Harry Potter giant chesspiece

Nwerke

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
On Monday we stumbled over this piece on display in a shopping mall. Thought some might be interested, so I shot some quick snaps with my tablet (only cam I had on me - sorry for the quality).

Last edited:
I see 'em now!

Nice to see these pieces elsewhere in the world.
I got some pics of the chess pieces (plus about 300 pics of other stuff!!) when I went to the Harry Potter Studio Tour in London this year

579301_10150919796743608_1998031012_n.jpg

577093_10150919797028608_26165592_n.jpg

I think the one you saw must be the one that Ron sits on (as there is no rider).

Last edited:
Few more...I've got about this many again, won't bore you with the lot but if anyone needs ref for this piece please feel free to hit me up.

Nobby! Awesome! Please post some more by all means! I'm fascinated with these props - great design and execution on these. If only someone would do them justice as a practical chess set; I know there's a decent commercial one but something a bit bigger and more faithful would be amazing.

This was in Singapore; the travelling exhibit was nearby at a museum. Sad/stupid thing was that as usual all photography was banned; they had a pawn and I think a rook on display in the show itself but I didn't dare risk any snaps there. But no such restrictions at Leavesden other than flash, is that right? That settles it, I'm going...

Last edited:
There were no photographic restrictions at Leavesden at all! It was bloody brilliant!
When I get home I'll post a link to the whole album if you're interested.

Yes please, Nobby! VERY much so - thanks! :)

Roland, the prop was only about ten feet high, or a little under - probably not as big as it looks. The passers-by were mostly, ah, not terribly tall. :)

PotionMistress, the finish was *very* good and could easily have been taken for real bronze at a slight distance. But I would expect for practicality and cost considerations this would almost certainly be moulded fibreglass as usual, laminated in moulds taken from clay sculptures. Just a guess, but that's the norm.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back