Have Shadow FX Darth Vader gotten better lately?

If your limited on pricing, I'd say to try and find an EFX pcr, the prices for those have gone up a ridicolous amount but its a decent enough helmet, the next step up if your looking for a fibreglass helmet with some lineage and looks pretty nice, I'd say a GH is the way to go, good price. I personally am a huge fan of the GH Rotj with a small bit of work to it. But if there's no obstacle in pricing you should definitley look into a mike warren/bookface helmet
I think the prices are about the same now. It's showing $1000 on ebay.... what is the point at that point.

I think the prices are about the same now. It's showing $1000 on ebay.... what is the point at that point.
yes the asking price for this is ridiculous now, i've repainted one for somebody and the helmet is nice for the retail price tag but not for the aftermarket listing prices, especially since they're plastic not worth it in my eyes, fibreglass is always the way to go for Vader IMO.

If you have a cap of $900, that will eliminate some. The Mike Warren ANH was well over that when I ordered from him, but his ESB should be in your price range. The Quasimodo (ANH, ESB, or ROTJ) should be in your range as well. I don't know about some of the others.

In general helmets with lineage to the Rick Baker mold go for around $1500 finished. The Mike Warren ANH has lineage to this. His ESB has lineage to an ESB stunt helmet.

Some people sell raw casts. You could leave it as is, finish it yourself, or pay someone else to finish it.

I have a Quasimodo ANH and a Mike Warren ESB. I can highly recommend both.

A big decision is which version you want. ANH is usually much more beat up looking than ESB or ROTJ. Obviously this is an expensive purchase, do your research so you make a good choice.

I think in some ways I might prefer the EFX PCR. It's because I think that's how Darth Vader was meant to look like. I know people like the imperfections because that's how it looked in the movie and they are nostalgic to that but I don't think the prop makers meant to have a c scar and show paint brush lines. After all the ESB and ROTJ didn't. They were very clean and shiny. In the star wars world, if it was real, Vader's helmet definitely would have looked cleaner as it did in ESB and ROTJ. Another thing is, until the star wars came out in blu ray and I was able to see clean footage and close ups of darth vader, I didn't realize how sloppy the mask looked. I was a bit disappointed.

That being said, I think I would still like a reproduction of the ANH movie prop but I'd probably ask the maker to not put in the scratches like the c scar. That's just me. I know George Lucas said he wanted things to look dirty and used. Like the Millennium Falcon was dirty but to me that is fine. But not for Vader. He would have had multiple masks. If his mask was meant to be dirty, then they would have all been like that in every movie.

I know in the guitar world. People loooove relic guitars. Guitars that look beaten up and have the character of looking used. They even make professionally relic'd guitars. I don't like that. I like new guitars. When famous musicians received most of their guitars, they were in mint condition. They made their guitar look like that after many years of playing. You don't see many people liking beaten up cars with crappy paint jobs. Like a Chevy Bel Air. Looks better when it's painted and clean. Anyways that's just my opinion. But they also make professionally worn jeans too. Sooo I know it depends on people's preferences.

efx made several Vader helmets. The PCR is plastic. The Legend and Limited were fiberglass. The mold was somewhat cleaned up compared to the original helmets. You can find info about these on the RPF and Youtube. All of the efx Vader helmets sell for well over their original price.

I would think one of the makers would be willing to make an ANH helmet but a much cleaner paintjob. That is an advantage of having a helmet made.

I have an efx Limited Edition Vader.

In 1977 when I saw the film I didn't notice any of the imperfections or minor details that some people really care about, so the efx Limited Vader is the perfect helmet for me. It looks exactly like how I remember Vader. I smile every time I see it. I also value the fact it is licensed, some people don't care about that, but again it's just a personal preference.

Decide what is important to you, and buy the Vader that best fits those preferences.

As already written by many you have to know what you want and of course how much you are willing to pay.

If you want

…lineage to the original? Mike Warren
…a official licensed product? EFX (PCR, Limited or Legend)
…a very good (maybe the best) fan made helmet? Bookface

I have an ANH from Mike and an ESB from bookface myself. I am absolutely satisfied and happy with both of them.

darn those stupid pyre helmets. Selling for more than normal helmets. $2000-$3000. I would never want something that looks like a bunch of mangled burnt tires. Why not buy a real one for cheaper and throw it in the fire for a couple minutes. We need to make a burnt Vader glove like in the book. "The Glove of Darth Vader" and sell it for thousands.

The link is to the sales thread here on the rpf. In it is a link to the eBay sale.

The link is to the sales thread here on the rpf. In it is a link to the eBay sale.
I don't think it ships to Canada. It won't show up in the search.

I found this though. It's also a limited edition.

the plaque from this one and the plaque from the link you sent me (It's not in the ebay listing, it's at the end of the thread) are different. The second one doesn't have a serial number.
1636414666701.png

1636414695624.png

I don't think it ships to Canada. It won't show up in the search.

I found this though. It's also a limited edition.

that looks to be the plastic version (pcr) not the limited fibreglass version

The one I mentioned is an actual numbered limited edition and is made of fiberglass. The other one is a Precision Cast Replica (PCR) and is injection molded plastic. That plaque is fan made, not one that came with the helmet. All of the EFX ones currently one eBay are plastic, except for Trent’s.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back