Halliwax's weird V3 theory

With new photographic evidence I am counting 6 stunts actually used

3 of those motorized

I can also say it looks like some were not finished and only painted.

I imagine like everything else time is at the essence and having 3 completed motor stunts was enough on their check list and made the rear unfinished just as off screen practice stunts

I think these were all painted at the same time during anh

ROTJ is a whole other ball game though... it wouldn’t surprise me if the stunts used in rotj got a touch up.. going by the resin cast...

I’m still almost positive 2 stunts were being used in the throne room..
Very good observations. Bizarre that an un-motorized stunt would get a golden neck and the V2 would get a brown one.

I think then the V3 as it is today, is a franken-saber of differently finished parts, some sanded, some not. Just like the Ranch saber.

Very good observations. Bizarre that an un-motorized stunt would get a golden neck and the V2 would get a brown one.

I think then the V3 as it is today, is a franken-saber of differently finished parts, some sanded, some not. Just like the Ranch saber.
Completely agree.. broke, then fixed

check out the table...

570B97E1-E798-46AB-BCAE-056BBAC675A3.jpeg
BE78CC17-CF3D-4FD8-8894-CF31A0217AAC.jpeg

Is it possible this ANH stunt saber originally had gaffers tape around a painted emitter? The right side of the emitter appears to have a vertical seam line. The color could be a match for black gaffers tape and if the tape were removed, it may also explain the paint weathering pattern we later see in the ESB dueling rehearsals with Hamill, Prowse, and Anderson.

08CDBCB8-690E-44E8-97A2-B0C73DE9B686.jpeg

Last edited:
It kind of looks like that, but the "seam line" could also be a loose thread from Obi's robe in the background, like the one below it. Look really similar if you imagine for a moment that the saber is not there...
1622641352852.png

This is an interesting theory.

I see that the seam-line for the cast saber runs up the lower neck and onto the emitter piece, so they're either un-cut or locked in the same position. So that would be weird to see a line like that somewhere else on the emitter.

I'm going to have to agree with V312, only because it's on the edge and that could be a trick of the light, I see a paint chip on the front face of the emitter side too

Looking closer I kind-of see the actual seam line continue under the emitter lip too.

v312, good eye. I see that area of the frayed robe at the windvane level. I spotted another at the emitter level.

thd9791, I agree that the silver spot on the emitter is probably a paint chip.

It's a shame we only have a handful of available photos to analyze.

Last edited:
wicked nice hilt! a starkiller gen1! very rare!
Thanks! I have a both a gen 1 and gen 2. I originally had the gen 1 as my V2, but then I bought a gen 2 from someone in a group on Facebook. I redid my V2 with the gen 2 and converted the gen 1 into this V3.

I do wish I had an emitter that I could remove the blade plug for my V3. Do we know anyone that makes such a thing?

Thanks! I have a both a gen 1 and gen 2. I originally had the gen 1 as my V2, but then I bought a gen 2 from someone in a group on Facebook. I redid my V2 with the gen 2 and converted the gen 1 into this V3.

I do wish I had an emitter that I could remove the blade plug for my V3. Do we know anyone that makes such a thing?

Starkiller made a "Builder's Kit" that did exactly that. It was meant to be an in-between of a V2/V3 so people could choose to build it out into either thing, but I thought it lent more heavily towards a V3 than a V2, but that's probably what you're wanting anyway.

There was a small run of V3 emitters not too long ago..

May want to put up a thread in the classified wanted section

do you have a drill press?

Kind of a hack job, but if you buy a cheap set of drill bits at harbor freight and bore it out with them

Kind of a hack job, but if you buy a cheap set of drill bits at harbor freight and bore it out with them
I debated about doing that. I have decent Titanium Drill Bit Set. I'm also debating if I just take my current emitter to my family's shop and throw the emitter on the lathe. I am barely an amateur at best on the lathe, but I figured I could mill out the emitter and maybe make a new blade plug myself. I am just apprehensive of doing all that work because if I mess up my current emitter, then I don't have a replacement/back up.

I have another wrench to throw in the machine. I went ahead and put a set screw in the windvane. (And yes a new paint job to be more like the warehouse)

(Does anyone know why an M4 tap would be almost as big as an M5? I got a little set of 3 metric taps from China and the "m4" is bigger than my standard m4 set screws, so i cant use it. I used an m5 instead but I think the v3's IS an M4 screw)

Anyway, I tightened it down....

and the emitter won't come off. It's not even rattling.

The pinched tang is also pushing the emitter stem against the wall of the saber, holding it in place. I bet it would slip with strikes and vibration, hence the gaff tape.

OR the emitter stem was cut off before Empire for whatever reason, leaving the emitter gaff taped, but that seems unlikely

There could be no screw in the V3, I know. I think I see a screw in that high res warehouse shot with mark and dave p. And I see gaff tape on the neck. The wired cast is great reference too. The screw could be covered in clay in the mold or on the other side of the cast.

Here my hilt right now :D

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back