Professor Horace Slughorn costume

EnfantDeGuerre

As I get older I am starting to think about the costumes that have been worn by older actors in some of our favourite movies. One that not a lot of people seem to have cosplayed is Professor Horace Slughorn from the Harry Potter movies. I know that Harry Potter is an old series now, but I, and my cosplay buddies, are still interested in the Potter movies. What I would like to do is specifically the version of Slughorn in the picture below, trying to get as close to it as possible. I've had a look around for a fabric which is close to the glen check tweed that Slughorn is wearing but have been able to find anything like it so I am thinking about printing it onto a heavy cotton twill or something.

As a first step, I have tried to work out the pattern for the tweed. I think I have got pretty close and have come up with this 60 x 60 thread repeating pattern of three colours. If I can get the right fabric the rest of the costume should be fairly easy - a beaten up mortaboard, a striped shirt, a bow tie, a double Albert fob chain and a wand and that is just about all there is to it.

Slug 1.png

Here is the pattern I've created for printing the fabric above.

Screen Shot 2022-04-24 at 8.31.59 pm.png

... and what it looks like when uploaded to a textile printing website.

Screen Shot 2022-04-24 at 9.25.11 pm.png

I would be happy to hear other members opinions. I'd particularly like to know if anyone has any experience in getting tweed patterns woven. Is there anyone who does it? What sort of cost would one be looking at?

Last edited:
I've been trying to work out what the fabric was called that Slughorn's academic robe is made of and it turns out that it is most likely a furnishing fabric known as Moire Silk or Watered Silk or something similar. Watered Silk is made by crushing silk, however, a close up of Slughorn's robe looks like it is some sort of jacquard so that is what I am going to be looking for.

costume_selection__slughorn_by_skarkdahn-d533b0n.jpeg

harry potter actors cast horace slughorn jim broadbent_www.wallpaperhi.com_55.jpg

Here is a sample of a moire furnishing fabric which I found online which should fit the bill if I can find it in chocolate brown.

Moire Furnishing Fabric.jpeg

I may be able to help you with that. How many yards would you need?
Awesome! I assume you are talking about the moire fabric.

I figure that I would need about two metres for the front and and two metres for the back (depending on how wide the fabric is) and given the length of the sleeves and the fact that they are cartridge pleated at the shoulder I would probably need another two metres for each of them. So I guess 8m to be on the safe side.

I have created a more accurate Glencheck pattern for Slughorn's suit and I am finally happy with it. I can't afford to have it woven of course - way too expensive - but I figure I can get it printed onto a heavy linen or cotton with Spoonflower. This is what the pattern would look like when applied to a pillow on the Spoonflower site.
Screen Shot 2022-04-30 at 8.10.40 am.png

5700FF84-DACD-413B-BEF1-36DB0FB1881C.jpeg
I finally received the latest sample of the pattern I’ve been developing for Slughorn’s tweed suit. On the left is the first iteration on right is the new one (and final I think). To give it the right weight and drape I am going to use a fusible woven interfacing on the back which I have already done to this test price on the right. It will never feel like woollen tweed but from a distance and even fairly close it pretty much looks like it. Zoom in to see how much the material on the right looks like tweed.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back