Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Book (Movie Version)

Marc Wagner

My brother is a huge HHGTTG fan, and a very hoopy frood :lol, so I decided to make him a replica of the book from the movie.

I thought about several mediums that could work for this kind of project and I settles on ryno board. It is not only about the right thickness, but is easy to work with and durable. Its a simple prop - not made to be super accurate or hero or anything like that.

I took screenshots from the movie and made decals for the cover, sides, and inside. I printed them on sticker sheets on a laser copier so they would have a smooth sheen to them from the toner.
DSCN0751.JPG

I measured and cut the parts from the board, compensating for the material's thickness, using a finished size of 5.5" based on the approximate size seen in people's hands in the movie.
DSCN0752.JPG

When the book opens, there is no visible hinge. To accomplish this, I cut a slit down the center of the spine leaving the bottom of the board intact. This will allow it to open at that point and fold over itself.
DSCN0753.JPG

To create the inside of the book, I cut an inner panel and three strips which are used to form the lip.
DSCN0754.JPG

Then I cut small holes on the outer edges to house magnets which will keep the book shut.
DSCN0758.JPGDSCN0759.JPG

For the outer cover, I attached the front and back panels to the spine.
DSCN0757.JPG

Then the insides were glued on the inside of the cover panels.
DSCN0756.JPG

I painted the whole thing black to that gaps in the stickers wouldn't be as noticeable.
DSCN0761.JPG

Finally, the stickers were applied and on the covers there are cosmetic panels which I cut from chipboard.
DSCN0769.JPGDSCN0765.JPGDSCN0766.JPGDSCN0767.JPG

Update: I'm working on an upgraded model with more accurate decals and a better hinge. I may start an interest list for a run but if not, I'll post my decal files and dimensions here so you can make one yourself.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back