Hero X-Wing Build

-... . .- --..

Sr Member
So, I've been working on a hero buildup using Mike's V3 fuselage and scratchbuilt wings. Spent a few days after receiving my copy prepping the out-of-the-box wings, but the more I stared at reference, the more I wanted that hollow wing look of the actual hero miniatures.

So I pulled out some drawings made a few years back based on measurements taken from some pyro wing patterns I have, and cross-referenced with pictures of the hero models. Been remeasuring and refining those drawings in Illustrator until I have what I consider to be wing plans that are as true to the original hero models as possible.

Also been working out the component parts of the wings and am deciding whether or not to have some of them cut from acrylic, like the originals, or to build the whole thing out of styrene. Part of the fun of this effort has been determining not just the kinds of materials used on the original wings, but the thickness of that material and, where it exits, precise taper of each component.

When I'm finished with these drawings, I'm considering sending them out to have the acrylic components laser cut, and perhaps even the panel lines laser etched.

Before I get that far, though, I've built several mockups and now a prototype hero wing out of styrene and double sided tape to make sure that my drawings translate into something build-able in three dimensions. Here are some shots I took tonight:

Again, this is just a prototype. I'm currently working on the engine box and wingtip insert for this, and am casting up new wing greeblies using all original parts. Just pulled the Holgate & Reynolds brick sheet out of the closet as well.

More to come...

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed - Top shelf stuff, Beaz! We are experiencing an X-Wing renaissance, eh?! Cool to see you go where few have gone before with this!

Great work Beaz. Looking good.

I have a set of styrene wings that I built years ago for my abandoned scratch. They have warped a little. I live in a fairly hot country but I still wouldn't have expected it.

Cheers,
Martyn

Thanks all. I really appreciate the feedback.

I have a set of styrene wings that I built years ago for my abandoned scratch. They have warped a little. I live in a fairly hot country but I still wouldn't have expected it.

Yeah, well it can get hot and humid where I live, too. I've only got half the correct thickness on the styrene wing spars I used to slap together this prototype, and the wing sandwich seems plenty strong enough, even just taped together. Even so, I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with acrylic for the components of the wings that were originally cut from acrylic. That way I won't have to worry about warping.

Yesterday I completed my first hero wing, I'm in awe how strong it is !

Sweet - show us some pics! :) If you don't mind me asking, what are yours made from?

PLEASE keep posting updates to this. You are doing much more than posting progress pics - you are giving info about correct construction. THIS IS PRICELESS. :love

Beaz, I hate you. :) My Whitley is still in the post, and so's my Phantom, though I already have one engine courtesy of a friend. Or do I not need two - are all the rear engines made up of the same half only? Except for pyros I guess, since the Sealab part is inset into the lower half?

I dropped on the Whitley landing gear and sketched out the panel lines.
Yup, the rear engines had panel lines.

They sure do, I put them on my first pattern. It sucked in every other way, though, LOL.

Still have some cleanup to do. Hope to add the rear greeblies tonight, time permitting.

It's looking great. Don't forget the styrene strips at the extreme rear, on the ring the turkey feathers mount to. Or is that model-specific?

Hey, what are you going to do for the Sealab part; have you got a Sealab by any chance? If so, care to sell some castings?

Cheers,
Martyn

PS the cones at the front of the engines are not the same on heros as those on your pyro casting. I think the profile is different, and they definitely have a disc at the base.

Also those strips I referred to are on at least Red 1, 2, 3 and 5.

Great work, Beaz. Doesn't that white pipe turn off and meet the central ring though? I haven't got my refs handy so ignore me if I'm misrecalling it.

We knew the hero engines were cast in halves because of the Red 3 damage, but I'd never lined up the panel lines to check. I'm not surprised to hear there was only one half though - dang, didn't need that new Phantom. At least it was cheap! :) The Whitley part overlapping the Sealab part is news to me though. Cool.

Shame about your casting. The hero cone pieces look like they fit right inside the front of the engine. Could be a part or an assemblage of parts.

Cheers,
Martyn

PS Oh good, you got them. :)

Beaz,

Yeah - I was thinking of Jay's pyro-casting pics, but they're just underlit - the edge of the styrene chip detail looks like a continuation of the pipe, but isn't.

Happy casting!

Flintlock,

The top right part is cut up and used inside the inner-wing engine bays; the 'rack' parts are also present (cut in half) on the inner-wing engines of some hero models and the clear tube is the part used by ILM for the lower intake halves. Dunno about the little greeblie though.

Cheers,
Martyn

Great work Kev!

The small part should be part #9 from the sealab used on the forward engine intakes (to the side).

Don't forget to use the 1/15 STUG jacks!!! As the hummel isn't correct. :)

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back