HELP! A Cylon out there needs a voice.

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by Sean, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Sean

Sean Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hey guys and girls. I was absolutely clueless as to were to put this thread. so I figured I would ask here.
    I have a very good friend that spent a long long time fulfilling his dream. of making a Cylon costume. after years of the process of making and having it chromed he is now a Cylon. goes to every Con he can and and enjoys it very much. but he would like to interact with the people there with his voice sounding like the true TV version Cylon voice.

Now I'm clueless when it come's to something like this. and would very much appreciate any direction of how I could help him in this matter. from what he's telling me it's not the simplest thing in the world to do.

So basically. In this day and age of electronics is this true?

This is my best friend and I would love to help him out. and I know about kropcircle or whatever they are called. would prefer alternative's.

Help Please!

2. funboy1013xx

funboy1013xx Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

unfortunately this one has been a stumper for everyone. as far as I know the best most accurate way is the pre-recorded voice. if anyone could do an ACTUAL voice changer they was cylon accurate would be rolling in the dough.... I would love to see pictures of your friends suit tho!!! love the old cylon's!! :popcorn

3. Sean

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
  4. Alan Castillo

Alan Castillo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Sean, I have a voice-changer megaphone that does "Spaceman, Alien & Robot", one of those mega el-cheapo things I got for a lark 10+ years ago. Tons on ebay etc.

The "alien" setting is astonishingly cylon-sounding.

It would be a very small task to take the thing apart, stick the microphone on the inside of the helmet near the mouth, the speaker on the outside of the costume (eg nicely tucked near the neck ?), and have the "action" button run down inside the costume by extending the wires to the hand.

Once taken apart, the components are very small and will not be complicated at all to "install" to the costume.

5. Sean

Thanks Alan. I will check that out. any idea what there called on eBay?

6. Alan Castillo

Voice changer megaphone.

But let me get a small video up for you later today so you can see the exact one I'm talking about (and hear it too).

There are hundreds of these things around and might not be the exact thing you're looking for.

7. Sean

I appreciate the help my friend. :thumbsup

8. Alan Castillo

OK, but not too successful I'm afraid :(

I fished it out, and this is it. Unfortunately it has no brand name or anything except "China" written on it.

[​IMG]

I also made a small recording, but again, unfortunately, it sounds terrible, and nothing like it does "live". The sound is MUCH more "robotic", deeper, and the words MUCH clearer. I'd give it a 95% cylon-voice rating.

Anyways, FWIW, here it is & HTH :)

vc.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  9. Sean

that's pretty cool anyway. seems like if whatever electronics are in there could be upgraded and tweaked a bit. wouldn't be half bad.

Thanks for taking the time on that Alan. totally appreciate it...

10. Alan Castillo

Sean likes this.
  11. garycruz

garycruz New Member

This might help: Voice Synth

This is the old version, but listen 4 mins in :)

Use it with this Apen Mic Kit so you can separate the mic from the sound output:

Sean likes this.
  12. DS Operative

DS Operative Well-Known Member

13. Sean

thanks DS operative and gary. no haven't really reached out to anyone except here. my friend needing this is kind of new news to me. were both so busy our email chats can stop for times. but i will run it past him next we chat.