Han Solo ANH Hero DL-44 Heavy Blaster ***COMPLETED PICS ON PG. 4***

I'd never tried my hand at making Han's blaster before, despite it being one of my favorite props of all time. I never had any money in the past, so I couldn't afford Blast-Tech's replicas or parts, let alone the Master Replica releases. The sad part is now that I have a little extra cash, parts for replicas are nowhere to be found! After reading through Lichtbringer and Deadbolt's threads on the ANH Hero, I decided to give it a shot using no other tools but my Dremel, hacksaw and file set. This is only my second time making a metal prop, so I was a bit nervous.

First things first...there was no way I could source an actual C96 or an MGC, so of course I settled on a Denix. But the Denix needed a little work. Using pics of Lichtbringer's MGC, I started hacking away at my Denix in an attempt to make it look as accurate as possible.

100_7118.jpg

The bolt nub under the hammer was the first to go. I was careful to set the bolt first with a hammer so it wouldn't fly up at me if I Dremeled too deeply. The hammer itself was also reshaped. I'm thinking of scribing in lines as to match the safety on the MGC, but I don't think I have a steady enough hand.

100_7116.jpg

The Denix logo was sanded flush with my Dremel and then some 220 grit sandpaper. A lot of my time was spent just sanding down unslightly seams, especially on the Denix's sight.

100_7134.jpg

I popped the pin out of the Denix's sight so I could grind it down. The gap exposing the pin will be filled with JB Weld and smoothed out. I decided that after painting/bluing, I'm going to JB Weld the sight to the receiver so it doesn't flop around.

100_7144.jpg

I cut down the sights original pin and then rounded the ends. I used a tiny round drilling bit on my Dremel to make that "nipple" on the end of the pin. I used a conical carving bit to give the sight pin's hole a little bevel.

100_7136.jpg

The Denix barrel was cut down and I used my flat file to sand the barrel and the receiver flush to where the bull barrel attaches.

100_7140.jpg

The bull barrel was made out of a 5-inch piece of steel pipe and I added the chamfered edge with my flat file. I need to put a bit more work into this section so the chamfered edge meets the lines of the receiver more to my liking.

100_7145.jpg

The most difficult part of converting a Denix is this little nub where the lower is screwed into the receiver. I sanded the nub down as much as possible and then switched out the original screw with a flat-headed one. I saw a post where kpax had mentioned how he was able to get rid of the nub by "melting" it down, but I've yet to ask him for more details. Still, since I was able to sand down the nub substantially, I was able to start laying in the recess underneath the receiver as well as the flat, tapered section of the bull barrel.

100_7147_00.jpg

After seeing a thread that abumonkey started on making his own flash hider from a hose nozzle, paint roller handle and furniture leg for the cone, I started digging around the house for similar parts. Currently, I have only the cone section of the flash hider, which is a cut down paint roller handle. The current grill is from Blast-Tech, one of the only pieces John still had available.

100_7152.jpg

I cut down the bull barrel and the cone section of the flash hider to the proper length. I used a bit of electrical tape to stand in for the mounting section of the flash hider just so I could make sure my proportions were correct. The cut sections of grill were sanded down to match the cut sections of the actual prop more accurately, despite the fact that the grill itself is inaccurate.

And that's where I'm at right now. I bought a set of scope rings that are very similar to the scope rings on the Hero, but I have to fabricate the scope mount myself. I ordered a set of wood grips from Sarco, but two days after my order was accepted, they told me they were actually sold out. Tonight, I'm going to go to work on the cone section of the flash hider, sanding down the threads on the inside of the cone and drilling holes.

Thanks for checking out my build and I'll post more pics as they come.

-Jonaas

Last edited:
Re: My DL-44 ANH Hero from a Denix Mauser

You´re on a good way, i love the way you managed the bullbarrel with only some handtools. :thumbsup

If i may ask, from which country you are? The "Denix-Logo" you filed away is in fact no Denix Logo, it´s a mark given from the German BKA (sort of federal police like FBI and/or BATF) that this is a replica and allowed to own without a real weapons permission - the MGC has something similar under it´s mag-bottomplate, but not that prominent. Deleting it MAY cause problems, having it may help getting no problems - depending on how rigid your local gun-laws are it might help that it is approved deco, even if from a different country.

Is it just the angle of the pic, or is you barrel showing down? If it isn´t fastened yet, you might have a eye on that when glueing.

All left to say: "Keep up the good work". :)

Thanks for the kind words and advice, Lichtbringer! The logo I sanded off was a diamond on the left side of the gun. I'm from the US, so I hope I don't get into any trouble about it.

The barrel isn't sloping down, but it's a sort of optical illusion that flattening the underside of the bull barrel is causing. It's still unfastened, so I'm hoping to correct everything in time.

Updates:

100_7158.jpg

I drilled out all 48 holes in the flash hider in a five-step process that involved measuring, marking, pilot hole-drilling, drilling, then cleaning all 48 holes with an Xacto knife and 220 grit sandpaper. This took TWO HOURS.

100_7161.jpg

I started modding the scope rings I bought at Walmart. This is by no means the final scope mount or the scope...I just threw the rings onto a piece of PVC pipe and electrical taped it onto a strip of balsa wood because I wanted to visualize the gun. I'm about to put in an order to Corellian Exports for a resin scope.

100_7162.jpg

Here's where the gun stands now. Next steps...source/fabricate objects to complete the flash hider and start fabricating the scope mount using aluminum bar, copper pipe, Apoxie Sculpt and JB Weld. Thanks for following!

-Jonaas

Great thread! Just goes to show what you can do with a little hard work!

Sean

Nice work! You'd hardly know it was a Denix. ;)
And great job on the Bull Barrel too!

Looking forward to seeing it's progress. Should make for a nice replica! :thumbsup

-Carson

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. After a trip to the local antique store, I found a great salt shaker that I can use to replace the plastic conical section of my flash hider. Of course, drilling all those holes won't be fun.

Some more progress. I was stuck at my lady's house without my tools so I took a trip to Lowe's and bought a junior hacksaw for 3 bucks. I used the saw and an old rasp her dad left at her place to roughly cut the salt shaker for the flash hider and the copper pipe for the scope mount. Once I got home, a couple hours with my Dremel gave me this:

100_7165.jpg

A metal flash hider! I'm so much happier with this than the plastic one I had before, especially since THIS cone seems to fit the profile of the Hero's cone so much better.

100_7166.jpg

After a chance trip to the local dollar store, I found what I'm going to use for the ribbed section of the flash hider: A cap from a bottle of nail polish remover. For the knurled end of the flash hider, I'm torn between using a garden hose adapter or the twist-knob from a glue stick.

100_7173.jpg

Here's the very start of my scope mount. It's copper pipe cut lengthwise in half JB Welded to the cut-down lower sections of some Weaver scope rings and then covered with a healthy amount of Apoxie Sculpt to fill the gaps.

100_7169.jpg

The inside isn't as rough as the outside but it still needs work. This piece still needs a lotta smoothing and shaping before I attach the square "mount" section of the scope mount (which I'll be cutting and shaping out of a length of 1/8" aluminum bar).

100_7172.jpg

I'm still toying with carving out a new grill section out of this plumbing nipple. It seems to fit the newly discovered profile of the grill section much more accurately than the Blast-Tech grill I currently have.

Time for a break! Thanks for looking, guys!

-Jonaas

Last edited:

Just a small update before I head out to Disneyland today. I plan on riding the new Star Tours several times...you know, for "research." :p

100_7178.jpg

Though I still need to finesse a few burrs and nicks that I'm not happy about, the scope mount cradle is essentially done. I may have to make a few more adjustments once I receive my Correllian Exports scope, but this is pretty much the final piece.

100_7182.jpg

I roughly sketched out what is going to be the main body of the scope mount out of a strip of 1/8" aluminum bar. I realized that this sheet was too thin for my liking, so I'm going to JB Weld two sections of it together before cutting and shaping the final piece.

That's it for now, folks. I hope you all have a great day!

-Jonaas

Very nice!

Can be the pics, but it seems like you went with a 1" mount while the O.D. of a H&W scope is smaller than a SP or Compac. And don´t make the visible section of the bull barrel too short. Do an overlay to the actual prop...should be a tad longer IMHO.

Can check the size of the spacers on my MR ANH EE if you want

Markus

Yeah, the scope rings are about an inch in diameter. When I get my Hensoldt cast, I'll probably have to pad the insides a bit so it'll fit perfectly.

As for the bull barrel, nothing has been secured yet...I just sort stuck it on and friction fit it so I could get a feel for the look. I'm trying to figure out how to finish my flash mount and I left much of the original barrel untouched so I'd have more breathing room.

If it's not a problem, can you check out the diameter/thickness of the MR spacers for me? I'd really appreciate it, Markus. Thanks in advance!

-Jonaas

I have a couple days off work so I wanted to put in as much work as I could on the blaster. The last evening was spent turning this...
100_7237.jpg

Into this...
100_7251.jpg

The scope mount is nowhere near complete, but creating the mount section took nearly 3 hours of sawing and sanding. I have to head to Lowe's to pick up a sanding bit for my Dremel that'll give the inner hole of the mount the roundness I'm looking for. I've yet to attach the mount to the cradle...I need to run a few tests to find the best method that'll give the scope mount the strength and support I desire. Even though it's just going to hold a resin scope, I want it to be nice and sturdy.

100_7247.jpg

And just for gits and shiggles, here's a pic of everything put together so far. I'd originally thought that the scope mount would be the most difficult piece to construct, but now I realize that it's the flash hider...I just can't source a part to stand in for the third, bullet-knurled section of the flash hider.

Well, off to bed. I bet I'll be dreaming of metal shavings all night.

-Jonaas

Didn´t forget you...just don´t have the time right now :unsure

I´ll get you the measurements... there are some vinyl washers that´d do the job perfectly IIRC

Markus

Nice looking, i appreciate your dedication to this blaster - to make all these things look so good, with just some handtools. :thumbsup

I measured my spacers - i made them 21mm dia to 3,5mm thick. (measured with a ruler only, in my dark cinema, but should be close).

What dia has your bullbarel?

...I measured my spacers - i made them 21mm dia to 3,5mm thick. (measured with a ruler only, in my dark cinema, but should be close)...

Sounds good.
You can trust Lichtbringers "guesses" :thumbsup

Markus

@Lichtbringer: Thank you again, sir. But honestly, if I had the your tools, I'd DEFINITELY be making the exactly the same way you did. I mean, for God's sakes, it took me 4-minutes to drill a single, 1/4" hole!

I made the bull barrel out of 3/4" pipe. Just by eyeballing it, it seemed to match the dimensions of my receiver the best.

@Markus: Not a problem, friend! That's what's great about The RPF - there's ALWAYS someone around to give you a hand.

@Lichtbringer: Thank you again, sir. But honestly, if I had the your tools, I'd DEFINITELY be making the exactly the same way you did. I mean, for God's sakes, it took me 4-minutes to drill a single, 1/4" hole!

And THAT, my dear Sir, is the dedication i meant, that´s the reason why your efforts should be praised higher than mine,or than the peoples who put prefabbed parts together. You work much harder for your dreamblaster.

I made the bull barrel out of 3/4" pipe. Just by eyeballing it, it seemed to match the dimensions of my receiver the best.

The outer dia im mm, please - i´m in Germany. :love

Our copper-tubes are 15, 18, 22, ..... mm OUTER dia, but our threaded Steeltubes are 1/2", 3/4", 1", 5/4", .... INNER dia. And i have no idea whats the outer dia of them. :lol

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back