Help building a custom hexagon & carbon fiber cloak (mix between Warcrafts Medivh & Tron)

johnnyscience

So I'm looking to have a custom and really high quality cloak made.

Think of Warcraft Medivh meets Tron and Desitiny.

For the Tron look, I want trim out the sleeves, hood & front chest zipper area with a multi-colored LED strip. I was thinking I could use some type of frosted & flexible plastic to cover the LED strip with, almost like a shower curtain type of material to diffuse the LED light. Then on top of that frosted strip I wanted to have another layer of material, this time in black and I want to have Blade's vampire hieroglyphics laser cut out of it so that when the LEDs are on they make the hieroglyphics glow.

Here are some examples of a Tron style cloak. I want to trim the edges with the LEDs & plastic diffuser with vampire hieorglyphics

3cf5acdf62b3457a3213786368a5866d.jpg

9660f64161b88682f102a2864d59a3e0.jpg

3c408f071e694b6b5df746b088ca4d99.jpg

I would like the main material to be a hexagon material or possibly carbon fiber.

I've searched high and low and have had a hard time finding good hexagon material and I know carbon fiber fabric can be a problem if it's un-treated can fray and splinter if it gets any abrasion.

I would LOVE hexagon fabric like this:

d112bd34eb4c676fecfbbee60ff994c9.jpg

Does anyone know of anything available like this?

If not, I think the Kryptek Typhon camo may work:

5465594_orig.jpg

It's a little wavy-gravy and while I do like that, I would prefer the structured perfection of the hexagon example.

I also found this hexagon carbon fiber fabric, but again, there may be issues with abrasion if untreated. And since I want it flexible like fabric to wear as a cloak, I really don't see how I can treat it.

Carbon Fiber Fabric Honeycomb 3k 50"/127cm 7.2oz/244gsm

f-896-carbon-fiber-honeycomb__32738.1552087368.jpg

After talking to someone at composite envisions, they agreed that un-treated carbon fiber is not good for any type of garment because it is easily affected by abraison and will splinter and become a mess.

They did however have a real carbon fiber leather! It's real carbon that has a special flexible coating to seal the carbon fiber and give it a nice leather feel:

Carbon Fiber "Leather" - 2x2 Twill Matte Finish 57.87"/147cm 19.46oz/660gsm

f-1955-carbon-fiber-leather-fabric__55460.1520535983.jpg

Then I also found this really cool screen printed 3D hexagon lycra fabric:

Honey Comb

FD784D9E7141AF4B.jpg

I think if I can find someone to design me a cloak with hood with a mix of these two fabrics I can have something really amazing.

Here's a couple shots of Medivh cloak shots:

Does anyone know what the inside of his cloak is lined with? It looks like crushed velet or terry or something else entirely, but soft.

7366966dd15ceef555d6f9c2ae2da31f.jpg

img03.jpg

Yaya Han's fabric line has some good stuff in both large and small hexagon patterns, and a carbon fibre texture. You could also do something like people use for Spidey suits and outline the hexagons in puffy paint?

Is raw silk anything like duponi silk? I have some things made of duponi silk and it's not the soft silk I was always familiar with.

Does anyone know who I could talk to about designing and making me something like this?

Is raw silk anything like duponi silk? I have some things made of duponi silk and it's not the soft silk I was always familiar with.

Does anyone know who I could talk to about designing and making me something like this?

Anyone have an idea on raw vs duponi silk look?

Can anyone suggest a designer to draw/design this particular cloak for me with these specific materials so I can get a real design look before having someone physically make it for me?

Also, can anyone suggest a material that is frosted and vinyl like a heavy duty shower curtain for the strips of material needed for the LED's to glow through? I've been to every local store, walmarts, fabric stores, targets etc and I just can't find the proper heavy duty, frosted material I would need for this application. I've even searched online and didn't have much luck.

Bump... hoping to get this project off of the ground soon.

Does anyone know of any frosted vinyl material I could use to layer over the LEDs to trim out the cloak with?

I’ve looked every where I could think and still haven’t found it.

I think a heavy duty shower curtain is the right material, but I can’t find material thick enough to be durable

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back