Halliwax's weird V3 theory

Perhaps it's the Yuma?

I don't think so...

Halliwax yells at me every time I say I don't think this is the V2 or V3... well, I mean i see the V2's gaffers tape on the neck...

LUKE_ROTJ_STUNT_V?.jpg

The nipple/blade setup in that photo SethS does seem similar to the Yuma setup:

4eef795d8c80b7f47a1558e514bcc1e9.jpg

And the emitter was black at some point. But, the Yuma should be in ISYHCANL configuration by the time Endor shots were being filmed? Which means it would have a bare emitter as well so probably not.

I don't think so...

Halliwax yells at me every time I say I don't think this is the V2 or V3... well, I mean i see the V2's gaffers tape on the neck...

View attachment 1335624
I can see the tape, too. But couldn’t it be possible the saber in the image with the green blade is a different one than the one seen in the pic above? Crescent City was the last major Jedi shooting location, by the time they had the V2, the Yuma and the V3 available.

So I’m late to the party, this is the first time I’ve had a chance to catch

LOM brought this to my attention yesterday and I said, let’s have some fun and post it in the theory thread

This one through me for a loop.. BUT the weathering on the top ring looks to match the weathering on the gumbo pic

IMG_7075.jpg

I still believe this to be the V3. You can even see the paint on the emitter still, even vader passing the V3 on the cat walk.. eerrr wish I wasn’t on my phone right now, easier to send the pictures, anyway. That scene with the V3 with out the blade you can see there is still paint on the emitter

The throne room as well, it still has paint on the emitter, far more paint then the v2

At first I thought we had a brand new stunt

But if you look behind the green air brushing, and look at the emitter, the bottom of it, you can see the edge is chipped, just like the throne room duel

It is really dark still.. I don’t know if that’s lighting.. but my eyes see the v3 here

Again I could be totally wrong, but I certainly know it’s

Not the yuma
And
Not the v2

is that saber shopped in? neither of his hands are gripping it!

I live for this discussion... thanks for posting the B&W photo again, what weirds me out is that it seems the V3 has an emitter nipple/hole thats bigger than the collar on that blade.

That's pre-photoshop. That's when still images, if they weren't pulled from the final print of the film, had the blades air brushed on.

Just to muck things up here. I noticed a while ago that this saber has a 'kin great gash on the grenade section. It's historically been identified as both the V2 & V3. Clearly not either. Got little response last time I mentioned it.
(this is screen grab from Haliwax's video. H if you want me to remove, no problem.)

GashDup01.jpg

Last edited:
That's pre-photoshop. That's when still images, if they weren't pulled from the final print of the film, had the blades air brushed on.
ooh yea, good point - i meant "did someone recently put a picture of a replica in his empty hands that don't seem to be gripping a saber handle, just posing with the black hand open"

Just to muck things up here. I noticed a while ago that this saber has a 'kin great gash on the grenade section. It's historically been idetified as both the V2 & V3. Clearly not either. Got little response last time I mentioned it.
(this is screen grab from Haliwax's video. H if you want me to remove, no problem.)

View attachment 1335988
I remember this, I'm so glad you pointed this out. I think we can definitely say this is "one of the children" of that mold, and that it's thicker so probably not cleaned up a whole lot. (V2 seems to be smaller, radius wise) I would love to know how the tangs were secured..... I want to turn a saber into this practice stunt one day. I can do cores in pipes now, I don't know how they did it, but I drop a grub screw in the core and make sure it sits flush so the core can slide in..... are there little cores in the booster of thin-necks?

I am firmly convinced there are a number, possibly quite large, of sabers that were made that we only have a single reference for & possibly no ref. at all. And these likely significantly out number what we do know about. The warehouse OB1 & the death scene OB1 (see pic) are two examples besides the one just being discussed. The motorised graffy/s are lost. John Bunker, as an eye witness, says there were about 8 motorised stunts for ANH only 2 of which we know the whereabouts of. I struggle with the ethos that presses known examples onto instances with characteristics at odds with these. It is human nature, I know, that doesn't like just plain 'unidentified' but that is the only really honest answer.
I can do cores in pipes now, I don't know how they did it, but I drop a grub screw in the core and make sure it sits flush so the core can slide in..... are there little cores in the booster of thin-necks?
If we go with Poopapapaplaps's research of the cast hilt being sectional - with separate emitter- I'd go with the blade 'tang' passing to & secured in the grenade section with the emitter wedged/glued to the neck leaving a tang/rod projecting out the nipple. (additional grub screws fixing emitter to 'tang'.) Blade would be silp on type secured with grub screw/s.

Attachments

• obi_wan_saber-vi v2.jpg
    obi_wan_saber-vi v2.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
While I love tracking props through various productions and BTS material, in general, I agree. On set there always multiples of every prop. Multiples of multiples. I have no doubt there are various lightsabers-- be they detailed hero props, close-replica stunts, or even something as simple as the "pipe stunt" saber, used by production that we've never seen evidence of.

I am firmly convinced there are a number, possibly quite large, of sabers that were made that we only have a single reference for & possibly no ref. at all. And these likely significantly out number what we do know about. The warehouse OB1 & the death scene OB1 (see pic) are two examples besides the one just being discussed. The motorised graffy/s are lost. John Bunker, as an eye witness, says there were about 8 motorised stunts for ANH only 2 of which we know the whereabouts of. I struggle with the ethos that presses known examples onto instances with characteristics at odds with these. It is human nature, I know, that doesn't like just plain 'unidentified' but that is the only really honest answer.

If we go with Poopapapaplaps's research of the cast hilt being sectional - with separate emitter- I'd go with the blade 'tang' passing to & secured in the grenade section with the emitter wedged/glued to the neck leaving a tang/rod projecting out the nipple. (additional grub screws fixing emitter to 'tang'.) Blade would be silp on type secured with grub screw/s.

Agree with this assessment as well. There's been a nagging part of me that sees the Yuma in the Obi Death close-up, even though that doesn't match the timeline. I think Jon Bunker also stated that the department had 8 in total for Obi-wan, but didn't specify (and I'm sure can't recollect) that they were all made to be motorised. That's also not to mention if they were prepped at all to even be used. The fact that he had one raw cast to hand to Vadermania because they just chucked them into the bin after production wrapped, to me, gives credence to the idea. There's two known in existence to be screen-used (or used the most in general situations), while the rest were likely scrapped/recycled for something else, or people walked off with them after ANH in Bunker's instance.

For the OB1 fencing stunts, as far as I'm certain about, the tang/ds would've dropped into the clamp section for the motorised stunt. The V3 is a mystery but being it didn't need a motor, it's so much easier to just machine out as much as you need to get the pommel to fit than to bore half of it out and then account for a possibly-wonky d/s. I think this may be the case for the V3 and other "static" fencing stunts. If it true, the tang would drop further into the clamp section and into the booster area.

Last edited:
There is also a seam line running the length of these things, something to think about.

I guess I'm wondering (since we dont know) the strength of a drill stop ring at the end of the tang vs. a short core on the end of a tang - which would add maybe unnecessary weight

Is that a groove in the ring section? Or just paint?
Given the general paint wear to the whole thing & rings in particular I'd be most surprised if it was paint. If you go frame by frame it tracks like a gash.
I wonder if the groove might’ve been an early attempt to recreate the hales. Then gave up?
That crossed my mind too but that just seems too odd a thing. Then again it looks like a deep cut. Slip with an angle grinder ? who knows.

There is also a seam line running the length of these things, something to think about.

I guess I'm wondering (since we dont know) the strength of a drill stop ring at the end of the tang vs. a short core on the end of a tang - which would add maybe unnecessary weight

Second.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back