Harry Potter Platform 9 3/4 ticket

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by juno, Feb 7, 2006.

1. juno

juno Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

*UPDATED WITH A NEW PIC*
    So I decided a great way to learn Illustrator would be redoing the Platform 9 3/4 ticket from Harry Potter. I've already gotten a pretty good price on the gold foiling -- I'm going to go the Adamata route when it's finished and offer it to the board at cost. (eBay pricing. . . now that's another matter...)

I should note that this wouldn't have happened without Division 6 sharing his awesome reference photos.

Here's a screenshot:
    [​IMG]

Here is my version:
    [​IMG]
    One thing I should note is that although the middle finials look odd, they gold leaf pretty closely to the orginal. (That was one of my big worries.)

2. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow. I would so love a couple of these. I think it looks great.

3. SG Merc

SG Merc Well-Known Member

I'm not familiar with the source material, but, as an Illustrator user myself, kudos on the good work so far. I just spent several hours earlier in CS2 (police work though), so I can appreciate how you know every detail that needs to be changed.

In your second photo it almost looks like you've used foil stamping for your border, or is that just a really high gloss paper? Looks really sharp.

4. juno

It's actually a foil that you iron on. I print the gold part on my inkject, photocopy it (the foil only adheres to toner) then print the second part. I'm not extremely happy with this foil though, so I'm waiting for more to come in.

My grandpop did police sketches when he was a detective, it always seemed like it'd be interesting work.

5. mtsbspidey

mtsbspidey Well-Known Member

"Be gentle. . . I feel I'm close...but it still feels off."
    "The size of mine seems off, but Harry's a kid and I'm just not sure if it's just the camera angle."

not to be nitpicky...but i guess i'm going to be...

your ticket is a little too wide...just holding a ruler to my moniter both tickets measure 2 1/8" tall but the screen grab ticket is 4" wide while your's is 4 3/4"....if you look at the space between "london to hogwarts" and the corner design the screen grab has 1/4" of space and your's has almost 1/2"...

the words "platform 9 3/4" are slightly too narrow...in the screen grab the design in the center of the ticket touches the inside of the vertical of the "P" and the inside edge of the "3/4"...in your's it touches the outside of the vertical and almost completely encompasses the "3/4"....

also there looks like there should be another line of space between "from london to hogwarts" and "for one way travel"...

that said...they really do look amazing and even if you don't fix a thing i'd still buy at least one...but if i was making them i'd want feedback that let me know exactly what needed fixing...skott

6. juno

That's exactly what I wanted. The reason I did it in Illustrator was because the vector art can be infinitely tweak.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Will post revisions sometime tomorrow.

7. juno

I've added the most recent revision to the top. Comments would be REALLY appreciated :)

8. Kris

Kris Sr Member

It seems the 'dirt' aroudn the background circles is larger.. and just different. but it looks great already.

9. juno

I think it washed out a bit when I lightened the levels in Photoshop to upload it :-/ it's a bit bigger / darker IRL.

10. misterfusion

misterfusion Sr Member

Looks spectacular.

Thought about paper stock yet? I don't know from paper weights and such, but I've got some great grey medium weight paper I print certificates on.

I'd be very interested in one of these.

Great work.

Steve

11. juno

I think the paper is actually white -- it's just got a "velvety" nap that makes it look a little different in that screenshot, not all the shots of the ticket have the bluish tinge.

I was thinking about using a cotton paper -- maybe a 32 lb weight.

12. Ramsey

Ramsey Well-Known Member

Wow. That one looks much more accurate than the one I made awhile back. Have you considered the Avery metallic print stock yet? I used that one myself, and it worked great. It's a card stock, though. I would much rather have made mine from paper, but it was the best I could find at the time, though I haven't been able to find any more lately.

13. juno

Here's what I did for gold foil on my auctions:
    [​IMG]

It's a foil you iron-on. Hope that helps.

JPH likes this.
  14. mtsbspidey

not to be a jerk...but it's still a little too wide...check this out...count the clovers...
    [​IMG]
    ...the one in the movie only has 3 clovers between the letters and the corner design while your's has 6...i'd suggest keeping the text exactly as is but just cut the frame a little (if that's possible...i don't know illustrator at all)...but aside from that tiny nitpick it looks perfect...great work...skott

15. juno

I actually thought my clovers looked too small -- but you think they're the right size and it's the frame that's too small?

I think cutting it to three might be too much, maybe cut a couple and enlarge the clovers a bit? I haven't gotten * enough to count the clovers in the top of the screenshot...but I guess I could.

16. CanadianKnight

CanadianKnight New Member

I'd certainly be in for a couple of these once you've got 'em nailed down. Lookin' good.

17. mtsbspidey

"I actually thought my clovers looked too small -- but you think they're the right size and it's the frame that's too small?

I think cutting it to three might be too much, maybe cut a couple and enlarge the clovers a bit? I haven't gotten * enough to count the clovers in the top of the screenshot...but I guess I could."

the clovers look about the right size to me...it's the space between the text and the corner design...it's too wide...you can also see it in the space between the 9 3/4 and the corner design...skott

18. Henriko2

Henriko2 Well-Known Member

Will these be free.
    If they are post them in the Fre paper props forum. If you don't have anywhere to host the file(s) i can help you ;)

19. juno

It's done, it's done.

[​IMG]

I've been selling versions on eBay -- but I really think that this one is almost on-the-money with the screencap.

Just wanted to show it off.

20. Goldenrod

Goldenrod Sr Member

I would like one:)

21. division 6

division 6 Master Member

Well done. :)

D6

22. qwa_raig

qwa_raig Active Member

Those are pretty sweet. I am going to direct a friend of mine over here, she loves the HP stuff. Excellent workmanship.

23. TFrosst

TFrosst Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That does look great printed out. Great job.

24. EmmasOneandOnly

EmmasOneandOnly New Member

Awsome :D

Big round of a applause......

25. misterfusion

misterfusion Sr Member

Great.

Let us know how much and when :)

Steve

26. mtsbspidey

very very nice...i have no more suggestions...that is really amazing work...i would definitely want at least one or two....skott

27. juno

28. Kevin

Kevin Well-Known Member

These are just beautiful. Mine's arrived in good 'ol Blighty.

Looking at the wonderful packaging and all the surprise extra bits and pieces, I'm going to have to put some effort into displaying this properly.

Anybody have pictures to share of their Hogwarts Express ticket on display?

29. Great_Bizarro

Great_Bizarro Sr Member

Very nice work. Where do you get the gold leaf that irons on to toner? I would love to have a go at other items using that.

30. dashrender

dashrender New Member

These are awesome, I can't wait to order a few for gifts. My friends and family will just love them.

Thanks for running this great project.

31. yakcam

yakcam Sr Member

These are beautiful, if anyone's thinking about getting one, do it.

Juno's really done herself proud with these :thumbsup

Cheers,

Kraig

32. gnrlotto

gnrlotto Sr Member

Should be getting mine soon. Everyone else has got me salivating. Shut up. :)

33. Geniepants

Geniepants Well-Known Member

Looking good, PM sent.

34. gnrlotto

gnrlotto Sr Member

Got mine today. Slow post office too. Great job, fantastic price, excellent outside addition to my Potter display. I'm proud to have a pair of these. If you get them, I strongly reccommend to get two. One for keeps, one for play/handling/display.

35. cocomonk22

cocomonk22 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Terrific attention to detail on this prop. All of the extras that came with it made the package more than worth its great price. :)

36. Geniepants

Geniepants Well-Known Member

Got mine a few days ago, and I'm VERY pleased. My wife liked hers, and I can't wait to see her little cousin's reaction when she gets hers. Thanks a ton, Juno.

37. kitty86j

kitty86j New Member

would love to have one too but the link does not direct to anywhere XD

JPH likes this.
  38. JPH

JPH Sr Member

Yah, dead link

39. sonicfreak04

sonicfreak04 Well-Known Member