Has anyone else fallen out of love with Doctor Who?

Maybe a new doctor is needed to freshing things up. I think the impact of the current doctor hasn't been as big as they hoped for?

The only new era doctor to last more than 3 years was Tennant and this will be her 3rd year.

I do think they assumed current doctor would keep all existing viewer and add a bunch of new ones and that did not happen on either end.

The problem is more than just Chibnal. The BBC has changed over the years and not in a good way. I think he's getting a lot of pressure from above to produce a certain kind of show. I love Jodie as an actress but this just isn't the role for her and all of the side characters, they're all flat and bland and boring. They are expecting Jodie to take command of the show and she's given nothing at all to work with. Then there are all of the breaks they're taking which is just killing the show.

Honestly, if you want to fix the show, the first thing that needs to happen is they need to take it away from the BBC. I know that won't happen, but it needs to find a home with no political agenda. Secondly, while I don't think they need to replace Chris Chibnal, I think he needs help. He's written some really good episodes in the past but someone else has been in charge. He needs someone to oversee the broad strokes of a larger narrative because he just can't do that right now. I don't know if that's a problem with his mandates from the BBC or not. but he's proven that, so far at least, he just can't manage it. Third, I think they need to re-establish what the hell they're trying to do. Right now, it's clear they lack a vision of what Doctor Who is supposed to be. There was never a goal behind Jodie's Who. It was "I am woman, hear me roar!" That's why nobody argues with her because she can't be wrong. There really are no larger issues for the Doctor to handle. And finally, wherever the idea that everything has to be bigger and louder than ever before, that has to go away. They're just plowing through the mythology like they don't need it anymore. Stop doing that. You're just driving Who fans away. This show has been around for more than 50 years. Respect that! But they can't because... political agenda and all.

And that just makes the whole thing pathetically stupid.

The problem is more than just Chibnal. The BBC has changed over the years and not in a good way. I think he's getting a lot of pressure from above to produce a certain kind of show. I love Jodie as an actress but this just isn't the role for her and all of the side characters, they're all flat and bland and boring. They are expecting Jodie to take command of the show and she's given nothing at all to work with. Then there are all of the breaks they're taking which is just killing the show.

Honestly, if you want to fix the show, the first thing that needs to happen is they need to take it away from the BBC. I know that won't happen, but it needs to find a home with no political agenda. Secondly, while I don't think they need to replace Chris Chibnal, I think he needs help. He's written some really good episodes in the past but someone else has been in charge. He needs someone to oversee the broad strokes of a larger narrative because he just can't do that right now. I don't know if that's a problem with his mandates from the BBC or not. but he's proven that, so far at least, he just can't manage it. Third, I think they need to re-establish what the hell they're trying to do. Right now, it's clear they lack a vision of what Doctor Who is supposed to be. There was never a goal behind Jodie's Who. It was "I am woman, hear me roar!" That's why nobody argues with her because she can't be wrong. There really are no larger issues for the Doctor to handle. And finally, wherever the idea that everything has to be bigger and louder than ever before, that has to go away. They're just plowing through the mythology like they don't need it anymore. Stop doing that. You're just driving Who fans away. This show has been around for more than 50 years. Respect that! But they can't because... political agenda and all.

And that just makes the whole thing pathetically stupid.
Sometimes, a show either needs to take a break or it fizzles out. Remember, when this incarnation started, there was no streaming wars. Now we have so much choice that this show has far more competition from other entertainment shows.

Sometimes, a show either needs to take a break or it fizzles out. Remember, when this incarnation started, there was no streaming wars. Now we have so much choice that this show has far more competition from other entertainment shows.

It's not that they can't make good shows, it's that they're trying to stuff so much dumb crap into it, things that have nothing at all to do with Doctor Who, that the actual show gets lost.

And i don't put competition in the any of the reasons either. For the first 48 years or so, it was always on Saturday night, which, always had competition with people going out. They then intentionally moved it into Sunday night where it faces more actual competition at least stateside.

It's like they want it, but don't understand it in the slightest and have no idea what to do with it, OR, it's all intentional and they're trying to kill it. Why? I have no clue, it has to be - by far - their largest money maker outside England itself if not in England as well.

As far as agenda's go, yeah, they're pushing one which has be coming from corporate, but they aren't the only ones. And they should start realizing it hurts more than helps in a number of situations. I watched something new over last weekend which was new and seemed interesting but the execution was horrible. Part of it was agenda, and part of it was just bad writing. But that stuff is must more and more common these days.

I am confident they know EXACTLY what they are doing. The same crap is happening elsewhere. The woke cannot resist seizing established *ANYTHING*, and turning it into something they approve. It also gets them (negative) attention. They cannot receive the affirmation they crave unless they hijack something others consider dear... then intentionally butcher it.

They are playing a game of chicken with old-school fans, and using that attention to court people who never were fans. This is sad because the new fans, who might get attracted to the manufactured drama, aren't the long-term type. So, they may kill a well-established, once loved show, but (*sarcasm*) thank goodness they got their woke message out.

On a deeper level, they want affirmation of what they are projecting. In psychology, "projection" is when you accuse others of *YOUR* issue. If they label *YOU* as something negative, then they can't possibly be like that, themselves, but they are OBSESSED with those very issues.

Y"know, it is like how some people think a relationship allows them to push limits and get away with crap, while others think a relationship means you don't try evil stuff.

I still haven't watched the new season.

Between year-long breaks between seasons and Moffat's run on the show, I lost interest. I'll get to it at some point, but...meh.

I don't really think I'd be put off by "political" stuff. I'd be more put off by stupid plotting, uninteresting characters, and/or hewing too closely to the Moffat model.

I still haven't watched the new season.

Between year-long breaks between seasons and Moffat's run on the show, I lost interest. I'll get to it at some point, but...meh.

I don't really think I'd be put off by "political" stuff. I'd be more put off by stupid plotting, uninteresting characters, and/or hewing too closely to the Moffat model.
Well, the current show checks off every box on this list.

Doctor Who was always an acquired taste. I loved the old 70s episodes on PBS when I was kid, I think maybe because to me it looked like something I might have been able to make myself when I got older and could find people who could act.
I still love the Tom Baker years, though.
The new series came as a shock. Doctor Who with a good budget and decent FX seemed contrary to everything I knew. But for the most part, I liked the show. Yeah, the "running down corridors" feel of the original show (long something people complained about the original series) was gone, and the scripts varied each year. For example, a few seasons were filled with really sad episodes.
Capaldi was okay, I guess, but I really lost interest once Whitaker came around.
Yeah, at first I wasn't keen on a female doctor, but I was okay with it fast enough even though she didn't really bring anything to the role other than her gender.
No, what lost my interest was the PC-centric scripts we were now dealing with. Doctor Who goes to help Rosa Parks? REALLY? All this PC-oriented preaching got very old, very fast for me.
That, and the random nature of the schedules. For several recent seasons, I never knew when a new one was coming out. I missed at least an entire season (maybe two) as I never could tell when new ones were airing.
Anyone old enough to remember the tail end of the 'classic' era of DW the end of the 1980s can remember how it had slowly slid into silliness with the quality of the production and the scripts getting worse with each new serial before the BCC puled the plug. I remember the end coming back then (though most Americans didn't see those episodes until years later as PBS was many years behind with the BBC production) and when I saw them, I understood why. The Silvester McCoy era (as well as the Colin Baker era before him) was terrible for many reasons. The scripts were a huge part of that.
Same thing here. As others here have pointed out, with each episode trying to top the previous one for "most important revelation in the history of the series" each week got old really fast. And then to hear that the Doctor wasn't a Time Lord at all? I got sick of this show trying to re-write it's history (some could argue that again, PC issues prevailed) with each new episode.
And the companions? Okay, let's check off the list of demographics. I'm surprised they don't have a trans-gender companion (though Whitaker's Doctor might qualify as such?) to complete the PC BINGO card.
The PC-centric writing has been groan-inducing for a while and I'm not all that concerned as to what I might have missed as I still have no idea when they'll show new ones.
Whitaker is on her way out as the Doctor from what I hear and if they can shift future plots away from PC sermons, they can save what has been a floundering series for way too long.

Last edited:
The Doctor Who airing schedule seems to be similar to the McRib. If it was on the menu all year long, no one would buy it. But since it’s ONLY AVAILABLE FOR SIX WEEKS A YEAR.... hundreds of thousands fly out of the warmer.

Maybe why we get Doctor Who so little is that they try to rekindle nostalgia with each airing.

I highly recommend the Big Finish App audio, out of time. It’s stars Tom Baker and David Tenet as the fourth and 10th doctors. It is a excellent crossover, two doctors story. Ironically, they were filmed in their individual homes separated by quarantine. None of the voice actors were with each other at any time. It is just a fabulous story, and well worth the price.

The Doctor Who airing schedule seems to be similar to the McRib. If it was on the menu all year long, no one would buy it. But since it’s ONLY AVAILABLE FOR SIX WEEKS A YEAR.... hundreds of thousands fly out of the warmer.

Maybe why we get Doctor Who so little is that they try to rekindle nostalgia with each airing.
And the McRib comes back more often - which is sad.

Keep in mind that you were 9 years old when you ‘loved’ a McRib. That was the same age when you thought SpaghettiOs was gourmet pasta!
Not me. I was in high school. They were good the first couple of times around, then they got to be dry, crusty crap slathered in cheap sauce.

Is all this a reference to the new "McWho" story arc ?Where compressed pink slime becomes sentient. It begins eating humans on a shingle, dipped in sauce, WITH PICKLES!!!

If you thought supermodels with gold dreadlocks keeping the daleks at bay was enthralling, Davros becomes King of Spaghettios!

If shirtless John Pertwee couldn't make you look away...

Awaiting a return of the Chronovore? Look no further!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back