Hasbro Hero Series Millennium Falcon

bahamut443

Here's my take on the Hasbro Hero Series Millennium Falcon. I got it cheap from Walmart, so I'm going for a budget build as a nice piece to hang from my home office. Here goes...

WP_20150521_13_23_00_Pro.jpg WP_20150521_13_23_16_Pro.jpg WP_20150521_13_23_34_Pro.jpg

After some acrylic silver paint. The idea is to apply the silver to make the surface appear metallic; then to apply a coat of acrylic charcoal.

FYI - I applied the stickers, as you can see.

WP_20150523_13_17_18_Pro.jpg WP_20150523_13_17_32_Pro.jpg WP_20150523_19_07_15_Pro.jpg WP_20150523_19_07_31_Pro.jpg WP_20150524_14_45_43_Pro.jpg WP_20150524_14_45_54_Pro.jpg

Are you using any surface adhesion promoter? Seems the polypropylene (PP or no.5 plastic) resists most paints (good for a toy, eh?) so a coat of (typically) car bumper adhesion promoter is needed to ensure the paint stays stuck - especially when you're giving it follow-on weathering.

It should make a nice display item even just with a decent paint job.

Regards, Robert

Are you using any surface adhesion promoter? Seems the polypropylene (PP or no.5 plastic) resists most paints (good for a toy, eh?) so a coat of (typically) car bumper adhesion promoter is needed to ensure the paint stays stuck - especially when you're giving it follow-on weathering.

It should make a nice display item even just with a decent paint job.

Regards, Robert

No, but that's the general idea. I want to be able to rub off the charcoal acrylic paint with a damp rag and darken the crevices. When I'm done weathering, I will seal it with a matte clear.

WP_20150525_18_43_13_Pro.jpg WP_20150525_18_43_23_Pro.jpg WP_20150525_23_08_45_Pro.jpg WP_20150530_14_27_50_Pro.jpg

It's amazing how much your paint treatment makes it look like the Fantasy Flight Games Millennium Falcon, which is only 1:270 (compare to this model being around 1:48). It's an interesting take on the subject.

--Alex

Very cool effect indeed. It looks like a painting.

Thanks! I wanted to make the cheap side panel stickers look like they were a part of the model itself. From a couple feet away, you can't tell they're stickers at all.
I've seen a lot of guys go all out by 3D printing the side panels and making it more movie accurate, but this suits me for what it is. It's a great piece. This thing is huge!

Looks a lot better than stock and with only $10 in materials and a week's time, it's a great budget display item for the home office! :)

That looks absolutely fantastic for a quick repaint,
I'm eventually doing a serious detailed paint up on mine but the way yours has come out I would like to use the technique you are showing there for my spare one that I was going to sell at a toy fair I'm doing soon....
Do you let the charcoal dry completely? What happened to the metalic layer did it come off too? :)

That looks absolutely fantastic for a quick repaint,
I'm eventually doing a serious detailed paint up on mine but the way yours has come out I would like to use the technique you are showing there for my spare one that I was going to sell at a toy fair I'm doing soon....
Do you let the charcoal dry completely? What happened to the metalic layer did it come off too? :)

Yes, let it dry. It will slightly darken the panels of the ship (compare to the very white appearance of the model out of the box). I did the same for the silver. The silver really comes out in the texture of the ship. You can also see a nice blend of silver under the charcoal in the crevasses. Gives it a dirty metallic look.

I love these toy conversion / improvements. For a quick job, i think it awesome. I'm getting ready to do the x-wing and i had the same intensions to just knock it out quickly. Now, I think I'll do a complete overhaul. I do like your use of the acrylic charcoal. I was also wondering how might a prime coat react to that plastic.

In the pics, the model looks as though its been painted off-white. Its a great paint job. What colours did you use and in what order? Did you use actual charcoal?

For a down and dirty conversion with out a lot of work or cash I love it!

Good JOB.

And See the sticker panels look great!:lol

In the pics, the model looks as though its been painted off-white. Its a great paint job. What colours did you use and in what order? Did you use actual charcoal?

I thought it was charcoal, but it's actually called pavement. Went with a dark grey instead of black for the outlining and used the copper metallic to imitate rust. Used the black to dry brush the smoke trails from the exhaust posts. Can find these matte acrylics at WalMart for $0.49 each. The metallic silver isn't pictured here, but you can see it in one of my earlier posted images.

WP_20151121_18_02_29_Pro.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back