Han Solo ANH Blaster From RIA, Prev on Pawn Stars

Well, yes; there's been instances when there was just one hero gun on set (Blade Runner anyone?) The fact that the gunsmith didn't have a second one was very simple: too complicated ($$$$) and probably not enough time to build another one anyway.
I'm not a gunsmith by any length or experience, but, seeing the transformations these Mausers went through and comparing them to the BR Blaster...I think I can say that it was, on a scale of 1 to 10...a 7. Tell me if I'm wrong; again: I'm no expert in gunsmithing. ;)

To add to the "mystery" is the fact that Carl doesn't want to talk to anyone...he's keeping "secrets" with him (and to his grave probably). I worked, for 10 years in Europe and Canada in the restoration of Antique furniture (private ownership/museums) and remember Artists and Artisans not wanting to disclose their secrets ways of doing things for the next generation of restorers. Carl is one of them; he will never speak about what he knows because information is power...the only power he has in his life, keeping those fans and philistines drooling for his knowledge.:rolleyes:

That fact is "Mana from the sky" for people wanting to keep the narrative alive (and the deception), i.e.: this gun is one of the Hero built for the movie! Since no detailed paper trail was kept in details, it adds to the whole story of not knowing for sure.

Bapty sourced many weapons for many productions...why not sell this Mauser as the "Han Solo Blaster", the "Naked Runner" gun, the (put your movie title here:oops:) I'm sure it would've gone for more than $1.3 mil.:lol:

Also since I created this replica PS/RIA blaster I’ve gotten some interest from someone who apparently works at Bapty. He showed me a pic of this PS blaster he took himself so I believe he’s legit. Says he’s handled it a bunch of times. I’ve never seen this pic myself before anyhow. Hes asked me not share it. But I understand that these statements don’t mean much without anything to back it up. So I won’t share the full pic but here it is with most of it blacked out. You can clearly see enough to know it’s the auction blaster. It’s also after the PS filming where the FH has been repainted (another little insight into Tony knowing exactly what he was doing don’t you think?).
303041AB-3D9A-4D36-9A6A-A9C0CAB7324C.jpeg

He wants my stl file as they apparently really miss have this blaster around. So I’ve offered him an honest trade. I won’t give him my files (thats already backfired on me big time) but I did offer him a print of my replica in exchange for some info (clear pictures specifically from the 70s) of the Star Wars props babty built. If they have such a thing on record that is. So far nothing..

He’s shared other pics of Baptys work space as well and they actually 3d print a lot of their props in resin these days which is interesting and makes sense obviously..

My feelings exactly. Roger's memory is amazing. I can only hope I am that sharp when I'm his age. And, you are very welcome! I have been amazingly (and miraculously, I believe) privileged to have the access that I have been given. I can't account for it at all. But, since Roger's taken a liking to me (I provided the blaster sample for his movie) I want to get as much info from him as possible for the preservation of the history of this prop, which is to benefit everyone who is interested. His memory won't be 100% correct (is anyone's?), and he DOES have a talent for self-promotion, but he is "the horse's mouth" (or one of them, anyway).
Roger is a friend of mine and I couldn't agree more with you on the points you've made.

Although I have found in my many years of working for Lucasfilm that so much of the legacy information regarding many of the early props and costumes has been forgotten and lost, Roger's a good man and I know that he will be keen to assist as much as he can.

M

Roger is a friend of mine and I couldn't agree more with you on the points you've made.

Although I have found in my many years of working for Lucasfilm that so much of the legacy information regarding many of the early props and costumes has been forgotten and lost, Roger's a good man and I know that he will be keen to assist as much as he can.

M
Thank you for this, I look forward to it as well.

I’m assuming with the amount of people involved in production, and with props getting re-used and repurposed, a lot can get lost to time.

Heck I am starting to think that infamous stunt saber that’s been getting attention in the archives was a backup in ANH after hand-carving and messing up my replica 6 times to the point I see differences now. Anything is possible…

I would love to know who used the dovetail portion of the mount and on what bahahaha …not seriously, I’m just dealing with the grief of the original one of a kind mount being in pieces

Perhaps I haven't been clear. Carl would rather spit on you than write you an LOA.
I don’t doubt that’s what you were told. It’s just super strange. I mean, according to Tony, Carl was the one who “proudly” discovered the original scope, and then later the mount remnants. And Carl went to the trouble of “restoring” the gun for Tony… yet he was unwilling to write all of two sentences acknowledging Tony’s account?

Maybe that really is just his wonky personality, but it raises a flag – especially where Tony never actually stated in his letter that Carl ever confirmed the C96’s authenticity (as he specified regarding the scope and mount remains). It’s odd for that to have been left ambiguous on a six-figure listing.

Agreed. However, we have to consider the small possibility that he is right - no one can prove he isn't.
I’ve been careful about that ever since I joined this thread; it absolutely remains a technical possibility. But that holds very little meaning in and of itself.

All we have is Tony’s word on any of this. We don’t know for a fact that the C96 was discovered in the condition he described. We can’t verify the claimed witness marks, since Carl either welded or brazed over them. And as chubsANDdoggers revealed via overlays, the lug positioning on the PS/RIA gun differs from the known hero, so at most, Tony found an indication of a former right-side mount – not necessarily a unique ANH mount.

And therefore it's really not inconceivable that there really was only one Hero DL-44 during the filming of Star Wars.
It’s also worth noting that even if confirmation comes to light that there were indeed multiples, that won’t automatically authenticate the PS/RIA gun.

Ya a clear picture (serial number or other identifying marks) of it within the ‘77 SW production days or some sort of written log is about all one can use to verify any such claim of its use. Highly doubt such a thing exists. But without it we have to take Tony for his word.. and as the great Bruce Lee once said “believe nothing that you hear and half of what you see..”

Just stumbled across this:

One of RIA's blaster listing photos was recently a top-4 nominee for an inaugural gun industry "Photo of the Year" award!
[At least it didn't win.]

If only they'd added a "Mockingly-Edited-Photo of the Year" category... we really could've shined.

Despite the controversy, and unethical nonsense it isn’t a completely uncool photo…

Attachments

• D9237A37-0EFE-4FA1-B509-44929C8490C0.jpeg
    D9237A37-0EFE-4FA1-B509-44929C8490C0.jpeg
    400 KB · Views: 106
Despite the controversy, and unethical nonsense it isn’t a completely uncool photo…

That's fair; I'm just looking at it from the standpoint of the principle of the thing. RIA doesn't need more feathers in their cap derived from this sale.

You know; one thought that's come to mind is actually the flash hider on the Rock Island Dl-44. Though I can't find it right now, I think I vaguely recall Todd mentioning that the mount's lower half was quickly fabbed using a Master Replicas mount as reference (they supposedly had one in the office), which I myself pointed out quite heavily resembled MR's first Limited Edition (the one based off a Denix, of all things).

Blaster_Closeup__22521.jpg

Though, in looking at the flash hider they used, I almost can't help but think that the flash hider was ALSO simply taken right off the MR's Limited Edition. The more I compare the wonky Rock Island Flash Hider to MR's first flash hider, the two really resemble each other quite heavily. After all; we KNOW that Bapty had a MR Limited Edition just based off this... So who's to say that they just didn't take the flash hider off of it; mod it slightly by bead blasting it and rebluing it, and then saying it's an original when it's clearly not?

Especially if they didn't have a real one anymore; as they themselves admit that the originals are very rare.

Blaster_Right_Side__25002.jpg

025E6321-3474-41D7-BDEF-8ED802722510.jpeg

The bizarre shape of the scallops is almost identical in my opinion...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back