Help me understand how big theme park sets/props are made

harrisonp

Sr Member
I wasn't sure exactly where to put this, so off topic seemed as fitting as any, but I've always been baffled by the big items in theme parks and how they are made. I've just recently been back to DL and I am more prop minded now than I have been on past visits, so I was really trying to get my head around the fabrication process for things like giant flowers, all of the set pieces on astro blasters, just basically everything that looks big and shiny, because they are literally everywhere.

In my best estimation I would think some things were framed with MDF or foam I guess and then fiberglassed? But I really have no idea if I'm on base and it really interests me. Thanks to anyone reading this, I would really love to know how they do it!

I helped repair some of the various theme park ( i guess exhibits) Here in San Antonio, a few years back. They were all fiberglass. I know some had been carved out of foam and Composite molds were made. then just a basic fiberglass lay up. sand it, primer and paint. i know theres a few companies that make alot of really crazy stuff. but thats how some of it was done here.

Al

I helped repair some of the various theme park ( i guess exhibits) Here in San Antonio, a few years back. They were all fiberglass. I know some had been carved out of foam and Composite molds were made. then just a basic fiberglass lay up. sand it, primer and paint. i know theres a few companies that make alot of really crazy stuff. but thats how some of it was done here.

Al

Awesome! It really was stumping me due to the sheer size of everything, and the fact that, as you mentioned, it would all need to be repairable. I knew there would have to be some kind of repeatable process for making things like that, most definitely couldn't be freehanded or one off pieces for every single item. Thanks for giving me a name to attach to the process, it's given me a great jumping off point for learning about a technique I have no experience with!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back