Anyone have a found parts X-Wing/Snowspeeder helmet ?

Made from a real APH-6 helmet you mean? Yeah, a bunch of us, including me. I don't have any pics handy at the moment, perhaps later...

Not mine, just some pix I had on file.

full-7dbf3f24a65cf7771ad601ecff25b961.JPG
full-6577e7ad4d227643f928c2583be17651.JPG
full-ee9adfb91369fd81a28b4cc0106de009.JPG

In case you are not aware and simply for the sake of information, no screen used helmet is actually using the helmet as a base. They simply utilized a helmet to create a vacuum-formed shell to make the helmets you see in the original trilogy.

It is not unusual though for prop/costume replica collectors to build up the vintage flight helmet with a kit as an idealized replica. I have had a couple done it my history of a collector. I almost did it a third time but the vintage was in too good o condition for me to ruin in a conversion.

II’ve also seen someone use the later APH version without the accurate rams horn, they just take the uneeded hardware off and slap an X-Wing helmet shell kit and fiberglass over it. It’s a good way to get that idealized feel of a helmet without having to find a helmet that is getting harder and more expensive to source.

If you do mod an existing helmet, it needs to have the proper shape of an APH helmet with the extra width for the earcups. I once sculpted and moulded fibreglass rams horns on top of a more spherically-shaped motorcycle helmet and that did not look right.

Some details on the original APH helmets were left on when it was moulded, leaving details in the vacuu-formed helmet shells. For instance a couple of rivets and the original edge trim, which was thicker in the back of the neck. So, for accuracy's sake that should be built up around the opening's. The cast helmet shells got rubber edge trim mounted onto that shape of the original edge trim.

By the way, the Snowspeeder pilots also wore a "soft helmet" cap underneath the hard helmet. I've identified the pattern as resembling that of British 1940's RAF flying helmets. I believe it had likely been made of the same fabric as the Rebel soldier's hats: which was a medium-weight off-white cotton twill. (I've held one of those in my hands)
The chin strap was tied under the chin. (a real flying helmet would have had fasteners)

As far as we know, were the vacuformed x-wing helmets the same dimensions as a real APH helmet? Since the x-wing helmets were created in two halves with a mohawk, they could have altered the width. I'm curious how the measurements of a real APH helmet compare to the various replicas since the dimensions vary by maker.

Well, the helmets are/were available in different sizes anyway, so depending on what they started with might have determined how much they modified it.
My guess would be that Mark Hamill’s helmet was fitted to him (built for him) and the other were more likely done in batches as a large and a small and then just matched as the other pilots were cast.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back