Here Goes Something Awesome!

It's more than just painting too... start looking for model railroad bulbs to do the self-lighting system. :D

http://www.culttvman.com/kyu-woong_lee_s_movie_enterpri.html

(this isn't the studio miniature... this is the old AMT kit. Think of what the new 3-foot Polar kit is gonna look like... ;)  )

kyuenttm17.JPG

Originally posted by Bryancd@May 7 2005, 09:49 PM
Stop typing and keep working...
[snapback]982607[/snapback]​

yes sir . . .D'oh...

and thanks for all the reference photos phase pistol...
i'm done typing now . . .

Good grief... I wish I'd seen these painting/detailing threads and pics before I bought mine... there's no way I can ever do this model kit justice.

I just got mine in today...

Oh... my... god...

This thing is GIGANTIC. I temp assembled it and put it on my Entertainment Center in the living room just to gawk at its awesomeness... :)

I have no idea where to start. I do know I'm going to make a couple of changes so far.

A new VIP lounge based on TMP and Mr Scott's guide to the enterprise. That thing actually makes more sense than that Directors Cut nonsense and PLs solution with the Decals... bleeech.

I also need to come up with a better solution than that stand... I may even want to hang this, but I doubt it.

I'm also going to make a warp sled for one of those cute little TMP shuttlewedges... :)

-Gary

Originally posted by gw2tulsa@May 8 2005, 03:23 AM
I just got mine in today...

Oh... my... god...

This thing is GIGANTIC. I temp assembled it and put it on my Entertainment Center in the living room just to gawk at its awesomeness... :)

I have no idea where to start. I do know I'm going to make a couple of changes so far.

A new VIP lounge based on TMP and Mr Scott's guide to the enterprise. That thing actually makes more sense than that Directors Cut nonsense and PLs solution with the Decals... bleeech.

I also need to come up with a better solution than that stand... I may even want to hang this, but I doubt it.

I'm also going to make a warp sled for one of those cute little TMP shuttlewedges... :)

-Gary
[snapback]982759[/snapback]​

Yeah, I hear the Lounge is not even see-able (new word) through the windows, so don't kill yourself working on it.

Here are some frame grabs from TMP... despite the fact that the Enterprise miniature herself is exquisitely detailed and finished, for most of the picture she's photographed so darkly and murkily, you can't make much out. :unsure

http://homepage.mac.com/ktate/extra/TMP-1701_pix/index.htm

503.jpg

497.jpg

I boosted color and contrast where I could in these.. sacrificing detail in the spotlight areas for better overall balance (IMHO).

One thing you might note is how the lighting changes on the exterior... in drydock she's lit (pretty consistently) by dock spots, but when she goes to internal illumination she looks different in practically every shot. Note how the registry illumination on the lower primary hull changes shape and size, for example.

Also the deflector SEEMS to be bronze when OFF (ship at rest) and lit BLUE when at warp (but sometimes when ABOUT to go to warp).

Also the inside cutouts on the warp nacelles themselves are dark when at rest, lit BLUE when at warp... but sometimes lit blue also when at rest in or near V'Ger.

- K

Thanks for the tips Hotshot..

Great reference pics Phase pistol..
These will help immensly.

I ordered my kit through my local hobby shop last week, I hope to get it in a week or two.

I see the Aztech Vinyl painting templates are out of stock on CultTVman, I hope they don't go out of stock again when they get them back.

Lynn

Originally posted by Bryancd@May 8 2005, 06:26 AM

Yeah, I hear the Lounge is not even see-able (new word) through the windows, so don't kill yourself working on it.
[snapback]982803[/snapback]​

I'd heard it suggested to use thinner clear styrene for the lounge... Don't know if that will make it more visible or not - but read it somewhere...

Yeah, there are a couple areas where I'd use a thinner plastic. The VIP Lounge and Botanical Gardens are two top choices.

I was playing around with some dry fitting last night and this thing is amazing. The Shuttle bay is very cool, but I'll be damned if you could even see half of it installed in the ship...

I'm debating about building it OUTSIDE the ship. That would give me more room for electronics and what-not in the secondary hull...

Also, I made some progress on the warp sled to go with those wedge shuttles... I just couldn't help myself after thinking about it more :)

-Gary

I do believe that the shuttle bay will need to be sacrificed on mine as well. It is a damn cool feature, but I just don't see myself building it.

JDH

I'm gonna put a post out on SSM for anyone planning to do a Reliant Conversion. I should be able to score and extra secondary hull that way. Then I can build the Shuttle bay in a nice cutaway secondary and even put in more detail - perhaps engineering and the warp core?

-Gary

IIRC its just the bottom of the secondary hull to replicate the paneling between the refit and the A version. The sides and top are the same and there is only enough for one ship...

-Gary

OK here are some caps from "Wrath of Khan" for ya., both Enterprise and Reliant... note the changes from TMP (the hull has been dulled down, the configuration of self-illumination areas is different, etc.

Several FX shots lifted from TMP are reused here however... notably the flyover when Enterprise leaves drydock is much longer in WOK, so I capped the extra footage.

http://homepage.mac.com/ktate/extra/WOK-1701_pix/index.htm

641.jpg

812.jpg

687.jpg

Note also that there's an enlarged section of Enterprise used when closeups of the neck and photon torpedo launcher area are shown (ie when Reliant's phasers open the hull like a can opener)... this parital model does not match the full miniature in every detail.

762.jpg

The travel pod sequence from the first movie (recycled in WOK) also uses an enlarged partial miniature section of the secondary hull.

476.jpg

Also the secondary hull in WOK looks really grungy... there seem to be inscribed panel lines or scratches or something all over the secondary hull and warp pylons. Compare this ugly mess to the smooth unmarked hull in TMP. :unsure (and no this is not battle damage).

707.jpg

You can see a raised area stuck-on to the side of the secondary hull as well in that shot (fwd of the docking port)... I seem to recall they had to open up the model to change or repair the electical wiring, perhaps all that is to camouflage where they had to operate.

- k

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back