Help: Golden Fertility Idol glass eyes

Builderman

Hi there!

Im currently working on my idol project, the fertility idol from ROTLA. Im gonna cast a hollow resin prop, but I dont know which exact color and size the eyeballs are supposed to be. All I know is that they're a brownish tone. Any experienced recommenders, and links please?

B

That is the one thing that new members need to learn.... Using that search button can save you stress, and days waiting for a response :lol
I just typed in "Golden Idol Glass Eyes" and numerous threads discussing the builds of these popped up. Of course it will take a little time and footwork on your end to look through the threads and find the info, but that is the best part of this forum. As you read, you will learn so much that those before you have learned through trial and error.
The first thread I opened after searching the eyes, I read this:

"The eyes are 24mm round, hazel-brown. They were about $50 for the pair. There are a lot of suppliers for eyes at better prices (I'm looking into new suppliers as my old one is raising prices) so I suggest a google search for "glass eyes" I'm thinking of ordering some animal eyes (dogs and wolves seem to have the color I think we need) It wasn't hard for me to put them in (but I've done prosthetic eyes in MANY resin busts before, and have a really well developed technique for doing it)"

Thanks!
Yes, I've searched around a little bit using the search word "Golden Idol". I found a few threads about the full build, but those didn't contain any details.
I've gotten a bit more information now, some people use 23mm and some use 24mm. The deal is that I'm gonna make the eyes myself. I have started molding a 23mm ball, which is going to be casted in a shiny, white material. Im gonna find a good hazel brown eye texture that I'm gonna apply to the casted eyeball. Im gonna polish the finished piece, and make sure it's gonna turn out shiny and great.
I hope my method is going to work, and if so, Im gonna post a few pictures of them here on this thread.
Stay tuned guys, and thanks alot for the help!

B

Hi
The Idol that Lucas Film have in the Archives (and they have a number of them) don't have separate eyes, they are part of the resin casting that was then metalized
But there is one Idol that was up in the main house, that someone had put human glass eyes into
I don't know if this one was someone's idea of a joke

Hi
The Idol that Lucas Film have in the Archives (and they have a number of them) don't have separate eyes, they are part of the resin casting that was then metalized
But there is one Idol that was up in the main house, that someone had put human glass eyes into
I don't know if this one was someone's idea of a joke

The last photos I saw from the archives, they had the Hero Pedestal idol in there, that idol was seen on film and has glass eyes. Maybe when you were there it had been moved up to the main house. That idol has also spent quite a bit of time out on loan on display at several different locations.

Kind Regards,

Andy

I don't know the full back story of the Idol prop as I was not there for the shoot. It could be that the glass eyed prop was for close-up and the others were for stunt etc.
But everyone I spoke to clamed it was made at ILM.
Props were regularly rotated around for the display cases at the ranch and ILM

There seems to be a lot of confusion about old props at Lucas Film
e.g. I was in the Archives one time and looking at a black droid face down on the floor

( it only appears on the flight deck of a Star Destroyer),
I turned its head around to face backwards and forgot to turn it back , it now appears in the Technical Manual in this configuration

Cheers

Gary

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back