Halloween Movie Recommendations

E.T. :p

While there is nothing really scary about it, it takes place on and leading up to Halloween
He even is initially lured out by the Reeses Pieces and promise of candy

In fact, it probably has more actual Halloween themes than any horror movie

On Halloween at some point I try to watch The Mummy (1932) and The Masque of The Red Death (1964). I love horror movies anytime of year though, here's some of my other favorites:

The Wicker Man (1973)
Suspiria (1977)
House of Wax (1953)
The Evil Dead (1981)
The Omen (1976)
The Wolf Man (1941)
Jacob's Ladder (1990)
The Howling (1981)

The Midnight Hour

Its an obscure television movie but its got so much heart and some great 80s music. And Vampire Levar Burton!

Here are a bunch that I've discovered and watch regularly.

A Fiend Without a Face (1958)
It! The Terror from Beyond Space (1958)
Psycho (1960)
The Innocents (1961)
The Bird With The Crystal Plumage (1970)
Horror Express (1972)
The Exorcist (1973)
The Legend of Hell House (1973)
Theatre of Blood (1973)
Black Christmas (1974)
Phantom of the Paradise (1974)
Jaws (1975)
Satan's Triangle (1975)
Trilogy Of Terror (1975)
Carrie (1976)
The Omen (1976)
Rituals (1977)
Alien (1979)
Prophecy (1979)
The Changeling (1980)
The Fog (1980)
The Shining (1980)
Creepshow (1982)
The Entity (1982)
Poltergeist (1982)
The Thing (1982)
The Hunger (1983)
Near Dark (1987)
The Blair Witch Project (1999)
What Lies Beneath (2000)
What We Do in the Shadows (2014)
Hereditary (2018)

For nostalgic reasons, I’ll be watching House of Frankenstein 1997 that aired on NBC.

0AC0C42D-3894-491D-8055-421EFDB0EB8C.jpeg

I wish I could find a collection of the old Vincent Price Poe movies. And Dr Phibes and House of Wax.
This is a re-release but it's great. I have volumes 1-3 and highly recommend them. Was very excited when they came out as I've been a huge Vincent Price fan since I was a kid. It's not all of the Price/Poe films but its still a great collection. Shout Factory/Scream Factory release a lot of cult/obscure films and have an online store on their site. Volume two is sold out but ebay has some available for highly inflated prices.

This is a re-release but it's great. I have volumes 1-3 and highly recommend them. Was very excited when they came out as I've been a huge Vincent Price fan since I was a kid. It's not all of the Price/Poe films but its still a great collection. Shout Factory/Scream Factory release a lot of cult/obscure films and have an online store on their site. Volume two is sold out but ebay has some available for highly inflated prices.

Cool! Thanks, man!

So far we've christened our big screen with:
Scary Movie
The Thing
Young Frankenstein

The last one was especially fun to see on a large screen, since our Halloween party this year is themed Beetlejuice/ Young Frankenstein. My wife and I will be dressed as The Creature and Elizabeth, my daughter and her boyfriend were going to do Beetlejuice costumes but after he saw YF for the first time they decided to go with Frederick and Inga.

Watched the original Frankenstein a few nights ago, I didn't think it was possible but it made me love Young Frankenstein even more! :cool:
Last night was American Psycho, tonight is Halloween (original) and tomorrow will probably be Bride of Frankenstein.

I just watched The Shining for the first time. I've never read the book either so other than the "Here's Johnny!" thing, I went into it totally blind. Is this just one of those Kubrick things you interpret anyway you want, or is this movie actually supposed to make any sense?

Was Jack the ghost of the original caretaker or was he possessed by him or what?
Was the hotel just haunted? What was with Jack seeing all those people?
What was the deal with Danny and Tony? I was thinking that the kid was going to end up being the killer yet that whole plotline went absolutely nowhere. Danny gets all Red Rummy and then just turns back into a scared kid.
What did Scatman Crothers have to do with anything? His plotline went nowhere also.

For decades now I have always heard what a great movie this is. I certainly won't care to ever sit down and watch it again. Please, tell me what I am missing.

I just watched The Shining for the first time. I've never read the book either so other than the "Here's Johnny!" thing, I went into it totally blind. Is this just one of those Kubrick things you interpret anyway you want, or is this movie actually supposed to make any sense?

Was Jack the ghost of the original caretaker or was he possessed by him or what?
Was the hotel just haunted? What was with Jack seeing all those people?
What was the deal with Danny and Tony? I was thinking that the kid was going to end up being the killer yet that whole plotline went absolutely nowhere. Danny gets all Red Rummy and then just turns back into a scared kid.
What did Scatman Crothers have to do with anything? His plotline went nowhere also.

For decades now I have always heard what a great movie this is. I certainly won't care to ever sit down and watch it again. Please, tell me what I am missing.
I enjoy The Shining, but I don't get it, either, honestly.

I am currently running all the “Kolchak, The Night Stalker” series episodes that are now on Blu-ray.

Man they look beautiful like the day they first aired

I really like the cinematography, music, sets and performances of The Shining but yeah .. it has some problems with story telling.

Original Halloween: I don't know why this is held in high regard (apart from nostalgia). I appreciate the music and Donald Pleasense performance but apart from that... it's a dumpster fire of a script.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back