Hellboy (Comics): Amulets, Charms, Medallions, Talismans, Etc!

Screenshot_20190209-102121.jpg rome_judea_bar_kochba.jpg Maybe ancient Roman coin from the district of Judea 132-135AD? I'll see if i can weed out any other coins...

Also that one on the far middle right says Magu Tao. Magu is a legendary Taoist xian (仙 "immortal; transcendent") associated with the elixir of life.

Last edited:
Well, maybe you won't have to make them all...

This one appears to be an Athenian Dekadrachm coin (compared to a modern repro):

Also known as Charon's obol sometimes called a viaticum, or "sustenance for the journey"; the placement of the coin on the mouth has been explained also as a seal to protect the deceased's soul or to prevent it from returning. Sounds like a useful thing for Hellboy to carry around!

I always thought an easy one to do would be the Eye of Ra pendant that the members of the Heliopic Brotherhood of Ra carried:

ra.JPG

ra01.jpg

ra02.jpg

Yep, there's that Lemurian talisman again (or a variant anyway - it's a cool shape!)

This guy appears to be Abraxas / Abrasax, an ancient Greco-Roman (?) magico-religious figure(?):

Abraxas - Wikipedia

Actual period Abraxas seems to have been most commonly carved into stones / gemstones as a kind of signet ring or seal. Mingola seems to have drawn a pendant in his illustration – of which I can find two modern examples online (bottom two images):

Attachments

• abra1.jpg
    abra1.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 282
Yep. Easy.
Well, yeah...but...

Please take this as *constructive* criticism, since that's the intention - your renders are a bit too one-dimensional and "cookie cutter." They seem to be seriously lacking any style or "life" that makes them feel like Mignola pieces. Maybe it's the limitations of the program that you're using? Or perhaps you just need to try and push yourself a little more and keep refining your skills.

One thing that I've always done when creating Mignola pieces is to really study the details and the little peculiarities of his drawing style. One of the trademarks of his style to note are the little "dings" that he adds to stuff:

Mischrasse details.jpg

ogdru jahad details.jpg

Hmmm...I'm duplicating the look of the comic book. Intentionally.

<deleted>

Last edited:
As I said in my first post, "I just need some good pictures." Nobody has provided me with good pictures.

What you posted is a nice picture. I can work from that. I'm just not good at making up detail where non exists. And having a detailed reference instead of a comic reference is going to give better results. Perhaps I need a partner to find proper images for me to work from....

Uh... wow.

You do understand that "comic reference" is all there is to go on, right? These are things from comic books. It even says so right in the thread title: Hellboy (Comics)

This is all I had to go on when I created my replica:

Colossus pendant1.JPG
Colossus pendant2.JPG

Colossus pendant3.JPG
Colossus pendant5.jpg

If you're not able to work from something like that, I'm not really sure what to tell you. I'm not even sure why we're discussing this particular piece anyway - the OP stated that the intent was for the thread "to be a one-stop-shop for any Hellboy comic 'amulet' prop that hasn't already been covered elsewhere." This piece has been covered elsewhere - it's a licensed replica from Skelton Crew Studio.

Uh... wow.

You do understand that "comic reference" is all there is to go on, right? These are things from comic books. It even says so right in the thread title: Hellboy (Comics)

Yep. Guess I misunderstood. My bad. I thought some help would be better than no help.

I don't read comic books, I didn't realize there wouldn't be better pictures.

Last edited:
I'm not trying to be difficult. You said I could put more effort into it, but in general, I follow the principal that you can have any two of the following :

High quality, High quantity, and Free.

Other than the Blood Oath Marker in my free section, I don't put a lot of effort into the free stuff.

I can continue with "High quantity, and Free", but I won't bother if there's no audience for it.

Since I'm making STL files to be printed, I leave it to the end user to "weather" it.

Dude, you don't have to explain yourself - I understand. You volunteered though, and that says a lot.

Everyone has a different method to go about things - I was trying to show how I approach doing these types of pieces in particular.

I guess it would seem that your techniques aren't quite compatible with this sort of thing...

Okay, how about an alternative strategy.

Instead of quantity and free, choose quality and free.

Instead of me trying to model everything Hellboy, if someone wants a specific item and can provide me pictures, then I'll do that one at higher quality. There was a better moon amulet picture available, so clearly, at least some of the time there are close ups of amulets.

Last edited:
charm 2c pic.jpg

A final revisit.
If I'm making a variation, I might as well emphasize the Moon part.

Last edited:
H
Well, yeah...but...

Please take this as *constructive* criticism, since that's the intention - your renders are a bit too one-dimensional and "cookie cutter." They seem to be seriously lacking any style or "life" that makes them feel like Mignola pieces. Maybe it's the limitations of the program that you're using? Or perhaps you just need to try and push yourself a little more and keep refining your skills.

One thing that I've always done when creating Mignola pieces is to really study the details and the little peculiarities of his drawing style. One of the trademarks of his style to note are the little "dings" that he adds to stuff:

View attachment 988126
Do you have any of this pieces for sale? Because I’m trying to expand my Hellboy amulet collection. I’ll also ask my father to bring me some handmade ceramic pieces I tried to replicate so I can post pictures in this thread.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back