Holding up heavy antlers?

miwashi

I have a headpiece that has 2 really large antlers or horns and they are held on the head with a simple hairband.
Problem is the horns are really heavy, and keep tilting forward or backward when the head is moved.

Is there any way to secure them better?

Generally when you're working with anything big that sticks out from your head you'll want some kind of plate to keep it anchored to. Even a vacuform plastic plate will work if you bolt the horns to it, or even do what I've done with my latest mask and attach them using epoxy putty. Just make sure both surfaces are really rough, ideally pin or bolt it though since you really don't want them falling off! Not sure what the headpiece looks like though, you might need to add some false hair or something to match yours on top if it's an open headpiece, and add pin points or hair combs underneath the horn plate to secure it firmly to your real hair.

All depends on what kind of mask/headpiece it is really :)

It's just a hairband. The prop is just horns, not a helmet, and I want it to look like it's growing directly out of the head, so I want it to look as minimal as possible.

Hm! Tricky. You might be able to get away with using a wire frame that you can hide in your hair built around the headband maybe, with bobby pins to help anchor it, or maybe try some "invisible" elastic (either the net kind or the clear silicone/plastic kind) which you can help blend in with elastic.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back