Halloween (2018) (Post-release)

What did you think of Halloween?

• Total voters
In this movie he just wanders around, kills random people at his own leisure and pleasure, doesn't seek her out at all...instead of the stupid twist with the doctor it would have been a really interesting turn to see that Laurie spent her entire life prepping for Michael's return and then it just turns out that there was no connection, no special purpose or desire, she was simply picked at random back in 78 and Michael might not even remember her. Done in a way that would not have taken a climactic ending away, just would have put it in a different light could have been really neat methinks..

As much as I like the sequels (up until the sixth one), this is what irked me the most; the ham-fisted, familial connection that was completely unnecessary. If there's any connection at all, it's that there may be a vague recognition, a tick that sets off Michael, where he kills/targets babysitters through to some loose connection with his sister originally babysitting him. But even by the film's own admission, no one knows what makes Michael single out a person and picks them as his prey. He just does. Your idea here is very much in line with what I think.

However, for sequels of him just following different people, the problem would be just that. It'd just be the same film as the first but with a girl with a different hair style. I think the only way it would work is if it all came to a head some kinda way but, again, the problem is Michael himself. He's a force of nature in the shape of a man. He can't be contained, caught, or killed. He just keeps going on and, unless the series ends, I think we're in for some more hum-drum sequels.

- - - Updated - - -

...Case to point: incidents not generating consequence. The bus crash resulted in at least four murders and a missing psycho killer on the loose, but the cops aren’t bothered and it doesn’t get a mention on the news. Later there is the quadruple killing at the garage, by the same killer and the cops attitude is to ignore it again. No major manhunt, other than an old cop crusising alone around the streets, no news alert, everyone out enjoying Halloween on the street. Real world would have seen a major manhunt with everybody alerted. .

I think this would've made the movie a lot more exciting and suspenseful had everyone been on the lookout for him and shut up in their homes. Cops combing the streets with Laurie on a vigilante crusade to track him down, but Michael still eludes capture and still stalks and preys on people throughout Haddonfield.

However, for sequels of him just following different people, the problem would be just that. It'd just be the same film as the first but with a girl with a different hair style. I think the only way it would work is if it all came to a head some kinda way but, again, the problem is Michael himself. He's a force of nature in the shape of a man. He can't be contained, caught, or killed. He just keeps going on and, unless the series ends, I think we're in for some more hum-drum sequels.

Well that's the point, isn't it, it's not a story that needs to be dragged out and extended ad nauseam. I've seen all sequels multiple times, not too keen on either of them, it's more like a strange attraction but there really was nothing to tell after H1. H20 had a core story and would have been a great bookend (as much as I disliked H2) but Akkad wanted to keep the till ringing because frankly all he did during his career is redo Carpenter's, Yablans' and Hills' movie. This is what's gonna happen to this one too.
If we ignore everything after H1 and just look at it as a 2 part story this is a decent conclusion, but the sequel is obviously already in the works. Meh...
Thinking of it BTW again, the movie does have the overall theme of what I just imagined, that's exactly why they had to have the twist with the doctor. Otherwise Michael would not have gotten together with Laurie again on his own, it's just not really explicit. I have a feeling that there was some key scene that landed on the cutting room floor. Something that's like the inverse of the scene in H20 when they face off through the door window.

Neither The first does not need a sequel or continuation
Oh I totally agree with that, 100%. I have a habit of ignoring franchise entries or even entire franchises (most of ANOES, SW prequels, to a degree Terminator, etc). That's pretty much what I did with Halloween too. I'm still not sure if there will be a reason to have any other Halloween disc on my shelf than the original.
But since there are two similar films with similar intentions in the franchise I thought it'd be fair to compare them.

I don’t remember H 20 so there goes that and I already forgot how bad 2018 was so there goes that as well.... :lol

I don’t remember H 20 so there goes that and I already forgot how bad 2018 was so there goes that as well.... :lol
I saw H20 when I was still in high-school, so it's been a good 18 years or so ago. I still remember a couple of scenes that were really good, like the two of them facing off through the door, Laurie turning back with the axe and starting to search for him or when Michael is flipping the tables in the canteen. Actually that's probably the thing I missed in the new movie, there aren't really any chase scenes, the only one is when Michael starts to chase Allyson, but that's quickly cut short when the police finds her.
My favorite Halloween movie is still 3, Season of the Witch. :)

That's probably a rare opinion, but I get it. It's one of those bat**** crazy creep movies.

My favorite Halloween movie is still 3, Season of the Witch. :)

It's a very effective thriller when viewed as a stand alone, I like it too. H2 may be inferior to the original but it too is an effective thriller, and much better than the usual schlock of the time. Everything that came after is crap.

It's a very effective thriller when viewed as a stand alone, I like it too. H2 may be inferior to the original but it too is an effective thriller, and much better than the usual schlock of the time. Everything that came after is crap.

Mmm, I donno, I found H2 to be complete schlock pulp slasher. Loomis was acting like a retard, that Ben Tramer subplot was a joke, the kills were all like from F13 and the end with the blind Michael flailing awkwardly...then again, that's another one I saw when I was at high school, might be worth revisiting. I agree on H3, it's a cool little movie on its own and I love the soundtrack.

I watched it and thought it was okay. It wasn't as on par with the original, but certainly better than some of the other films in the franchise. I do like the fact that they attempted to take it old school a bit. Michael and Laurie were both the best parts of the film, as Michael seemed just as deadly as ever and Laurie certainly came off as someone with PTSD would after the events of the first film. As much as I would have loved Carpenter to write and direct, I was okay with him letting Green and McBride to the work, being a producer and the film scorer instead (and believe me the score he co-produced definitely is high caliber and just as interesting as the score for the first film).

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back