Help With Lasers

Robin Doorne

Right, i brought these lasers about a week ago now love them! but...   trying to get them aligned up and fitted is a utter nightmare i tried glueing the laser together to get the triangle shape but the slightest  touch when putting in the shoulder cannon they go  up **** up again tried cutting three holes out in foam but its not strong enough to hold the lasers in the triangle form need help ::)( (attached pics to help out)

cheers Rob

Picture.jpg

Picture 002.jpg

Picture 001.jpg

The only time I used lasers I drilled holes in the tri laser part and mounted them in it.  Seeing as you're not doing it in a bio, you'll have to find a way to mount then in something that will keep them from touching.  Not sure which lasers you're using, but all the ones I ever used burned out or went extremely dim if they touched each others brass housing.  After getting them mounted, the only thing you can do is fiddle with them until you get the aligned.  Fix one solidly in place, then work on the second one.  once you get it where you want it, do the last one, making sure to not bump it out of place by even a hair.  This is the reason I refuse to use lasers any more.  I thought I had them mounted very solidly in my bio, using epoxy and shims after they were aligned, and one slight little bump messed em up.  Good luck, and take your time...it's not a quick or easy job.

Brian

wonko said:
The only time I used lasers I drilled holes in the tri laser part and mounted them in it.  Seeing as you're not doing it in a bio, you'll have to find a way to mount then in something that will keep them from touching.  Not sure which lasers you're using, but all the ones I ever used burned out or went extremely dim if they touched each others brass housing.  After getting them mounted, the only thing you can do is fiddle with them until you get the aligned.  Fix one solidly in place, then work on the second one.  once you get it where you want it, do the last one, making sure to not bump it out of place by even a hair.  This is the reason I refuse to use lasers any more.  I thought I had them mounted very solidly in my bio, using epoxy and shims after they were aligned, and one slight little bump messed em up.  Good luck, and take your time...it's not a quick or easy job.

Brian
Cheers Brian, I've got some lasers on the way from HK. Will deffo try this sir, and good to know about the touching thing.

Glad I could help.  You don't want to know how I discovered the touching thing :/  something that I thought about trying if I ever decide to do it again is cover the whole thing in heat shrink and try mounting together, I think that should work.  Still, I don't think I'll be installing lasers again any time soon lol.  Let us know what you come up with and how you worked it out.

Brian

Easiest way I found to align mine was to drill the tri housing, superglue the lasers in. One at a time as mentioned. Then I used a spare housing on the rears to hold everything in place. Been knocking around for a year with no movement.

Robin Doorne said:
how did you discover it ? :p good idea ... will do man! :)
Ah, ya had to go and open that can of worms, didn't you? lol  I burnt out 4 myself until I figured out that the brass casing was part of the ground for them (at least it was on the ones I had).  I traced a connection off the controller board that was soldered directly to the housing.

Brian

Getting lasers aligned is a real pain but worth it.
Ive never noticed the dimming thing but that just may be me simply not noticing.
I line them up one at a time in holes drilled in a housing.  Also, they never point perfectly straight out of their brass body so turning them in the housing that you have made may help. The body of those diodes is 6.5mm for refrence.
Good luck.

Am I correct in assuming that you are not installing these in a bio? If that's the case, the tri housing seems like a waste of money for what you're trying to accomplish. Also, looking at your pics, I don't think a standard tri housing is going to fit inside your cannon without grinding it down. If I were doing it, I would sculpt and cast a round "plug" that fit inside the barrel of the cannon, drill holes in it, and mount/fix the laser diodes in it. Then you would be able to align the lasers outside the cannon before sliding them in the barrel.

Brian

ffc3_1.jpg

P.S. The pic is what they are referring to as the tri laser housing

Last edited by a moderator:
Here he is ....ebay item number:360619601536 cant see the parts you need but hit him up with a pm, he does knock them out from time to time

patiently friend.
is difficult but achievable.
I use as a base to align an equilateral triangle and then align them as you can.

I use a bottle cap and paste into an equilateral triangle and make holes in the vertices.

Has anyone got any new ideas on this subject?
I am about to embark on a helm with the lasers in, I have a £25 set of 3 lasers off the net inc battery and box with switch inc.
I've read all the above comments and particularly like the idea of the double mounting - one front and one back, however the lasers I have are only about 10 mm long so fitting them into two mounting blocks is nigh on impossible especially when the rear part of the laser appears to have a small connection attached to the sideat the rear so fitting them securely onto a hole the right size for the laser wont work.
I am considering a 3D printed holder for the lasers incorporating 3 tubes for the lasers to fit into but at the same time adjusting the angle inwards by a degree or two to cater for any misalignment over a greater distance other than an object stood three feet away from you, yes I'm aware that laser beams are straight and in an ideal world three paralell tubes together with three lasers in would produce three dots in the required triangle but we all know this is not gonna happen in this world! We just have to do the best we can. We need a contact at NASSA to get this sorted lol.

Top Tip
The laser can be focused.... just found this out, had one of the lasers go out of focus and looked more like a LED than a laser, the front half of the laser body is threaded and when turned will focus the dot. I imagine most of you clever guys out there already know this, so this tip is for those not so clever - like me!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back