Help!!! Legs slipping

predator paul

Hi guys. My suit is a 2 piece Seahunter after having to cut the top down to size my legs keep slipping. I know that others use braces but is there an alternative? I have my AVP promo in 2 days and can't get the legs on.

Paul .'.

Paul,

I've seen some folks use 1" wide industrial strength velcro strips going round the waist on the outside of the bottoms, with corresponding velcro on the inside of the top. The top then goes over the bottoms and the waist armor hides the seam.

On one of my suits' foamed armor, I found that I had to scuff up the latex so the velcro would stick.

hope this helps

---
Ei'luj

*EDIT* possibly use a web belt and velcro/attach to that, then top goes over as above, no velcro on the top though.

Bracers and suspenders will work great. keep in mind that when you are in that suit you will get hot and start to sweat. All things latex may begin to slip and slide a little. the support from the bracers will keep those pants-like legs up

[quote name='ei'luj' post='187307' date='Feb 17 2010, 10:56 PM']Paul,

I've seen some folks use 1" wide industrial strength velcro strips going round the waist on the outside of the bottoms, with corresponding velcro on the inside of the top. The top then goes over the bottoms and the waist armor hides the seam.

On one of my suits' foamed armor, I found that I had to scuff up the latex so the velcro would stick.

hope this helps

---
Ei'luj

*EDIT* possibly use a web belt and velcro/attach to that, then top goes over as above, no velcro on the top though.[/quote]

Thanks for the tip. I have tried the Industrial velcro, bought a roll today. I found that the furry side sticks well because it's flexible but the hooks side is stiffer and comes off straight away. I guess if I glue it inside s well as use the adhesive on there already that should do the trick

Bracers and suspenders will work great. keep in mind that when you are in that suit you will get hot and start to sweat. All things latex may begin to slip and slide a little. the support from the bracers will keep those pants-like legs up

Skapunkninja and I do cons together and he uses braces. Any Idea where I could get some or for that matter what ones to use?

i get mine at military surplus stores. about 1in wide elastic bracers, with alligator clip fasteners. I glue a little leather to the latex in the pant waist. gives the fastener something to bite into with out damaging or tearing the latex

i get mine at military surplus stores. about 1in wide elastic bracers, with alligator clip fasteners. I glue a little leather to the latex in the pant waist. gives the fastener something to bite into with out damaging or tearing the latex

That's the answer I wanted. Thanks man. Now my biggest problem is the fishnet but tbh I might just go the SDCC way and not bother. You guys looked sick in that vid What do you think is Fishnet important?

That's the answer I wanted. Thanks man. Now my biggest problem is the fishnet but tbh I might just go the SDCC way and not bother. You guys looked sick in that vid What do you think is Fishnet important?

theres alot of preds out there without fishnet so i dont think its important, its one of them things that looks good as a finnishing touch if you have time ;P

Thanks for the tip. I have tried the Industrial velcro, bought a roll today. I found that the furry side sticks well because it's flexible but the hooks side is stiffer and comes off straight away. I guess if I glue it inside s well as use the adhesive on there already that should do the trick

I've had this happen with another costume. It's not that the hook side doesn't stick as well, it's that that is how strong the velcro holds and is stronger than the adhesive. I had to sew the velcro on to hold it. But sewing that stuf is a, pain. If the glue doesn't hold it, and it may not, for a quick fix on your time frame, staples. But I'd go the suspenders route.

From what I recall its how the cloaking system wotks. The net is a part of the system. So, I do it for various reasons..One, I think its a part of the whole Predator look. Two, I think it adds a ton of detail to the suit. Three, I just think it looks wierd when its missing. Ha!

I've had this happen with another costume. It's not that the hook side doesn't stick as well, it's that that is how strong the velcro holds and is stronger than the adhesive. I had to sew the velcro on to hold it. But sewing that stuf is a, pain. If the glue doesn't hold it, and it may not, for a quick fix on your time frame, staples. But I'd go the suspenders route.
The issues I've had with velcro are similar to yours. It may seem obvious but I've stitched the ends of the adhesive back velcro. It was even more of a pain because the glue gums up the needle. I was determined to do it so I ended up using pliers to help push the needle. I broke a needle doing it. I've found that if I am going to stitch it anyway, get the non adhesive velcro.

That's the draw back with sewing it. Plus the backing on the velcro is plastic. And i used heavy duty needles and was using pliers to pull it through.

That's the draw back with sewing it. Plus the backing on the velcro is plastic. And i used heavy duty needles and was using pliers to pull it through.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I went with the Army braces and crocodile clips Idea, works great. Thanks PT Greek

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back