Henry Jones' Grail Diary

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by kalkamel, Mar 23, 2006.

1. kalkamel

kalkamel Sr Member

Hi,

Just thought I'd share with you pics of my latest completed prop project, the Grail Diary from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

Front cover
    [​IMG]

First page
    [​IMG]

Newspaper clipping
    [​IMG]

The Omphalos page
    [​IMG]

Pic of Indy and Dad
    [​IMG]

Roman numerals scrap
    [​IMG]

Three trials
    [​IMG]

Western Union telegram
    [​IMG]

Diary and Package
    [​IMG]

2. Endless Wonder

Endless Wonder Sr Member

VERY nice. :thumbsup This is one of my all time favorite props. I never tire of looking at them.

I'm assuming you made it? Care to discuss some the work that went into it? :D

3. kalkamel

kalkamel Sr Member

The diary was based on a printable grail diary made by Cokewithvanilla over at COW. I printed them out on 100gsm A4 paper, soaked the whole thing page by page in strong coffee, hand cut the pages to the dimension of the actual movie prop (no paper cutter... just a good old boxcutter.) stitched the pages together and bound with brown cowhide leather which I also distressed with some fine sand paper and shoe polish. The inserts were also aged in the same manner, although I also crumple them up to give them that used look.

4. decaturvader

decaturvader Sr Member

Boy, I sure like paper props. Good job. :thumbsup
    So, there is a tutorial at this "COW" to guide ya thru building a Grail Diary?
    Man, i gotta check that out, archive it, and save it for that rainy day project.

5. Borg Drone

Borg Drone New Member

Nicely Done.

Jeff :thumbsup

6. WinstonWolf359

WinstonWolf359 Sr Member

Amazing work. :) I think the Grail Diary is one of the coolest IJ props and I'm especially impressed with anyone that can figure out doing their own binding. Great job, thanks for sharing.

7. kalkamel

kalkamel Sr Member

8. Imperialknight

Imperialknight Well-Known Member

I was always curious on how the pages are stitched together, do you have photos of how you did this? Great job.

9. kalkamel

kalkamel Sr Member

10. Swedolorian

Swedolorian New Member

Cool. I have to make myself one.
    Your's really well made.

11. juno

juno Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

So you soaked the pages AFTER you printed them? I take it you used a laserjet, not an inkject?

12. kalkamel

kalkamel Sr Member

Yep... its advisable to use laserjet, because inkjet will look distorted even if the paper's dry... from my experience that is.

13. Gigatron

Gigatron Sr Member

Man that's sweet.

I've been working on my own handwritten one - talk about time consuming :lol

Where did you get the printable inserts from? Only one I've got is the LARRY ticket. Been looking for the others for some time.

Thanks and great job,

-Fred

14. kalkamel

kalkamel Sr Member

You can get the printable inserts from the links I posted above.

15. lonerthx

lonerthx Well-Known Member

Looks great :)

Where did you source the leather from?

16. Sulla

Sulla Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Did you get cokewithvanilla's most recent post on COW? He found an error in his first wave CD's and is replacing them. I got mine replaced.

And your Grail Diary is AWESOME. Great job.

17. Darkknight0667

Darkknight0667 Sr Member

Is that second sentence correct? It appears to read, "I was in my study preparing a glass of Wolfram von Eschenbach's Parsifal for professor Zeiler's vernacular lit. seminar."

18. kalkamel

kalkamel Sr Member

Yeah... come to think of it... some of the sentences don't quite make sense :D ... guess I better wait for the next edited version before I make my diary Mark II.

19. Mike J.

Mike J. Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

20. nailuj

nailuj Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

On a quiet Saturday night after the kids have gone to bed I enjoy sitting down with a 'glass of Wolfram von Eschenbach's Parsifal' depending upon the vintage of course....

21. Gigatron

Gigatron Sr Member

In the PDF I have, it is indeed "gloss".

I have yet to find a 100% perfect version. There's always a mispelling here or a word left out there. It's small stuff, but how many people are actually going to read the diary. Most people are just interested in the pictures.

-Fred

22. Ash

Ash Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Are you sure it not suppost to be class? He is a professor after all.

-Ash

23. Gigatron

Gigatron Sr Member

No, gloss makes perfect sense in the current context. Wolfram von Eschenbach's work was probably written in german or austrian (just based on the name), so Henry was prepapring a gloss - a translation of the text - for professor Zeiler's lit. seminar.

-Fred

24. cocomonk22

cocomonk22 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Your Grail Diary looks awesome. I ordered a copy of the printable grail diary CD after seeing this topic, and I plan on using the sites you posted to help put it together.

25. kalkamel

kalkamel Sr Member

Good luck... it is a highly addictive process :) .