HELP: Chain on Darth Vader Cape

Darth Kahnt

Sr Member
I just got a custardkitty cape today. As many of you know it comes with a collar on it. The problem is that the chain is inaccurate.

I have the accurate plastic chain and I want to install it inside the collar. What would I use to hook the chain to the inside of the collar? I would prefer to permanently attach the chain on one side and have a latch mechanism on the other side. I was wondering if people could tell me how they attach their chain and/or what system they use.

Thanks in advance.

I just have a silver hook (out of sight) on mine. This can be sewn to the inside. I know I just reset both sides yesterday. The hook can probably be purchased from a hardare or fabric store. Just an idea.

Originally posted by darth marcus@Feb 21 2006, 10:13 AM
I just have a silver hook (out of sight) on mine. This can be sewn to the inside. I know I just reset both sides yesterday. The hook can probably be purchased from a hardare or fabric store. Just an idea.
[snapback]1189555[/snapback]​

Pic?

I made custom metal plates with hooks.

The plates sew into (up inside) the collar and the hook extends out from the collar to hold the cape chain.

Great method. I had no problem with these pieces bending or pulling out like normal sewing loops designed for lighter projects.

Be mindful of the weight of your cape and the wind/drag factor which ass a lot of pressure on that area....my plates (while disguised up inside the collar) are wide so as to distrubute that load and pressure.

Originally posted by Durasteel Corporation@Feb 21 2006, 03:05 PM
I made custom metal plates with hooks.

The plates sew into (up inside) the collar and the hook extends out from the collar to hold the cape chain.

Great method.  I had no problem with these pieces bending or pulling out like normal sewing loops designed for lighter projects.

Be mindful of the weight of your cape and the wind/drag factor which ass a lot of pressure on that area....my plates (while disguised up inside the collar) are wide so as to distrubute that load and pressure.
[snapback]1189738[/snapback]​

Good suggestion Drew. Do you have a pic you could share? Do you have an extra set which you could part with?

The custardkitty cape does not have an extreme amount of weight so I do not think that will be a problem.

Keep the suggestions coming......

here is how my seamstress an I fashioned mine:

The parts:
cape001.jpg

Now, on the underside of my cape colar, she used some type of iron-on strengthening material and upholstry black thread (really strong stuff). We placed two of those clever little black clips (they are the silver ones in the above picture) strategicaly placed based on how tight i like my cape. The other side of the colar was spaced identically.

cape003.jpg

For the precut chain, we used the clip. I bent the little "eye" on the center edge downwards so it locked into the eye of the chain. She then used the same thread to fasten the clip to the chain. We did bend the side ears of the clip slightly to conform to the chain.

cape002.jpg

The way we did it, allows for the cape to rest tight against my armor and the tips of the colar don't tweak outwards and expose the fastening system. A hidden system that has proven to be very durable in my case.

edit; just wanted to add that my cape is a GT model from 2000. The neck diameter is pretty small and form-fitting.
Cheers
Chad

Originally posted by DarthKahnt@Feb 22 2006, 02:28 AM
Chad,

Excellent pictures. That's the kind of thing I'm looking for.

How many chain links do you have exposed?
[snapback]1190135[/snapback]​

I have 2 1/2 links -->center cape hook<-- 2 1/2 links.
here is a pic from my testing fitting the new armor the other day:

gt2006_inside.jpg

Thats a great help Chad. Thanks very much. I will take those pictures to my seamstress later this week to see if she can do the same for me.

Nice Vader suit by the way. What chestbox is that?

Originally posted by DarthKahnt@Feb 22 2006, 03:55 AM
Thats a great help Chad. Thanks very much. I will take those pictures to my seamstress later this week to see if she can do the same for me.

Nice Vader suit by the way. What chestbox is that?
[snapback]1190214[/snapback]​

No prob Chris, more than happy to add my .02 LOL
Thanks for the comment too..

My chest box is a first gen GT. I located my lower leather strap different than others...it rides near the bottom of the box. Basicly, with the strap where I have it.....it hides my belly and keeps the box from tipping out hehehe
dang...i gotta get back in shape and loose about 20lbs.

Originally posted by decaturvader@Feb 22 2006, 12:02 AM
My chest box is a first gen GT. I located my lower leather strap different than others...it rides near the bottom of the box. Basicly, with the strap where I have it.....it hides my belly and keeps the box from tipping out hehehe
dang...i gotta get back in shape and loose about 20lbs.
[snapback]1190220[/snapback]​

Im in the same boat, I need to lose about 20 pounds myself. :(

Keep the suggestions coming people.

Originally posted by BrundelFly@Feb 22 2006, 11:49 AM
Where do you get the CHAIN?
[snapback]1190594[/snapback]​

...black plastic gardening chain....AgLok is the brand name down under, I got a small roll through a buddy in "Oz"....but I've seen similar brands at gardening stores locally....

If there is any life left in this thread...please tell me about your mask/helmet. Who made it etc. Looks great! I'm looking for something in an actual size ESB that isn't going to cost like an Anovos.

the helmet I am wearing is just the standard Don Post Deluxe Fiberglass helmet form the 1990s

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back