Hi, New Guy's FM Falcon

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by mktodd, Jun 29, 2006.

1. mktodd

mktodd Well-Known Member

Hi, I'm a long time reader, but this is my first post to this forum. I took advantage of the new members sign up period and thought I'd introduce myself with a couple of examples of my recent work. I've already posted these to the Starship Modeller forum and I got some good feedback. I'd love to hear what you guys think. :thumbsdown :thumbsup ?

This is my Fine molds Falcon. I finally finished the wiring last week and I'm pretty pleased with the look. There are a couple of issues that I intend to address soon, the gaps in the piping being the main one.

The cockpit back wall is a backlit tarnsparency of a cockpit graphic I knocked up, the console, 3PO's eyes, red running lights and small lower mandible lights are fiber optics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The engine uses Falcon Designs clear engine piece recasts (Thanks Alex, they look great) with some EL tape running behind them. I lightly sprayed the thrusters with a mist of silver so that when the lights are off it's so dark in there they look solid, not clear.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are Leds in the gunwells and headlights. The gunwell walls have decals I made of the interior based on screenshots and reference, not that you can see much of the gunwell interior in the pics, they look better in person.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are the running lights.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Blast Damage I added

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I carved out the overhang between the mandibles and the hull plates, the notches on the rims and insets. I trimmed the plates back from the outer edge entirely in three spots to match the shooting miniature.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g54/mktodd/FM%20FALCON/IMG_2414.jpg[/img

I didn't "correct" the madible angle as I didn't feel it was worth the effort and risk. To me, it's not that big a deal. I did add some more detail to a few spots and might go back later and add some
    more to the Upper Jaw box sides and front, a la Quarz' [url="http://12-parsecs.blogspot.com/"]http://12-parsecs.blogspot.com/[/url] but for now, I'm going to give it a break as I've been working on this since the kit came out and I'm in danger of ruining it if I do too much. When I saw Quarz' piece on accurizing the docking port plating I kicked myself because I should've done the same, but I'd already carved the damage, assembled and painted the pieces.

I might revisit them later, maybe if I can get hold of a extra set as they are held on with magnets (and fiber optics, but that doesn't matter) The screw covers and the side "Gearbox" pieces are also held on with magnets so I can get in to replace the four 9v batteries when they die. I have two circuits inside, one for the engine EL strip and another for the LED's. The switch for both is the Dish. Everythings turned on by twisting it.

I think this kit is probably the best mass produced kit I have ever seen or had the pleasure to build. Every other kit manufacturer should take a leaf out of FineMolds book. The detail and engineering is amazing. I know it's lacking in a few places, but the quality far outshines any deficiencies, most of which can be adressed easily.

I hope you like it

[url="http://s53.photobucket.com/albums/g54/mktodd/FM%20FALCON/"]http://s53.photobucket.com/albums/g54/mktodd/FM%20FALCON/[/url]

Here is my Slave 1

[img]http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g54/mktodd/FM%20Slave-1/IMG_2485.jpg

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the album...

http://s53.photobucket.com/albums/g54/mktodd/FM%20Slave-1/

it's based on the Jango Fett one and I didn't go to a lot of effort to correct the differences. I should've waited for the Boba version obviously...

So, there you have it. I look forward to hearing what you think...

Thanks

Toddski

korben44 and rbeach84 like this.
  2. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

And probably one of the best first posts one is likely to read.

That really IS a fantastic buildup. Love the lightsheet cockpit and engine backlight.

...and all the little floods and spotlights you incorporated.

Paint job and weathering? First rate.

Most excellent...

3. Ewok

Ewok Active Member

WOW...this is awesome. Absolutely fantastic paintjob. Really love the details you put in. Looks like a bunch of work but the result is worth every minute you've spent. Congrats :thumbsup

by the way.....what are those references you had in the background? Looks like a poster of some kind. The top shot of the falcon looks great and crispy sharp on this one. What is it?

4. mktodd

mktodd Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Ewok @ Jun 29 2006, 11:42 AM) [snapback]1270863[/snapback]</div>

It's a mosaic I put together of reference photos from Maths Halstensen's site.
    http://www.halstensen.com/

The photo's were really good and helped A LOT in the painting of this model. It did take a long time but as you say, it was worth it.

Thanks, I'm glad you like it....

:)

5. IndyMike

IndyMike New Member

Amazing. You put the rest of us new posters (with no props to show) to shame. ;)

Is this kit still available?

6. JP05

JP05 Well-Known Member

Outstanding work .........

I love the Slave 1 WOW...

7. HAL9000

HAL9000 Sr Member

You see. That's what we need round these parts - more show than blow.

WOW.
    :eek :eek :eek :eek

8. Lupus Yonderboy

Lupus Yonderboy Well-Known Member

What an introduction.
    Mind-bogglind work mate, welcome.
    I particularly like 3P0's eyes and the "dish-switch" solution :)

9. Jeeves

Jeeves Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Gaaah.
    stunning, stunning, stunning.

You lit 3po's eyes...you are nuts.

thanks for posting.
    :D

-RAj

10. mktodd

mktodd Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Jeeves @ Jun 29 2006, 12:24 PM) [snapback]1270892[/snapback]</div>

My Wife would readily agree, I am indeed nuts. But Happy.

Glad you like all like them, it makes the many hours spent going crosseyed and losing sleep worth it...

:) :D

11. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

Saw this on the other forum... VERY nice work. And welcome...

12. binkleywalker

binkleywalker Sr Member

Good Lord.

All posts like this do is make me wish i had kept my receipt so i could just return mine.

That is fantastic.

What an inspiration.

Brian

And the third picture down, the 'window' in the jaw where there is a light, the right corner of that 'window' that isn't the chess table in there, is it?

13. mktodd

mktodd Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(binkleywalker @ Jun 29 2006, 07:03 PM) [snapback]1271138[/snapback]</div>

In a moment of clarity, I decided NOT to do the interior. It was a close call, though. I'd never have finished it, mind, but I was tempted. ;)

14. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

HandSolo called me about this...

GREAT job Toddski.

15. PHArchivist

Is your cockpit permanently attached, or removable to access lighting?

16. mktodd

mktodd Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(PHArchivist @ Jun 30 2006, 11:05 AM) [snapback]1271584[/snapback]</div>
    It's removable. It's attached using the kits mounting points, which are pretty tight and hold it on well. I might add some magnets but it might be overkill, it's a pretty good hold

<div class='quotetop'>(Lupus Yonderboy @ Jun 29 2006, 12:23 PM) [snapback]1270890[/snapback]</div>
    The Dish Switch worked out pretty well, it's a good way to get one switch to do both jobs. If you turn it so far it switches on the lights, turn it some more the engines come on. 3PO's eyes were fiddly. It was tricky to drill them out and run the fiber optics through the floor and seat without snapping.. The Console lights were easier as the cable run was less convoluted. For the back wall, I used two high output LEDS set a little way back with a .01 sheet of evergreen styrene inbetween as a diffuser.

17. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'></div>
    Ah so. This explains the visible seams. I get it now.

I didn't have the heart to 'criticize' your work on this, because I sure the hell don't think I could do any better, but the seams did show and I was wondering.

I'm not wondering any more. ;)

18. STEVE THE SWEDE

STEVE THE SWEDE Sr Member

Holy crap, now that's just awesome. Got to be two of the best models I've ever seen around here. I just don't know which one I love the most, Falcon or Slave.? Incredible. :cheers

Do you mind if I ask you a question, I've always thought those "El sheet" engines looked really fake. Always to dim and no where near the look of the flourcent tubes used on the real falcon models. Yours however looks very nice and bright, almost dead on the look of the new CG falcon blasting out of docking bay 94. So, is it just the pics or is your El sheet just as bright in real life?

Cheers,

Steve.

19. mktodd

mktodd Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(STEVE THE SWEDE @ Jun 30 2006, 02:00 PM) [snapback]1271718[/snapback]</div>

Wow. Thanks, you're too kind..

The EL strip I used, a computer case lighting mod, is pretty bright. It's not as blazingly bright as I'd like, but it's not bad. Like you said, it looks as bright as the escape from Mos Eisley, not as bright as full power on the run from Ties on Bespin.

<div class='quotetop'>(Hand Solo @ Jun 30 2006, 12:09 PM) [snapback]1271653[/snapback]</div>
    Ah so. This explains the visible seams. I get it now.

I didn't have the heart to 'criticize' your work on this, because I sure the hell don't think I could do any better, but the seams did show and I was wondering.

I'm not wondering any more. ;)
    [/b][/quote]

Now you've gone and done it. :cry I'll have to see if I can do anything about this now. Not that it looks bad in person. I knew I shouldn't have posted.. ;)

T

20. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

^ It doesn't look bad. And if you have to keep that section removeable I certainly understand.

Hard to conceal joins in an area like that if you periodically have to access it. The only reasons the joins stand out is because of the closeups and quality of your photography AND the attention to detail paid the rest of the ship.

You've got a technical reason for leaving the joins as is. It's no big. It's the only 'crit' I could ever have really made, and it's not even a valid crit at all.

Carry on. :thumbsup

21. mktodd

mktodd Well-Known Member

Here are some photo's I took to document the painting of the Slave 1. There aren't as many as I thought I'd taken, but it gives you an idea. The photo's aren't as good, as didn't have a tripod for these.

I'd already done the skirt at this stage, using much the same method as I'll describe here. I painted a base colour first:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see, The Chronicles came in very handy, apart from not having a photo of the left hand side.

Then, in light coloured pencil, I drew the outline of the second, darker coat I wanted to overspray:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then, using masking fluid, I covered the areas I didn't want the darker coat on:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After spraying the second darker coat, this is what it looked like. I'd also done the darker green panels by this time as well:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The process for the skirt was very similar except that it had a second stage of masking after the first overspray with the pinkish colur, which I then oversprayed with the darker Hull Red mix to get the chipped paint look. I applied the masking fluid with a piece of torn up scotchbrite pad to get the randomness of the chipped edge and filling in the rest with a brushed coat.

I must have stopped taking pictures after that, as I can't find any of the later stages of painting where I brush painted all the scorches, panel lines and a third layer of lighter colour down the "Trunk"

This is my work area, with many boxed kits yet to be built. I'd better get a move on before our second kid arrives in September.

[​IMG]

Sorry it's not more complete. Maybe next time.

Thanks

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
    knnyjay and rbeach84 like this.
  22. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

Thats the best FMMF falcon ive seen, maybe one of the best falcons ive seen, amazing work.....lee

23. mktodd

mktodd Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(ralphee @ Jul 2 2006, 07:39 AM) [snapback]1272475[/snapback]</div>
    Wow. High praise indeed..

It's not perfect, and I could have done more to make it more accurate, but then if I didn't stop, it'd never get finished.

Thanks.

24. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

^ It's awesome.

And I hear you about knowing when to stop.

Your in-progress and how-to on detailing the Slave I was much appreciated and a great read. Thank you.

25. mktodd

mktodd Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Hand Solo @ Jul 2 2006, 04:04 PM) [snapback]1272700[/snapback]</div>

Hand Solo and Bill Murray doing something odd with a pump. Some kind of Double Entendre, methinks?

:love

Seriously, though. I have to go back in now and fix some stuff. It'll bug me till I do......

I Hope I don't screw it up.... :eek

26. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

May da Schwartz be wit' you. :D

It's a ball-washer. SHhhh. I don't want peeps to get the wrong idea.

27. Duck9000

Duck9000 Well-Known Member

Awesome job on that Falcon. :eek . I want it now..... :cry ...please? :(

28. Qrest Fourstar

Qrest Fourstar Sr Member

Thanks allot Toddski. My jaw just shattered my keyboard..

I've gotta request, what colors did you use on that Slave 1? I stopped working on my modified Slave 1 because I was happy with my colors, then of course they announce The new model due out soon. Both ships are absolutely fantastic... :eek

29. mktodd

mktodd Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Duck9000 @ Jul 5 2006, 01:12 PM) [snapback]1274643[/snapback]</div>
    It would be like selling one of the kids.. Which would be bad.. Obviously. :confused

30. mktodd

mktodd Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Paul Heaberlin @ Jul 5 2006, 03:19 PM) [snapback]1274741[/snapback]</div>
    I used Tamiya Acrylics on both the falcon and the Slave 1. (Which I've just realised I pre-ordered the new Boba version. So I'll have two. I forgot I'd pre-ordered it. Don't really need it now, ah well...)

For the Slave 1, the Skirt I used three levels of color, the base, which was DeckTan with a little buff, to warm it up a bit (a LITTLE bit) then I masked and oversprayed Hull Red mixed with decktan and flat white to get the "Pink" regions. Then I masked again and oversprayed with Hull red mixed with a little flat white and yellow, as Hull Red is a little too dark. I just mixed till it matched the photos in the chronicles.

For the main Hull, I sprayed the same base color as the skirt, masked off the "Trunk", some chipped areas on the hemispheres and the panels that aren't green. On one side I aslo flicked masking fluid on with a toothbrush to get the spattered effect. Then I sprayed RLM grey, it's a dark greenish grey.
    Over that I sprayed a thinned mix of clear yellow, which warmed and brightened the green. I used the same technique for the panels on the trunk that needed it.

For the main body , I used RLM grey mixed with flat white and a littel yellow to get the mid green. After I had sprayed all this, I realised the base colour for the trunk was wrong, it wasn't tan, it was a light green, so I masked off the areas I didn't want to overspray and gave it a thin coat of RLM grey mixed with a flat white and yellow till it was a very light green. It was thinned down a lot so as to almost transparent. I just built up layers till it looked right.

For the blast and soot marks, I used German grey and flat black. I try to avoid using falt black on it's own as it can look too dark and unrealistic, lightening in just a bit with german grey helped sell the scale.

31. falcondesigns

falcondesigns Well-Known Member

Thanks for the kind words,I'm glad the parts worked out.They look fantastic,and your build,well I dont have the words of praise to tell you how outstanding it is.Alexander

32. Qrest Fourstar

Qrest Fourstar Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(falcondesigns @ Jul 6 2006, 05:21 PM) [snapback]1275483[/snapback]</div>

Are you still offering those parts? Also, whats the update on the clear cast rear wall?

I should have known it was the Tamiya's. Am I the ONLY person modeling these days that can't use those worth a crap? I even have about 20 bottles. Waste of money. I never use them..

The real trick though is the masking. You've done a spectacular job at that.

33. falcondesigns

falcondesigns Well-Known Member

Hi Paul,yes I'm still making them,and I will be redoing the cockpit molds this weekend.Just PM me if you need them.Alexander

34. PHArchivist

<div class='quotetop'>(falcondesigns @ Jul 7 2006, 01:50 AM) [snapback]1275593[/snapback]</div>
    I may have missed something.. What parts are these?

35. mktodd

mktodd Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(PHArchivist @ Jul 6 2006, 06:54 PM) [snapback]1275600[/snapback]</div>
    I may have missed something.. What parts are these?
    [/b][/quote]

falcondesigns made some clear resin casts of the engine thrusters for the FM falcon. I got some from him to use in my falcon. You can see through them ;) in the pics of the engines

36. mktodd

mktodd Well-Known Member

A colleague at work managed to yank the dish off so I had to take it home. Whilst there I saw QuartZ's updates on the Engine deck details and piping.

Sigh....

So, at the risk of Driving my wife nuts I went in and added more stuff. The photo's aren't that good this time, I didn't have a tripod, so the depth of field went out the window....

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g54/mkto...ON/IMG_2831.jpg
    http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g54/mkto...ON/IMG_2842.jpg
    http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g54/mkto...ON/IMG_2829.jpg

On the Jaw box too. I added the missing greeblies and pipes.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g54/mkto...ON/IMG_2838.jpg
    http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g54/mkto...ON/IMG_2835.jpg
    http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g54/mkto...ON/IMG_2841.jpg

I added a little detail on the left mandible and on the left gearbox. Juat two little peices...

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g54/mkto...ON/IMG_2834.jpg
    http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g54/mkto...ON/IMG_2832.jpg

and in the right rear mandible pit I added some sidewall detail. I added another piece after these photo's were taken....

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g54/mkto...ON/IMG_2840.jpg
    http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g54/mkto...ON/IMG_2837.jpg

I hate flash photography, it makes everythign look crap. I'll take some better pics with a tripod later...

Oh, and I fixed the dish too... :)

37. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

There's always a fat-fingered dope in every crowd.

Sorry to hear that...

38. Boxster

Boxster Well-Known Member

Now that is the nicest looking Slave 1 I ever seen. Job very well done there. Well done...

B

39. Light_Tech

Light_Tech Active Member

The moments when you thank broadband internet speed when you find a thread like this one. Fantastic photos, those look awsome :D :thumbsup

Chris

40. REL

REL Sr Member

I agree with everyone here. That's the best Slave I've ever seen, my jaw literally fell open on a few of those pics.

41. mktodd

mktodd Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(REL @ Jul 14 2006, 02:02 AM) [snapback]1280519[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks Guys... Broadband RULES.. Good reference, patience and a level of obsessive insanity goes a long way.

[​IMG]

42. mktodd

mktodd Well-Known Member

Hi, Quartz was asking in another thread about the Fiber optics I added, so I thought I'd share this...

I got several feet of Jacketed Cable in a couple of different diameters from this place:

http://www.fiberopticproducts.com/

It was pretty cheap and you can cut it to length and depending on the footage you order, there should be plenty to spare.

A couple if tips. Don't use Superglue or styrene glue, it will melt the fiber. Use expoxy resin to glue it in place.

Also, leave a few cm's sticking out whilst you paint then cut it back when you're done. I also used some red ligthing gel to get the red lights. Rather than have a different red LED with different voltage drop and current draw I used another of the white leds I had. It made the wiring easier.

So, there you have it...

43. QuartZ

QuartZ Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yes, I had some questions about this indeed. Ok, so I'm gonna fish for some details before I order this stuff. What size did you end up using for the small running lights? They look perfect.
    What size are the larger ones near the escape pods?

How many feet would you recommend I order?

Do you mean epoxy glue? Like two-part 5 minute epoxy? I have pleanty of that :)

Did you just cut your ends flush on the exterior? I noticed you created some round trim around each light. Any tips on those?

Finally, if you could, explain where you put the red gel? I assume you only needed a tiny bit to go between the White LED and the ends of the fiber optic bundle for the running lights. But how did you keep it all together? Epoxy?

Thanks again.

44. mktodd

mktodd Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(QuartZ @ Jul 18 2006, 11:58 AM) [snapback]1283230[/snapback]</div>
    I ordered 3ft of .25mm and 3ft of .5mm jacketed cable. It's a LOT cheaper than spools, but you have to be careful not to cut fibers when you strip the jacket off.

Yep, the 5 min epoxy is what I used. All the running lights were .5mill fiber, I think the ones on the escape pods look larger becuase thay are face on to the camera. The trim around the running lights was simply made from cutting pieces from the little red tubes you get on cans of Keyboard duster that I had around. A couple would be enough.

I cut the ends flush after painting and CAREFULLY made a little lens on the ends using drops of ZapaGap, applied with the tip of an exacto blade.

I had some light traps left over from a Ertl fiber optic star destoyer, basically tubes with holes in the end for the legs of the LEDS to poke through and a cap you poke the fiber through at the other end. I painted the inner wall of the trap with silver paint to stop leakage and put the red acetate between the led and the fiber in the trap.

The fibers are held in place using expoxy on the inner surface of the hull and with electrical tape at the light trap end. leave holes at the leg end of the light trap to stop heat build up that could shorten the LED lifespan...

That enough :)

45. QuartZ

QuartZ Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

One more thing...just kidding. :)

I think that's pleanty to go on. Zapagap huh? Interesting. I've seen this stuff in the stores. isn't it a pretty thick glue or something? I guess a tiny dot of it would create a nice lens if it dries pretty quickly and doesn't run down your model.

I ordered my fiber optics. In all seriousness, what are you using to drill holes at .25 and .5mm? Do they make pin vise drill bits in that size?

Sorry for all the questions, I'll give you credit on the blog when I get to the lighting portion.

46. mktodd

mktodd Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(QuartZ @ Jul 18 2006, 03:54 PM) [snapback]1283409[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, you have to be careful. Not too much or it can run. Just enough to bead up into a drop on the tip of the fiber. Then just leave it for a while.

To drill the holes I marked off where I wanted them and used one of these.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.js...rentPage=search

It's a very cool little toolset. They have another that has tiny files of various shapes, round, curved, flat, square and triangular as well. Invaluable..

Cool. A credit.. Fame at LAST..

T

47. atacpdx

atacpdx Well-Known Member

Can you give that link again for RS's drill? It didn't work in your last post.

<div class='quotetop'>(toddski @ Jul 18 2006, 11:06 PM) [snapback]1283427[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, you have to be careful. Not too much or it can run. Just enough to bead up into a drop on the tip of the fiber. Then just leave it for a while.

To drill the holes I marked off where I wanted them and used one of these.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.js...rentPage=search

It's a very cool little toolset. They have another that has tiny files of various shapes, round, curved, flat, square and triangular as well. Invaluable..

Cool. A credit.. Fame at LAST..

T
    [/b][/quote]

48. mktodd

mktodd Well-Known Member

Odd, they've taken them off the site. It was a Kronus precision drill set. They have them in the stores if you want to try there... The file set too.

Strange....

:unsure

49. mktodd

mktodd Well-Known Member

I just received some very nice clear cast FM cockpit pieces from Alex (FalconDesigns)

The pieces are the Back Wall, the Console, floor/Sidepanels and the front cap piece, they look VERY nice and should make lighting the Falcon I'm about to build MUCH easier.

I'm not sure if Alex is offering them for general consumption yet, but my little preview of them makes me think that poeple WILL be wanting to get them.....

Thanks Alex..

50. Jediscum

Jediscum Well-Known Member