Heir to the Empire Disney + first film

I, personally, wouldn't want this. I don't like how the Noghri were realized in Rebels. Rukh looked terrible. I also couldn't stand Thrawn's voice or delivery, and do not want more of that. More to the point, in those books, the New Republic had Coruscant. In the new canon, they don't -- the ISB does, last we knew. They got to keep it as part of the surrender.

One of the elements I did like about the books was how, as time went on, the ambitious backstabbing Imperials in the Remnant killed each other off, or were executed en masse by Daala, and they ended up with Pellaeon in charge for a while and actually turned into something quasi-decent (in a speciesist, recovering-fascist sort of way). I had hoped, before TROS let me down, that the First Order would turn out to just be one faction of Imperial wannabes who had strategically regrouped out in the Unknown Regions and, when Our Heroes' backs were to the wall... Suddenly, a hail of blasterfire takes out their opponents and their rescuers turn out to be... Imperial Stormtroopers (I'm thinking Legacy-style, myself), because the Empire's continued evolving in isolation in the meantime. Full circle -- the white-armored troopers go from being good guys to bad guys back to good guys. I'm doing something like that in my rewrite.

But that would require someone in the story mosh pit at Lucasfilm to have some clear ideas of what constitutes good story and character arcs...

Now, we can argue that [GL] was influenced by a lot of movies/serials/writings (Joseph Campbell especially). From that influence base came SW.
Except he hadn't read Campbell yet. He only did after Star Wars came out and everyone started talking about the Hero's Journey and Campbell's books. That's when George read them and met with him.

The Universal came from the Greeks, then Campbell who took the same bases to explain the myths/legends, human story-telling that you could find in every Earth civilization. The reluctant unknown hero battling the forces of Evil...There's a certain innocence in SW. A child's imagination full of interesting scenario/adventures that touched our heart and core.
I hope that one can, once again, grasp that innocence and show us that it's possible to please everybody...I'm just looking for the next "Chosen One" I guess:unsure:
There are a lot of flaws with Campbell's work, as our understanding has grown over the last half-century. A revised approach is what I try to take, but in general, you've got it. ;)

Like you said yourself an idea like that could work, but that would require someone within Lucasfilm to be capable of writing a coherent story.

I don't think you can just lift characters from the Thrawn books and plug them into a new story and expect it to work just as well. So much of what made them work was the plot that Zahn structured for his trilogy. The New Republic was in a fragile place, trying to establish it's foothold with outlying systems without coming across like a new dictatorship.

The political intrigue within the former Imperial Palace was a huge element of the story and Thrawn knew that even though the New Republic had control of the Empire's last strongholds that they were in a vulnerable state and were trying to bring systems under their new leadership but diplomatically. He used their unspoken desperation to his tactical advantage and that's what made him such a formidable power.

That kind of story telling takes skill and without the context of those plot points you aren't telling Heir to the Empire (or that trilogy), you're telling a totally different story. I didn't watch Rebels but just because Thrawn and the Noghri made appearances simply isn't the same thing as Zahn's books. I mean Thrawn died at the end of that trilogy too, so there's also that.

Last edited:
How many Spider-Man reboots & movies have there been in the last 20 years?

When was the last time you saw a big tentpole movie that didn't need few more months of script work?

What hit TV series has not gotten frustrating in the later seasons?

Star Wars isn't unique. Not anymore. It's suffering from the same problems that plague the whole industry. Too many productions, too many reboots, too many release dates, not enough scripting.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back