Harry Potter - Gryffindor dorm bed curtains

AuthentiProp

Hi all,
I'm new to this website and am reposting my question in this section of the forum on the advice of a fellow member. (Thanks!)

Does anyone know about the fabric used for the bed curtains in the boys' Gryffindor dormitory?
It was red velvet with celestial gold embroidery.
Was it specially made for the films? Or commercially available? Or has anybody seen anything similar?

Someone on another thread thought it might've been printed (specially for the film) but in the Warner Brother London studio tour it really looks embroidered.

Does anyone know more / found anything similar?

Thanks all!

I have ordered a scrap piece of red/gold velvet to play with. I'm wondering if it was possibly screen printed or maybe embossed. I'll post pics of what I come up with.

Here is a photo I took of the curtains at the Warner Brothers Studio outside London. The pattern looks gold to me rather than silver.

Attachments

• Bed Curtains.jpg
    Bed Curtains.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 279
Last edited:
I have ordered a scrap piece of red/gold velvet to play with. I'm wondering if it was possibly screen printed or maybe embossed. I'll post pics of what I come up with.

Here is a photo I took of the curtains at the Warner Brothers Studio outside London. The pattern looks gold to me rather than silver.
I look forward to seeing you make the curtains.

Hello! For the curtains, there is a website called Spoonflower that makes custom fabric. If you uploaded your design to Spoonflower, they could print it for you on almost any type of fabric- even velvet! I hope this helps!

Looking at the original, the pattern does not seem to repeat. This makes me think the curtains are hand-stamped rather than manufactured. Anyway, here are some photos of my scrap of silk red/gold velvet using several types of stamps. The flash shows the gold "halo" in the fabric as in the original. The darker red pic is without the flash. The cookie cutter seems the best, making fine lines like original drawings.

At this point, I am thinking they used something like batik stamps, especially when you look at the elephant & deer patterns in the original.
Something like this: ONE LEFT Elephant Handmade Indonesian Copper Tjap: artisticartifacts.com

Attachments

• DSC00881.JPG
    DSC00881.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 92
  • DSC00871.JPG
    DSC00871.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 78
  • DSC00880.JPG
    DSC00880.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 94
  • DSC00893.JPG
    DSC00893.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion of Spoonflower. I think they only print on white velvet, though.

I added a small screen print pattern I had to my sample fabric. They might have used several larger screen prints, each containing quiet a few designs, to make the detailed animals and give the appearance of being random.

Attachments

• DSC00901.JPG
    DSC00901.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 86
Last edited:
I made a small screen print pattern & tested it on this silk velvet. I think the original is a silk screen rather than embroidery.

Since the silk fabric is $50 per yard, I've ordered some cheaper red polyester velvet to see how that looks.

Attachments

• DSC00914.JPG
    DSC00914.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 83
  • DSC00910.JPG
    DSC00910.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 82
Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back