Help/advice patterning a mask

LovelyLudwig

I wanted to make a mask from the korean film 'I'm a Cyborg but that's ok' as a leaving present for my friend, but I'm not sure the best way to go about it.

I imagine you could create a 3D object, then unfold it but with no expertise in this area I wondered if anyone had any other methods or advice?

It's not the most complex of designs but I'm a bit stumped as where to start.

EDIT: some images would help

1118full-i'm-a-cyborg,-but-that's-ok-screenshot.jpg8507cyborg1.jpg

I remember you asking a few months back. Sorry you didn't have any luck making some headway since then.

I'm not good at making 3D models, but this one looks like it could be free handed. you could break it down into pieces that you can identify to cut out.

Looking at the mask. it looks like there's the top forehead piece, two side pieces that you could draw one side and flip over to make a mirror of the other side, the mouth/chin piece, and then the inside forehead piece.

I'd draw it on a computer. take a picture of the front of your face and then a side view. This should help you draw out a shape that fits over your face and you can tweak it as you go to make it look like the character. Or if you're better with paper, just print out a face about the same size as yours and draw it on top of that.

Then you just cut it out, try it on, then modify. rinse/repeat.

Hope that gets you started for the main piece.

you could wrap your/his face in aluminum foil then tape ( masking tape or duct tape etc) all over it ( maintaining the shape/contours), then draw on top of that the basic shape of the mask, then cut and lay flat to serve as the template for the final material you are thinking of for the actual mask...hope i conveyed the general idea..

Hey guys

Thanks for the advice. I finally sat down and tried to pattern this out. I used the method of coming up with an approx shape, putting it on my head form and add/removing as necessary. After 3 or 4 cycles I was pretty happy with the results. I'll put my final pattern on the paper props thread for this movie when it's a bit more refined.

IMG_9469.JPGIMG_9470.JPGIMG_9471.JPGIMG_9474.JPG

You did it! Looks really good. I don't know where you're at, but for the visor, you could maybe get two different colored translucent folders put them together, or Joann's here in the US usually has translucent spray paint in their paint section and you can spray a trimmed welding mask, or maybe trim a 2-liter bottle of soda and spray the paint on half and half.

Good job on getting that pretty spot on!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back