantomania!" type videos for free on YouTube, with multiple clips from the film that cover the story from start to finish. Reaction shots to the big spoilers, all major story beats, the gestalt of the film is yours for essentially free. EASY to cherry pick the film, without leaving the comfort of your couch OR purchasing/renting the movie. And that's NOT including the torrent sites where the stolen film is available to download or stream.

So,..perhaps our favorite actors could become UPS drivers in order to have a living wage during the strike and avoid having to take drastic financial measures?

Billy Porter Is Being Forced to Sell His Home for the Most Heartbreaking Reason

Perhaps the UPS uniform could be the next “avant-garde” outfit seen on the red carpet?

View attachment 1729668

Do It Episode 3 GIF by Star Wars

Back in the 1980s (MAN am I getting older!) It was COMMON for a VHS movie release to occur 1 to 2 YEARS after the theatrical release, costing $80 to $100 a copy.

Things are different nowadays. Studios have to fight for profits on other fronts as well. You can watch countless "My wife's reaction to Ant Man and the Wasp: Quantomania!" type videos for free on YouTube, with multiple clips from the film that cover the story from start to finish. Reaction shots to the big spoilers, all major story beats, the gestalt of the film is yours for essentially free. EASY to cherry pick the film, without leaving the comfort of your couch OR purchasing/renting the movie. And that's NOT including the torrent sites where the stolen film is available to download or stream.
Soon, it'll get to this point:

But let me just make this important point about Snow White and the power and beauty of true love being destroyed by “modern sensibili…

Huh?

OK…OK…wait a minute….

Alright…17-year old me just tapped me on the shoulder and said “Dude..what are you doing? You’re involved in a conversation and debate about a Disney cartoon that you watched when you were 6-years old?? Seriously? And of all cartoons Snow White???? Just stop. Stop before you embarrass us both any further.

OK—I’m out.

Last edited:

I remember those days. Waiting for over a year and having to pay close to $100 in some cases unless you were willing to wait.

And let us not forget that movie AND streaming profits suffer, from people who jailbroke their Firesticks, and watch movies for free through different movie apps. They think… why pay for a ticket, or steaming, when people can watch it for free in the comfort of their home? I’m sure that is making an impact on profits.

I’m not condoning doin that… though I might have (not saying I definitely did, but I might have ;) ) spent this past Sunday watching Barbie, Indiana Jones DOD, the latest Insidious film, and The Little Mermaid, for free.

They're releasing them so fast as not to pay any residuals to the people involved in the production:( That's the feeling I have with the lawyers finding loopholes in signed contracts and the likes...
This discussion has opened my eyes on the way the studio's heads are treating the cast/crew in the first place! I don't know when the writers accepted to work for free in the first place (as soon as you've installed a precedent, everybody jumps on that band wagon despite rules and regulations saying the exact contrary).
Or their financial backers. After all, the contract only agreed to this specific stipulation and given how difficult it would be to assess income from streaming...

Of course, this will kill big budget movies. Cant make a big budget movies without a "big budget" and who is going to be stupid enough to back a movie now that the ROI is through the floor thanks to streaming?

The job of financiers is to make money and regardless of the outcome of this trial, if they deem the risk too high to make a profit, they are not going to invest so no more big money for movies. Congrats Hollywood, you played yourself.

This is why the "movie/video game summary" video is banned in Japan and a dude got sued for posting summary videos for a particular video game.

Youtubers are obviously up in arms about this but to be honest, yeah, its a huge concern for the entertainment industry. Why pay $20 to $70 for a ticket to a movie or a video game and spend at least 2 to 20 hours to consume it when you can just get a summary in 10 minutes? Or basically see the film for free with the highlighted clips (with many fight scenes or other major plot points uploaded to youtube a couple of hours later). Maybe this is just an inevitability of media but still makes things more difficult. Ironically, this is a problem that fixes itself (no more movies means no more reactions). This time, youtubers and youtube itself killing content and playing themselves.

Oh, the big 3 titans have a near monopoly of the market because regulators were asleep at the wheel? Color me surprised. And monopolies are bad for the market?

Just wait a couple more years for when the big three streaming platforms feel they have a secure enough platform (not enough competition) and jack up subscription prices (they are already starting but really cranking). This was the plan all along anyway. Textbook.

Or their financial backers. After all, the contract only agreed to this specific stipulation and given how difficult it would be to assess income from streaming...

Of course, this will kill big budget movies. Cant make a big budget movies without a "big budget" and who is going to be stupid enough to back a movie now that the ROI is through the floor thanks to streaming?

The job of financiers is to make money and regardless of the outcome of this trial, if they deem the risk too high to make a profit, they are not going to invest so no more big money for movies. Congrats Hollywood, you played yourself.

This is why the "movie/video game summary" video is banned in Japan and a dude got sued for posting summary videos for a particular video game.

Youtubers are obviously up in arms about this but to be honest, yeah, its a huge concern for the entertainment industry. Why pay $20 to $70 for a ticket to a movie or a video game and spend at least 2 to 20 hours to consume it when you can just get a summary in 10 minutes? Or basically see the film for free with the highlighted clips (with many fight scenes or other major plot points uploaded to youtube a couple of hours later). Maybe this is just an inevitability of media but still makes things more difficult. Ironically, this is a problem that fixes itself (no more movies means no more reactions). This time, youtubers and youtube itself killing content and playing themselves.

Oh, the big 3 titans have a near monopoly of the market because regulators were asleep at the wheel? Color me surprised. And monopolies are bad for the market?

Just wait a couple more years for when the big three streaming platforms feel they have a secure enough platform (not enough competition) and jack up subscription prices (they are already starting but really cranking). This was the plan all along anyway. Textbook.
We have the power of voting with our wallets; I cancelled my Disney + more than a few months ago and I'm about to pull the plug on Amazon prime. We just have to do it...everybody...for one day only and see the losses for just 24 hours.

1692364109176.png

It's almost like corporations won't even bother to hold to their agreements unless the spectre of massive and expensive legal action rears its head...

Of all the benefits that a capitalistic economy can bring, this is also one of its curses. When you have mega money, you have enhanced legal representation, and well... money enough... to outspend and "wait out" the little guy.

The son of one of the directors of the original film is now trashing this thing…

“There’s no respect for what Disney did and what my dad did. … I think Walt and he would be turning in their graves.”

sad black and white GIF

And let us not forget that movie AND streaming profits suffer, from people who jailbroke their Firesticks, and watch movies for free through different movie apps. They think… why pay for a ticket, or steaming, when people can watch it for free in the comfort of their home? I’m sure that is making an impact on profits.

I’m not condoning doin that… though I might have (not saying I definitely did, but I might have ;) ) spent this past Sunday watching Barbie, Indiana Jones DOD, the latest Insidious film, and The Little Mermaid, for free.
200.gif

Having seen all live action SW films during their initial theatrical releases, I feel I've earned the "right" to make my opinion a fact: outside of R2-D2 and C3P0, one of the best characters was Palpatine. Ian played him with JUST the right amount of smarminess, mixed with a (granted, extremely powerful) mustache twirling villain.

Having seen all live action SW films during their initial theatrical releases, I feel I've earned the "right" to make my opinion a fact: outside of R2-D2 and C3P0, one of the best characters was Palpatine. Ian played him with JUST the right amount of smarminess, mixed with a (granted, extremely powerful) mustache twirling villain.

That’s my boy alright, Harold Q Palpatine. Let’s hope his granddaughter lives up to the legacy.

It's almost like corporations won't even bother to hold to their agreements unless the spectre of massive and expensive legal action rears its head...
Yup. Despite the idea of everyone being equal under the law, its a sad fact that rich people operate under “different” laws due to innate advantages like having better lawyers that are able to spend their full time on the case, ability to negotiate, etc. making corporations “people” was stupid.

The son of one of the directors of the original film is now trashing this thing…

“There’s no respect for what Disney did and what my dad did. … I think Walt and he would be turning in their graves.”

View attachment 1730185
so the people working with the original creator want the work respected while new-fangled untested writers want to change it because its “problematic.” Not surprised again.

Snow White is not my favorite fairy tale or even my favorite of the Disney classics but you cant deny its significance not only to Disney as a corporation but to animated film as a whole. Its one of Disney’s holy grails in a sense. You would thinknthey would have more care with one of the IPs that made their company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back