Henry Jones' Grail Diary

kalkamel

Master Member
Hi,

Just thought I'd share with you pics of my latest completed prop project, the Grail Diary from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

Front cover
cover.jpg

First page
start.jpg

Newspaper clipping
clipping1.jpg

The Omphalos page
omphalos.jpg

Pic of Indy and Dad
indypic.jpg

Roman numerals scrap
romannumerals.jpg

Three trials
3trials.jpg

Western Union telegram
westernunion2.jpg

Diary and Package
package.jpg

VERY nice. :thumbsup This is one of my all time favorite props. I never tire of looking at them.

I'm assuming you made it? Care to discuss some the work that went into it? :D

Originally posted by Angelus@Mar 24 2006, 05:04 PM
VERY nice.  :thumbsup  This is one of my all time favorite props. I never tire of looking at them.

I'm assuming you made it? Care to discuss some the work that went into it?  :D
[snapback]1212252[/snapback]​

The diary was based on a printable grail diary made by Cokewithvanilla over at COW. I printed them out on 100gsm A4 paper, soaked the whole thing page by page in strong coffee, hand cut the pages to the dimension of the actual movie prop (no paper cutter... just a good old boxcutter.) stitched the pages together and bound with brown cowhide leather which I also distressed with some fine sand paper and shoe polish. The inserts were also aged in the same manner, although I also crumple them up to give them that used look.

Boy, I sure like paper props. Good job. :thumbsup
So, there is a tutorial at this "COW" to guide ya thru building a Grail Diary?
Man, i gotta check that out, archive it, and save it for that rainy day project.

Amazing work. :) I think the Grail Diary is one of the coolest IJ props and I'm especially impressed with anyone that can figure out doing their own binding. Great job, thanks for sharing.

Originally posted by kalkamel+Mar 24 2006, 09:15 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kalkamel @ Mar 24 2006, 09:15 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Angelus
@Mar 24 2006, 05:04 PM
VERY nice.  :thumbsup  This is one of my all time favorite props. I never tire of looking at them.

I'm assuming you made it? Care to discuss some the work that went into it?  :D
[snapback]1212252[/snapback]​

The diary was based on a printable grail diary made by Cokewithvanilla over at COW. I printed them out on 100gsm A4 paper, soaked the whole thing page by page in strong coffee, hand cut the pages to the dimension of the actual movie prop (no paper cutter... just a good old boxcutter.) stitched the pages together and bound with brown cowhide leather which I also distressed with some fine sand paper and shoe polish. The inserts were also aged in the same manner, although I also crumple them up to give them that used look.
[snapback]1212255[/snapback]​
[/b]
I was always curious on how the pages are stitched together, do you have photos of how you did this? Great job.

Yep... its advisable to use laserjet, because inkjet will look distorted even if the paper's dry... from my experience that is.

Man that's sweet.

I've been working on my own handwritten one - talk about time consuming :lol

Where did you get the printable inserts from? Only one I've got is the LARRY ticket. Been looking for the others for some time.

Thanks and great job,

-Fred

Did you get cokewithvanilla's most recent post on COW? He found an error in his first wave CD's and is replacing them. I got mine replaced.

And your Grail Diary is AWESOME. Great job.

Originally posted by kalkamel@Mar 24 2006, 02:48 AM

First page
start.jpg

[snapback]1212235[/snapback]​

Is that second sentence correct? It appears to read, "I was in my study preparing a glass of Wolfram von Eschenbach's Parsifal for professor Zeiler's vernacular lit. seminar."

Yeah... come to think of it... some of the sentences don't quite make sense :D ... guess I better wait for the next edited version before I make my diary Mark II.

On a quiet Saturday night after the kids have gone to bed I enjoy sitting down with a 'glass of Wolfram von Eschenbach's Parsifal' depending upon the vintage of course....

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back