Help Deciphering decals for Vaders Tie Advance Correct ones

propcollector

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Ok guys lets see how good you can see!! Here is a pic turned upside down to read these in white! Want to make up the correct decals for Tie Advance.

I can see the CAPY,LDLMT, need to figure out the numbers Dont know for sure if the last one is LTWT
decalsforvaderstie.jpg

Looks like the red one is the start of DANGER. Probably from a fighter jet. The other one, no idea.

Capacity, load limit, light (unloaded) weight, all freight specs. The numbers are interesting, esp the last...

Nice find, Lee! Time to revise my sheet before I reprint them!
I got "close" from the pic and sizing against the Neisen tie:

Screen Shot 2015-03-27 at 8.11.26 AM.png

As we found with the MF decals survey, ILM'ers really liked using Microscale railroad aftermarket decal sheets. Given the verbiage expect it came from one of the freightcar, hopper car or tanker car data sheets. Of course, finding exemplars won't guarantee you'll be able to read the numbers as the printing was very small. One other possibility is one of the AMT tractor trailer kits, which often included weight data... but usually on some kind of colored background. There were 'O' gauge MS RR sheets that might be the correct size beyond the HO sheets, of which there were a lot!

Trains Magazine has a nice little explanation of these markings (which pretty much IDs them as being from a RR sheet...) at their site; check it out HERE:
http://trn.trains.com/railroads/abcs-of-railroading/2006/05/freight-car-markings

A bit more reading of the Trains article appears to point out that the second number (LD LMT) is missing it's last digit as it usually exceeded the CAPY (capacity) limit by a bit (so CAPY being 97000, the LD LMT must be '98200' not '9820'...)
Further, it is interesting that this labeling indicates the empty weight of the car is *greater* than the capacity! (113800) That is one heavy car!

Hope this helps! R/ Robert

Last edited by a moderator:
Just FYI I just received the microscale 87-2 decal sheet today and I can confirm it is wrong in both size (this is HO and this is way too big) and data (numbers).
I am not even sure microscale was around at this time and I found some other manufacturers that were at this time but to be honest I think it was from a kit and not from after market decals.

Just FYI I just received the microscale 87-2 decal sheet today and I can confirm it is wrong in both size (this is HO and this is way too big) and data (numbers).
I am not even sure microscale was around at this time and I found some other manufacturers that were at this time but to be honest I think it was from a kit and not from after market decals.

Some info on Microscale:
Microscale Industries Inc. is located in Costa Mesa, California, and was founded in 1933 by Martin G. Krasel. Microscale is known for producing quality decals that are easy to apply and result in realistic models. Scales HO, N, O, Z
Feature Products: Decals and decal finishing products
Specific Eras Steam-to-Diesel transition (1940-1960), Classic Diesel (1960-1980), Modern (1980-Present)
Price Range: $2.00-$20
Delivery Information: Because Microscale is a batch producer, some items may not be immediately available.

Some info on Microscale:
Microscale Industries Inc. is located in Costa Mesa, California, and was founded in 1933 by Martin G. Krasel. Microscale is known for producing quality decals that are easy to apply and result in realistic models. Scales HO, N, O, Z
Feature Products: Decals and decal finishing products
Specific Eras Steam-to-Diesel transition (1940-1960), Classic Diesel (1960-1980), Modern (1980-Present)
Price Range: $2.00-$20
Delivery Information: Because Microscale is a batch producer, some items may not be immediately available.

Thanks for the infos, however the HO decals are wrong. :(

Most likely N scale. I've been looking through numbers from the Santa Fe cars but have found nothing yet. Will keep looking though.

Yeah N scale sounds close.
Im wondering if the TIE markings on the cockpit of some Y-Wings (Red Jammer and Gold Leader) are not trains markings, one of them looks very very close !

Nicely, the 'weight data' and the DAN segment of the 1/24 Gemini kit are right next to each other, so relatively straight-forward to size. As for the exact source, capacity data 'stenciling' was provided on most (if not all) of the Microscale sheets for various rolling stock sheets, so finding the original sheet may be nearly impossible. Since this isn't necessary for this modeling purpose (after all, custom making these puppies, right?) it probably is just good enough to know the general source. In fact, many earlier MS sheets from the '70's- '80's are no longer available, even the numbers could have been 'retreaded' by MS. So, no worries! Oh, MT, Microscale was definitely around during this time frame as we've found from the Mill Falcon project (a very cool discovery, IMO.) It shows the ILM modelers basically ran down to the LHS and raided their inventory... perhaps not for *everything* but certainly for some things... Does anyone know if the majority of the filming models were built over in the UK or made some where else? Sorry, a little OT, just curious what kind of LHS they might have visited (such as Rosemont Hobbies...) for these kits & decals.

R/ Robert

The 1/24 Gemini decals are not correct (wrong font).

I don't agree with you regarding finding the correct decals, maybe it is not important in the general section but it is here, in the studio scale section, it is as important than getting the right parts.

Yeah it may be from MS decal sheet, or it may not, we need to find solid proof. Since those markings are standard on real life stuff, it is likely something that can be found in any train kit from this era.

All the ANH models were built in the US.

Here is a N scale freaight car with the LT WT number larger then the other two numbers, so shows that these were out there like on the tie fighter

CAPY (nominal capacity) is the intended load-carrying capacity of the car, to the nearest 1000 pounds. This is determined by the structural strength of the car's underframe and the size of the journal bearings of the car's trucks.

LD LMT (load limit) is the maximum weight of lading that can be carried by the car, to the nearest 100 pounds. This is determined by subtracting the weight of the car when empty from the total allowable gross weight given the size of the car's journal bearings. The load limit for a car is usually a bit greater than its capacity; the two figures can be equal, but capacity can never exceed load limit.

LT WT (light, or empty, weight) is the weight of the car when empty.

i don't believe that the N scale is the right size because the decals are way to small, here is a size comparison

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Where, may I ask, did those come from tsophika? Those are spot on to be right and the numbers match

ok THX 1138 more info on this

thank you Craig for posting that

any one know what stencil font used for the freight cars?

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back