Highlander

HIGHLANDER is maybe my second favorite film (on some days it's in a tie with THE ADVENTURES OF BUCKAROO BANZAI as my favorite).

With both films I'm willing to admit that the characters/concepts are probably greater than the actual end product but that doesn't stop me from enjoying the heck out of both films several times a year. So much so that I flew to New York to see TABB in October and used what little free time I had to hit a few HIGHLANDER locations.

And then freaked out the rest of the people in the airport shuttle van as I realized we were going right past the Silvercup building where the HIGHLANDER final battle took place. They had no idea why I was suddenly pawing my cellphone out of my pocket or what I was trying to get a picture of. Probably thought there was an accident or something.

Yes, the rest of the films are disappointing at best and "oh my God did I really just spend two hours of my life watching that?" awful, but even so I can sometimes watch the first two sequels if I consider HL2 just another Christopher Lambert sci-fi b-movie along the lines of FORTRESS and HL3 as a movie-verse episode of the TV series.

At one time I really liked the Highlander franchise. I liked the first film, thought the third was cool (but 2 was stupid) and really got into the series. I thought Methos was a cool character (alive for over 5,000 years, was even a bad guy at one time).

In the last few years I have rewatched parts of the series. Just a few months ago I watched the movie on Netflix.

It's amazing just how bad it is. Lambert is a bad actor.

The flashbacks are great, and the opening sequence in the arena and the fight afterwards are pretty awesome. But it's one of those films where the idea is better than the actual reality is. If anything ought to be remade, it's highlander.

The franchise has no continuity whatsoever. I mean, the first film ends with the Connor killing the Kurgan, winning The Prize, becoming mortal and having the ability to influence the thoughts of world leaders. Didn't he win the prize in each subsequent film? Until he made Duncan cut his head off in one of the sequels?

The series is even worse. The two parter where Methos and Kronos get the four horseman back together is so cheasy it's almost unbearable.

My old roomie and I used to watch this religiously just about every week. We were totally into it. This was around the early 90's. We were so into it I started an unofficial adaptation of the Highlander/Immortal mythos for the World of Darkness so we could start playing them.

Never liked the sequels and never got into the TV show, but the original was awesome. There *should* have been only one.

It's a film that may have had huge flaws, but the heart and soul were in the right place somehow and it seems to have worked magic back then.

It also helped that we were all much younger and maybe not so critical of acting, accents and plot holes a mile wide.

The TV show was not bad at all...

I don't think it was the same success in the USA than in Europe..
But the show really deserves to be seen !

Yes It was HUGE in Europe much more popular there than the States!!

Big fan of the Series here!!

The TV show was not bad at all...

I don't think it was the same success in the USA than in Europe..
But the show really deserves to be seen !

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back