hollywood treasures on syfy - who's watching?

ave4uevoli

Sr Member
Just saw a commercial for this on Syfy while watching ST:TNG today..

I was playing with my daughter when I saw a Batman Forever sonar suit out of the corner of my eye.. and then a jaws maquette. Woo!

I'm going to watch just to see some glimpses of cool props....

Hollywood Treasure | Syfy

He is the owner operator of Profilesl in History the Christies of the Hollywood memorabilia world

Thanks BF,
I am familiar with PIH, aren't they the auction house that doesn't check the history of the items they sell? ie: Staff of Ra Headpiece from Raiders that was sold as a screen used piece for $60,000 and I have the same headpiece that I bought from the same people for $450. :angel

I'll watch, but PIH hasn't impressed me for the same reason Jedifyfe stated.
They recently had a Vader lightsaber that was clearly not screen used as claimed and Mr. Maddalena was arrogant enough to go on camera blaming his competition was just jealous and the piece was absolutely legit.
Shortly after the saber was pulled from the auction.
I guess they finally figured it out.

I've read of several other instances where items offered by PIH were not as claimed.

Thanks BF,
I am familiar with PIH, aren't they the auction house that doesn't check the history of the items they sell? ie: Staff of Ra Headpiece from Raiders that was sold as a screen used piece for $60,000 and I have the same headpiece that I bought from the same people for $450. :angel

haha, Yeah I know. I also heard reports were Joe lost his cool with people claiming a certain prop wasn't authentic then days before the auction it was removed.

I will tell you something on Monday when we meet up. It isnt biggy, but just refers to what you just said.

I'll watch, but PIH hasn't impressed me for the same reason Jedifyfe stated.
They recently had a Vader lightsaber that was clearly not screen used as claimed and Mr. Maddalena was arrogant enough to go on camera blaming his competition was just jealous and the piece was absolutely legit.
Shortly after the saber was pulled from the auction.
I guess they finally figured it out.

I've read of several other instances where items offered by PIH were not as claimed.

haha, you beat me to it. Great Minds think alike. ;)

Ya know with so many props making there way off the set in many different ways, It would be a massive undertaking to vet every piece as thoroughly as you might want. I am not picking sides I am just trying to take the stance, "what would I do in there shoes". I would certainly do my do dillegence, but in the end I dont have the hours and hours of time trying to match every scratch on a piece to a screen used scratch. It is a fine line I know. I am also sure that one will argue that they will be selling the piece for thousands of dollars and owe it to there customers.

I am an auctioneer and can tell you that I have sold fake items in the past unknowingly. The Chineese replicate many antiques these days very well. If I would have spent hours investigating a certain piece I might have discovered it. In the auction business you are beholded to the public on both ends of the spectrum. You need them to bring you stuff to sell and you need them to come buy. So you do your best to balance that and try to make both happy as you can. It sometimes is a very difficult balancing act.

Biker

As a big company and well known company such as theirs, they need to make sure every item has 100% providence. If the item is questionable, then it shouldnt be sold. If they dont have the hours or time to search for the providence, then they are in the wrong business.

I remember getting a email from a person that saw my collection online asking if I could see if the helmet he bought was legit production helmet. Well, it turns out the auction company was wrong and he was out thousands..It wasnt PIH, but another company.

^ LOL!!!!!!

yes, provenance is quite different than providence.

darn-it, haha

I sometimes misspell words because I rush my posts since i am usually at work or school..i have auto fix thingy on my mac, so I just point click to fix my spelling. I must have miss that one and press the wrong word..My brain has been fried for the past few days..darn tests

I think I caught the first episode, was at home visiting the rents and saw on their TV some guy talking about starship trooper models and then some other things. my parents recognize its the same type of "things" i like to collect and asked me when I was going to be on the show lol.

the show was ok, was fun to see these things on screen, BUT then...they went to the sony lot, and BAM they were holding the men in black double barrel pistol and the j2 with a bunch of other gadget. i literally freaked out, as a MIB lover i was hooked. so im hoping the show get's better!

and i agree, i hate when someone lists an item as screen used when really its just a replica.

I kind of chuckled with the method they used to "verify" the Mary Poppins bag. I have to wonder if the people who paid large sums of money for these items might be a little put out after seeing how they are deemed screen used, or production made.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back