Help me decide! Star wars...

christrom

Sr Member
Hi,

I could use your help. My AT-AT diorama is gathering pace

http://www.therpf.com/f11/diorama-wip-138260/

and I'm trying to figure out which orientation to have the model in. I've done a mock up with the smaller f-toys AT-ATs. There are two main options:

Option 1:

72842_10151211065292286_849625154_n.jpg

^ This gives a bit of distance from the walkers to the trenches, and will allow a bit more room for people running. Compositionally though, it feels a bit unbalanced

Option 2:

553017_10151211064692286_224242890_n.jpg

^ This shows off the walkers better and allows for a longer trench... also has the widescreen feel, but the walkers are going to be closer to the trench.

I may settle on a more square shape, but I'd really appreciate it if you just post which one you think is more effective. I'm leaning on option 2, but I would probably make more room for the trenches. Thanks very much :)

Last edited:
Personally, I'd say option 2 for walker layout, but option 1 is better for distance to the trench, but I'd go with even more distance. It would take up a lot of room, but you could have the space between the trenches and walkers with speeders setting up a run, may even have lukes crashed speeder. By the time the walkers were that close the rebels had fled or were dead. Having more space between I think would be more dramatic. Just my 2 cents anyway.

Where are you planning on displaying it and how much space is available there? Will it be on a tabletop or a shelf or desk?

I say go with option 1 while trying to keep a option 2 walker position. Triangles are said to be in good art but I feel sometimes it makes things look too planned. Option 1 isn't wide so it feels off. I really want to say option 2 but the distance... XD i see what you mean lol

I say option 1 as well. Just so much you can do with the 'empty' side. there's the generator and the ion canon.

Plus, looking at them again, option 1 appears that they're in motion as they have some place to go, where option 2 looks like they have stopped at their destination.

I really like the composition of Option 2 if the primary focus is only on the Walkers. As a diorama though, to me it kind of looks like they’ve already reached an end point and they are no longer advancing. Option 1 gives the walkers a little more room in front of them so it looks like they are still moving forward and gives some room for rebel fighters. I too think a square base would be the best of both worlds here.

Option 1 but place your walkers and trench at an angle in relation to the lines of your base plate. Never place your models following the lines of your base. This make your model look more dynamic and interesting.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back