HELP: Chain on Darth Vader Cape

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Darth Kahnt, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

I just got a custardkitty cape today. As many of you know it comes with a collar on it. The problem is that the chain is inaccurate.

I have the accurate plastic chain and I want to install it inside the collar. What would I use to hook the chain to the inside of the collar? I would prefer to permanently attach the chain on one side and have a latch mechanism on the other side. I was wondering if people could tell me how they attach their chain and/or what system they use.

Thanks in advance.

2. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

Come on people, I know someone has pics or tips to share on this issue. :D

3. darth marcus

darth marcus New Member

I just have a silver hook (out of sight) on mine. This can be sewn to the inside. I know I just reset both sides yesterday. The hook can probably be purchased from a hardare or fabric store. Just an idea.

4. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

Pic?

5. darth marcus

darth marcus New Member

I will try to send you one ASAP.

6. paulcarson

paulcarson Well-Known Member

Use a simple hook from a hook and eye set from a haberdashery store. This should do the job.

7. Durasteel Corporation

Durasteel Corporation Well-Known Member

I made custom metal plates with hooks.

The plates sew into (up inside) the collar and the hook extends out from the collar to hold the cape chain.

Great method. I had no problem with these pieces bending or pulling out like normal sewing loops designed for lighter projects.

Be mindful of the weight of your cape and the wind/drag factor which * a lot of pressure on that area....my plates (while disguised up inside the collar) are wide so as to distrubute that load and pressure.

8. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

Good suggestion Drew. Do you have a pic you could share? Do you have an extra set which you could part with?

The custardkitty cape does not have an extreme amount of weight so I do not think that will be a problem.

Keep the suggestions coming......

9. decaturvader

decaturvader Sr Member

here is how my seamstress an I fashioned mine:

The parts:
    [​IMG]

Now, on the underside of my cape colar, she used some type of iron-on strengthening material and upholstry black thread (really strong stuff). We placed two of those clever little black clips (they are the silver ones in the above picture) strategicaly placed based on how tight i like my cape. The other side of the colar was spaced identically.

[​IMG]

For the precut chain, we used the clip. I bent the little "eye" on the center edge downwards so it locked into the eye of the chain. She then used the same thread to fasten the clip to the chain. We did bend the side ears of the clip slightly to conform to the chain.

[​IMG]

The way we did it, allows for the cape to rest tight against my armor and the tips of the colar don't tweak outwards and expose the fastening system. A hidden system that has proven to be very durable in my case.

edit; just wanted to add that my cape is a GT model from 2000. The neck diameter is pretty small and form-fitting.
    Cheers
    Chad

RayR likes this.
  10. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

Chad,

Excellent pictures. That's the kind of thing I'm looking for.

How many chain links do you have exposed?

11. decaturvader

decaturvader Sr Member

I have 2 1/2 links -->center cape hook<-- 2 1/2 links.
    here is a pic from my testing fitting the new armor the other day:

[​IMG]

RayR likes this.
  12. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

Thats a great help Chad. Thanks very much. I will take those pictures to my seamstress later this week to see if she can do the same for me.

Nice Vader suit by the way. What chestbox is that?

13. decaturvader

decaturvader Sr Member

No prob Chris, more than happy to add my .02 LOL
    Thanks for the comment too..

My chest box is a first gen GT. I located my lower leather strap different than others...it rides near the bottom of the box. Basicly, with the strap where I have it.....it hides my belly and keeps the box from tipping out hehehe
    dang...i gotta get back in shape and loose about 20lbs.

14. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

Im in the same boat, I need to lose about 20 pounds myself. :(

Keep the suggestions coming people.

15. BrundelFly

BrundelFly Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Where do you get the CHAIN?

16. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

...black plastic gardening chain....AgLok is the brand name down under, I got a small roll through a buddy in "Oz"....but I've seen similar brands at gardening stores locally....

17. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

PM Member Rigormortis. He may have some left.

18. RayR

RayR Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

If there is any life left in this thread...please tell me about your mask/helmet. Who made it etc. Looks great! I'm looking for something in an actual size ESB that isn't going to cost like an Anovos.

19. decaturvader

decaturvader Sr Member

the helmet I am wearing is just the standard Don Post Deluxe Fiberglass helmet form the 1990s

RayR likes this.