Help needed: Do you read Japanese?

Prefect42

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello RPF and Buckaroo Banzai fans,

A group of us are trying to decipher the markings on a carrying case from BUCKAROO BANZAI. http://www.therpf.com/f9/found-item-buckaroo-bonzai-overthruster-case-140417/

If you read Japanese, can you give us any help translating the text from this screen grab? I know it's not too clear. Reference shots are scarce.

Thanks,

Ted.

11829-found-item-buckaroo-bonzai-overthruster-case-vlcsnap-2011-09-30-20h53m23s237.png
11829-found-item-buckaroo-bonzai-overthruster-case-vlcsnap-2011-09-30-20h53m23s237.png

Last edited:
I sent your image to a friend who is married to a Japanese gal. He is a "monkey boy", but she is pretty sharp. It could just be random Canji and may not mean anything.

SPY007,

THANK YOU! Looking forward to hearing back from your friends. I just wish we had better images to work with for them.

It is possible that the symbols are random. I have a feeling that with the level of detail that went into the production design on this film, that it is actually relevant to the prop. Just a hunch but I'd like to know for certain.

As to the Dymo label tape, you are correct. The white letters in english seem to be Letraset. And I'm guessing the Japanese characters and sticker on the left side of the case are printed stickers on clear plastic.

There are several replicas of the Oscillation Overthruster floating around and some of us "monkey boys" want a nice, accurate display box. With your help, we are getting closer.

Ted.

Thanks for the enhanced images. Unfortunately this is all I can make out:

Top yellow tab
?
?
Left strip
?
?

?
館(not sure)

Right strip
?
?
虎(not sure)
?
Bottom center

Bottom right red
?
?
Bottom left red
?
?

Awesome help!!! We can work on photo enhancing the ones you cant make out. Big thanks and rep points added!!!

Ikariya,

Thank you so much. I really appreciate your efforts here.

Someone else told me that the bottom center symbol (Below CHARGE UNIT) is either "Equation" or "Ceremony" depending on the use. Does that make any sense to you?

And Contec,

I ran the translations one at a time through a different translator and am beginning to suspect that the prop department used random symbols. My results weren't much better. I got "HIROYUKI EXODUS HIROYUKI MASAMI EAR".

Cameron,

You may be the guy that gets these clear enough to make more sense. Keep 'em coming.

Ted.

Ikariya,

Thank you so much. I really appreciate your efforts here.

Someone else told me that the bottom center symbol (Below CHARGE UNIT) is either "Equation" or "Ceremony" depending on the use. Does that make any sense to you?

And Contec,

I ran the translations one at a time through a different translator and am beginning to suspect that the prop department used random symbols. My results weren't much better. I got "HIROYUKI EXODUS HIROYUKI MASAMI EAR".

Cameron,

You may be the guy that gets these clear enough to make more sense. Keep 'em coming.

Ted.
In this context, I would say it means 'formula' but it feels just decorative.

Yeah the Kanji I do see seem to have no meaning. It would be cool if we could see them all more clearly.

Honestly, if anyone remembers weirdo tatoo parlor Kanji, they may have used a scheme similar to this hanzismatter.blogspot.com: Gibberish Asian Font Mystery Solved

Ikariya, may i ask you check something for me in regards to this project?

I need to find a Dymo insert wheel with Kanji, can you check the Dymo Japan site, attatched to see if there is anything less expensive then the 8995Yen price tag? The site also has links to other sites that sell them, was just wondering what their prices are. Many thanks in advance if you are able to help.

DYMO

Tim.

A BD would be so useful for this but it seems there is none yet released in any region at all.

There is however an HDTV cap floating about. It's very bitrate starved but might still be of some use. Here's the best frames out of it, hopefully it helps.

Ikariya, may i ask you check something for me in regards to this project?

I need to find a Dymo insert wheel with Kanji, can you check the Dymo Japan site, attatched to see if there is anything less expensive then the 8995Yen price tag? The site also has links to other sites that sell them, was just wondering what their prices are. Many thanks in advance if you are able to help.

DYMO

Tim.

Sent you a PM with links to http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/standa/item/dm1595bu/

A BD would be so useful for this but it seems there is none yet released in any region at all.

There is however an HDTV cap floating about. It's very bitrate starved but might still be of some use. Here's the best frames out of it, hopefully it helps.

These are much better but still 20% blurry on some. I'll try to decipher them soon.

TMBountyHunter,

Excellent find on the higher resolution frame grabs. Thanks so much.

And Ikariya,

I was excited when Mr Webber said he was working on graphics so thank you for help with the Dymo wheel.

This prop is really making progress thanks to everyone involved in these two threads.
I think we've all upgraded to Blue Blaze Irregulars officially now. :lol

Ted.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back