HIC BUILD THREAD - LAST BUILD DAY May 27th!

Re: HIC BUILD THREAD - Next build day April 22nd?

I'll try and make it. My daughter is in a basketball tournament in Hamilton and we wont know the playoff schedule until Sat.

I'll try and make it. My daughter is in a basketball tournament in Hamilton and we wont know the playoff schedule until Sat.

(y)thumbsup:thumbsup

I have a feeling on Sunday I'll be spending a lot of time on the resin side panels, your expertise... :) Maybe we can make them so realistic that someone will break something off of them! :$

As long as we can get Gil to take a video of the heinous act of desecration for future blackmail purposes:p

Im going to head down around 1-2pm... Got some work commitments I can't get out of :(

No camera this time, may grab the computer and show you the video as a WIP... Well see...

Any problems, send me a SMS. I am offline till Sunday morning. Love to se eyou there Neil...

(Sigh, What did I get myself into!) :)

-Skyler101

As long as we can get Gil to take a video of the heinous act of desecration for future blackmail purposes:p

:lol Ya, I deserve that...

Anyone that shows up can see my recent table saw wound if they want to. ;)

Sorry I couldn't make it Sunday, my daughters team won bronze though. I'll try for next tim.

how did I miss this?????
I'll be watching from now on :)

(y)thumbsup:thumbsup

Nearing the end now (aside from the panels)

I spent the week prior to Sunday applying bondo and sanding. Wash, rinse, repeat until the whole thing was smooth as glass. Then on Sunday I applied three coats of poly to the whole thing to seal it tight.

7108624077_73631af1b2.jpg

That's about when Gil arrived. We then screwed Han to the table and attempted to glue the edges down with a glue I was told should work... It didn't.

So we decided that the screws would suffice and the edges would be covered but the poured white glue. We started pouring (after dusting and leveling the table).

7108623029_391bd06cc0.jpg

7108625099_e695796815.jpg

6962553248_34ffc4c4a4.jpg

It looked FANTASTIC. Everything was going according to plan...

6962557860_f21ba26da1.jpg

7108635389_10d557d021.jpg

7108633071_c86131407f.jpg

Unfortunately though it's getting cold here now and it's supposed to be that way for a few days. The glue is taking FOREVER to dry and *gasp* the rubber edges are starting to peel up!

*Sigh*. That's trial and error for you... Generally more error than try. :facepalm

At this point I'm going to wait for the glue to dry and then cut the rubber that's sticking out. Then I'll build up a couple spots that need it with Bondo and apply more glue. I'm hoping that'll do the trick.

Glue is drying oh so slowly... Good thing I don't have any leaks! :lol

It's cracking a bit, but thinner top coats should fix that no problem. Still annoyed that I'll have to trim the rubber though. At the rate it's going the first coat should be hard on Thursday.

My wife has cleared me for another work day this Sunday! I'll update the thread title. Gil leaves soon. Would love to have the carbonite finished before he goes. :thumbsup

Re: HIC BUILD THREAD - Next build day April 29th!

As far as I know, I'll definitely be there, maybe closer to noon.

O_B, I have your address.

A productive day with Neil & Andrew! Not much to see but we worked on the resin side panels cleaning them up. Not completely done but getting there! I also trimmed the rubber edging of Han and sanded the box one last time. When the glue FINALLY dries on Han I'll use some silicone caulking (at Neil's suggestion) to smooth out the edges of Han and then resume pouring thinner coats of white glue until I get the look I want.

I enjoyed myself.
It was good to see Mike and Neil again.
I got some useful pointers on using a Dremel, like which particular bits/accessories work best with certain materials.

Mike has a lot of patience, that's for sure. The Han in Carbonite is a big project.

It will be nice to see how it evolves to a finished piece.

Make sure you use the paintable caulking though.

Fun afternoon, I think I wore about 10 lbs of resin home in my clothes!

Wishing I was there, thats for sure...
I have a feeling you got more done without me there!

Where are the pics? Missed being in your garage this last weekend, but you know, things are a little crazy and all, getting ready for a wedding and all that! :) :)

Talk soon...

-Skyler101

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back