Has anyone else fallen out of love with Doctor Who?

It could happen easily enough. As the Doctor regenerates we cut to the 50th anniversary episode where Matt Smith and Tom Baker are talking.

Where the Curator tells him, “You may find yourself revisiting some of your old faces, or at least some of your favorite ones.”

Then the regeneration completes, David Tenet is back and Alonzy!

It could happen easily enough. As the Doctor regenerates we cut to the 50th anniversary episode where Matt Smith and Tom Baker are talking.

Where the Curator tells him, “You may find yourself revisiting some of your old faces, or at least some of your favorite ones.”

WHO knows wink wink

Here's the thing that I'm optimistic about, he's such a beloved creator for the franchise, I think if he came back & had the Doctor wake up from a coma, many fans would say, "Good enough.".

Lol

In reality though, he was able to bring the show back from where it was before, so I'm confident he could do it again. My concern is that back then, there weren't anywhere CLOSE to the eyes on the show that are on there now, & neither was the global dollar machine behind it. Depending on how it plays out, both those things could lead to much more freedom OR many more restrictions.

That is really good news. I know everyone is congratulating each other on doing great jobs and whatnot in that article but I think someone at the BBC knew that there cash cow was being run into the ground John Nathan-Turner style.
It will only take one good season to get the feel of the show back on track.
He has been away from the show for long enough that maybe he will jump right in with some fresh
story ideas.

Well, in his first episode he WAS really really tired and they had trouble waking him up? Maybe it WAS just a bad dream :)

I think this is great news but I am still concerned by how much say the BBC will have in the content of the show. We have seen a lot of PC in the last few years that I hope Davies will be able to put an end too.

I wouldn't say, other than the fact that he's the one that made the Doctor horny and that's not what I want to see. It's like these people have never seen the classic show. It's a show for kids.

Let’s not forget Mini Doctor trapped in a cage for a year while Martha Jones walked the entire earth telling everyone how awesome he was so that he could get young again and beat the Master.

I also just remembered the face-crab things that were in Capaldi's first Christmas episode... the one where Clara was SUPPOSED TO DIE before Jenna Coleman changed her mind about staying another season.

Those things put you in a coma where you dreamed while they fed on you. Couldn't tell you were in a dream until you were freed.

That being said, climate being what it is, they'll never retcon Whittaker's Doctor. Not insinuating they should, but some fans would see that as demeaning what she brought to the show. I've had many more problems with the companions & stories than I EVER had with her, which was no problem at all.

Let’s not forget Mini Doctor trapped in a cage for a year while Martha Jones walked the entire earth telling everyone how awesome he was so that he could get young again and beat the Master.
Martha is my favorite of all of the new companions because she not only walked away from the Tardis, she actually made something of herself thereafter without having to fawn over the Doctor. Pretty much all of the other ones in the Davies era were horribly damaged people who never turned into self-sufficient adults.

Pretty much all of the other ones in the Davies era were horribly damaged people who never turned into self-sufficient adults.
I'm not sure I agree completely. Mickey walked away & stayed in the other reality but eventually married Martha, Rose joined Torchwood in hers, & Jack led Torchwood here. Donna matured the most, but was 'reset' to her immature self to save her life. Their paths crossed with the Doctor again, but they did make something of themselves.

I'd almost argue that the only one that completely matches your description is the Doctor.

I would love a return to the classic format. No agendas, no ‘Earth would never have existed were it not for the Doctor’, no ‘companions are the center of the universe’, no wide ranging universe altering stories! Just the Doctor and his friends exploring time and space just for the sake of it, and when they get mixed up in stuff, fix it and be off again.

Watch Tom Baker’s The Arc in Space and then tell me that‘s not perfect Doctor Who.

I would love a return to the classic format. No agendas, no ‘Earth would never have existed were it not for the Doctor’, no ‘companions are the center of the universe’, no wide ranging universe altering stories! Just the Doctor and his friends exploring time and space just for the sake of it, and when they get mixed up in stuff, fix it and be off again.

Watch Tom Baker’s The Arc in Space and then tell me that‘s not perfect Doctor Who.

Strong agree. Keep it small, keep it weird, keep it scary.

I'm not sure I agree completely. Mickey walked away & stayed in the other reality but eventually married Martha, Rose joined Torchwood in hers, & Jack led Torchwood here. Donna matured the most, but was 'reset' to her immature self to save her life. Their paths crossed with the Doctor again, but they did make something of themselves.

I'd almost argue that the only one that completely matches your description is the Doctor.
I kind of throw Mickey into that as well, I don't think he was really a serious companion, he was Rose's erstwhile boyfriend that sometimes went along for the ride, mostly so she could abuse him. Martha was the best thing that ever happened to him and they went on as a pair to do big things with UNIT. I'm really only counting people who were full-time companions over the long haul. Donna wound up a mess, right back where she started. That's tragic, not growth.

A few thoughts.

1. I still haven't seen the Chibnall/Whitaker run. I still plan to give it a chance at some point. Just haven't got round to it.

2. That said, in broad strokes, I don't mind the "PC" stuff. I'm not going to derail this into politics, but certain aspects of what are commonly derided as "PC" track to my political leanings. I do want to see such issues handled well, though, if you're gonna do it. I appreciate good representation and messages that I tend to agree with, but come on, at least handle it with a little deftness. As an example, I've been watching Supergirl since it premiered and generally enjoyed it, but in its first episode back in this final season after its hiatus, they did some kind of smash-you-in-the-face unsubtle MESSAGE INCOMING stuff and I was just like "Ugh. I can't. Sorry" and turned it off. I don't object to the content of the message. I object to the method of delivery and how uninteresting the writing was for it. If that's how the Chibnall era goes, then I expect I'll tolerate it at best.

3. Pretty much the entire Moffat run (Smith and Capaldi both) were fairly unsatisfying. Moffat worked best as an episode writer rather than a showrunner, and his excesses hurt the series, in ways that reminded me of the JNT era. And just like the JNT era, there's plenty to like about the Moffat run, but the flaws are incredibly glaring and difficult to ignore. As a result, I LOATHE Moffat as a showrunner, but love a decent number of the episodes in his era. The greatest sin, though, of that era was keeping Clara on another season. Her story was done at the end of Season...12? I think? Wherever she goes off to find Danny Pink's lost kid or whatever. The season, which had been a mixed bag, built to that point, and then reached its natural break point, and off she went, leaving the Doctor behind. AND THAT'S WHERE IT SHOULD HAVE ENDED. Sure, Hell Bent is a great episode from the next season, but Clara and...uh...Ashilde? Was that it? I dunno. Whatever. Arya. Clara and Arya were more irritating as characters than interesting. The Mel season was a lot better, and way better than I expected, but it was also brief.

4. I'm glad they're bringing back Russel T. Davies. I most enjoyed his era. That said, towards the end...it got pretty wobbly. Davies tended to spin into these grand stories that just didn't pay off effectively, and I did not love the "Season of Specials" that they did that one year. Or maybe it was 18 months? Whatever. That sucked. They need to get their production schedule settled.

5. I'm fine with keeping a "team effort" thing with companions, provided said companions are themselves interesting. I actually enjoy the really old eras of Doctor Who when the companions did a lot more. Like, the 2nd Doctor with Jamie and Zoe. I liked that. The Doctor doesn't need to be an action hero, although he or she can still be the magic space wizard. Still, no problem having a support team for said wizard. Just make it interesting.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back