Halliwax's first GRAFLEX build

Halliwax

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
well gang, its about time i post about my little graflex build. first i have to thank all my friends who ive made threw this time on therpf. if it wasnt for Chaim(@Sym-cha), Andy (@mugatu), Tom (@thd9791) and Roy (@Roygilsing) this build wouldn't have happen. You guys have welcomed me with open arms and really helped with my questions and given me great tutorials on how to tackle this project, and I thank you for that!

i ended up scoring a replica graflex out of the junkyard section awhile back. i noticed that with this replica the bunny ears has a rivit and not a screw like other replicas and that was a selling point for me. the only down side is the bottom of the graflex replica has 2 holes drilled into it from the run. i figured the original owner drilled the holes in the wrong places and ended up getting rid of it to get a new one. later on i found this same replica on ebay! same box, same 2 holes drill in the bottom, and same red buttons!

the red buttons come in pieces, there is no spring in them, the run owner used crumbled up pieces of paper to make the button "functional" i will fix this in a few weeks, im just looking for old flash lights or old broken electronics i have sitting around the house where i can rip out there springs that hold the batteries in... anyway heres some photos of
my replica

labelHK.jpg

labelhkopen.jpg

graflex1.jpg

graflex2.jpg

graflex3.jpg

graflex4.jpg

heres the replica with gino grips, and one of toms old bus boards
graflex5.jpg

bottom%20graflex.jpg

i have clamped the replica together and placed Roys kobold ontop of the 2 hole, i can cover the 2 holes with the kobold and keep it in line with the clamp so im not longer wondered about the kobold not lining up with the clamp

I have been super busy with real world stuff, work, volunteer work, political campaigning. so i work roughly a hour or 2 a night on my models/replicas. the past couple of nights i started cracking away with the grips. i bought the same miter box you can see in toms (thd9791) build threads. the miter box works amazing, and i got it from walmart.com dirt cheap. other places have it for almost double the price, walmart at the time also included free shipping for me. heres a link to the miter box i used.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/24547386?...42560272&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=78881173472&veh=sem

you can find the same thing on ebay and other sites but when u add in shipping its more then what walmart sells it for. plus for some reason if it came in broken or what not walmart is 3 minutes from my house so i could return it.

speaking of walmart the other night my girl and i were shopping there and i can to pick up some car cleaning products, the isle beside it is home improvement section so i checked it out. i found this file set for dirt cheap and knew i needed smaller files to get into the 8mm cut outs of the t-tracks so i picked it up for 4 bucks!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ultra-Steel-Needle-File-Set-with-Case-6pc/17190609

i highly recommend these files, they were dirt cheap, came in a great case and work very well!! now on to come picture sharing

i dont have a work bench right now, but in the process of saving up for one, so right now im working on alittle table. heres what my work area consists of right now, kinda a joke BUT it works! ;)

tools.jpg

believe it or not but this black table sucks for light... i ended up bringing home some Azek from work, its white plastic trim boards we use on many of the homes we build. they never rot so its a great seller.. plus they are a bright white so it helps seeing the black t-tracks good

the "my little pony" pencil is great for marking the cut marks on the tracks. you can erase the pencil mark simply with your finger

cut.jpg

i ended up buying Roys ESB kit, which is a amazing kit! his grips are also amazing. i choose to use his grips over ginos because i like the shape better and also they cut very very smooth.

cuttape.jpg

alittle trick i use it blue painters tape. i cut the grips very slowly and afraid to cut the surface of the track, so the blue tape gives me alittle extra security plus once u hit the tape it makes a different sound, kinda like a alarm " WAKE UP DAN, TOO FAR!!!" luckily i havent activated that alarm yet! lol again i love this little miter box

minfile.jpg

once i cut all 6 tracks i broke out that little file and went to work, i love this dang little set, and for 4 bucks! if they dull too fast ill go buy another set, you cant beat it for the price. the only thing that bothers me in the color difference when filing.. i noticed if i attached the smallest file, and made circle motions while filing i can get the black color back. Tom also shared his trick on bringing them back to black and im going to attempt that

ttrack1.jpg

here you can really see the color change, below is the picture after the circle motions

perfect%20cut.jpg

my tracks all done
all6.jpg

progress is always slow with me because i dont have too much free time right now, and ive been working on a HUGE project for a long time now so that get most of my attention. these sabers are what i use to wait for other part runs to come threw, theres alittle sneak peak of the big project im on

centervent1.jpg

a special thanks to all my RPF friends who have helped me with the saber stuff, i really appreciate your help and look forward to seeing your threads everyday. take care everyone, craft on!

-danny

Yeah a Graflex build...and an ESB one...my waiting with this build will pay out. So I can gather all the information I need :thumbsup

Great looking Graflex so far. I have two of these red buttons, too. I screwed them in place with one of those glass eye springs underneath. These are really tough and the button isn't pushed too easy or too far inside.

Keep up with your progress and lots of pictures ;)

That's a beautiful graflex! Very nice work on those grips, cleanest I've seen yet lol I'll be following this with great interest

Hey Danny,
I'm glad I could have been of help. Great work on cutting those grooves in the T-tracks and good choice on which ones to use! [emoji6]

Roy

Super happy for you Dan. I know you've been waiting on this for a long time. Glad to see it all coming together.
Waiting to see more!

Ya know what I need, of course.... I need one of them there mini miter boxes!

Why in two Suns had I not thought of this before!?!! lol

Cheers Hal.

Danny,

As Tom and Roy mentioned, your grips look great. It's the best first-time grip cutting/filing I've ever seen. Don't ask Roy how many T Tracks I've ordered from him LOL!
Great thread man and can't wait to check out the progress on your saber.

And BTW, love the very last pic...I had no idea you were working on that!

That is a Larbel Graflex. You can tell from the PB written on the endcap. Plus he just stuffed the red buttons with paper towels.

If you can find a washer that will fit inside and a spring that fits too you can use a c-clip retention ring to hold it all inside and then the button will be able to be pressed and spring back.

Hey Danny ... great work in progress ... curious to see your end result ... Roy has seen most of G R A F L E X flashguns, which are still bare without any of the many different type of T-tracks available to me alu-metal, plastic Gino's and Saberfreak's, rubber and real vintage metal ... I bet you're done before I even start ... I truly love that so many saber's and blasters enjoy having Roy's T-tracks, which is based on my initial sketch.

For those of you still looking to purchase a real vintage G R A F L E X . . . make certain after arrival to cleanse the tube thoroughly before adding lightsaber greeblies and T-tracks, because you can never know for sure where that vintage flashgun has been in it's sometimes over 60 years of existence, by the looks of this found picture courtesy of an ebay 4x5 negative auction being sold under : '1940s photo Negative Bathroom Urinal Graflex Camera NAVY PHOTOGRAPHER Sailor' :

:lol

Chaim

P.S. Is your inbox full Danny? ... I send you a PM yesterday ;)

Last edited:
hey gang sorry for the late reply. my life hasnt been easy the past couple of days, we got some bad news about 1 of our dogs and its been tough... my familys world has been fliped upside down, life threw us a few curve balls (did i use the right threw? through?) anyway here we go with replies and thank yous

That's a beautiful graflex! Very nice work on those grips, cleanest I've seen yet lol I'll be following this with great interest

wow thanks tom, you have built so many great graflexs, those words coming from you really builds my self esteem!

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Danny,
I'm glad I could have been of help. Great work on cutting those grooves in the T-tracks and good choice on which ones to use! [emoji6]

Roy

again coming from you roy, it really makes me feel good knowing i passed the test of track cutting. i dont know if i can take all the credit because your products are the best!

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah a Graflex build...and an ESB one...my waiting with this build will pay out. So I can gather all the information I need :thumbsup

Great looking Graflex so far. I have two of these red buttons, too. I screwed them in place with one of those glass eye springs underneath. These are really tough and the button isn't pushed too easy or too far inside.

Keep up with your progress and lots of pictures ;)

there are so many ESB graflex builds out there i felt weird starting my own. i figured if i link my thread with the tools i used maybe it will help the next guy in line? i came up with alittle way of making the buttons functional but i dont know if i will have the time to post that tonight, but keep an eye out! its a pretty inexpensive and not many tools required way of doing it

thank you for the kind words

- - - Updated - - -

Super happy for you Dan. I know you've been waiting on this for a long time. Glad to see it all coming together.
Waiting to see more!

thank you kind sir! i was really anxious about doing this, you know doing it myself and putting it on my wall is the easy part. having these guys approvals is the big deal to me, thats why im so happy they all like my ttracks, i get their approval, that gives me the " yes, im excepted!" peace of mind lol

- - - Updated - - -

Ya know what I need, of course.... I need one of them there mini miter boxes!

Why in two Suns had I not thought of this before!?!! lol

Cheers Hal.

oh my god, that miter box is awesome!! i tell ya what, whats really nice is the mini table saw roy has. if i had that mini table saw i would have made a jig for the ttrack to sit in upside down and use that to cut the notch in it. i do have my big table saw i use for every day cutting but i dont have a blade with fine enough teeth... but his mini table saw is perfect for this!

i highly recommend the aluminum miter box, it also has a notch on the side to hook on the side of the table to give it a firm foundation for cutting. which really isnt need when using roys tracks, they cut so smooth compared to "others"

Danny,

As Tom and Roy mentioned, your grips look great. It's the best first-time grip cutting/filing I've ever seen. Don't ask Roy how many T Tracks I've ordered from him LOL!

Andy you dont know how good it feels getting your approval. thanks so much for the kind words, it does take me some time to get them done. but i feel once the job is over they came out pretty good. and with all your approvals it really makes me feel satisfied. i've been talking and watching you guys do this for so long its great to be accepted!

yes andy r2 is a kind secret i've kept from here. though i dont have a build thread yet on astromech i do have the same name, im still learning every day over there, its a whole new world... and im collecting parts every week, there sure is allot of parts... it seems never ending. but im building him to help me do fund raisers, my mother is a pretty big dealer in town for our veterans and cancer walks. i think it would be real cool for people to sponsor R2 in the walks , bring 3-4 extra 12v batteries and i think he could keep up with me! lol

hey! i will be posting "alil' som'thin som'thin" in your yoda saber thread, keep an eye out!!

Hey Danny ... great work in progress ... curious to see your end result ... Roy has seen most of G R A F L E X flashguns, which are still bare without any of the many different type of T-tracks available to me alu-metal, plastic Gino's and Saberfreak's, rubber and real vintage metal ... I bet you're done before I even start ... I truly love that so many saber's and blasters enjoy having Roy's T-tracks, which is based on my initial sketch.

For those of you still looking to purchase a real vintage G R A F L E X . . . make certain after arrival to cleanse the tube thoroughly before adding lightsaber greeblies and T-tracks, because you can never know for sure where that vintage flashgun has been in it's sometimes over 60 years of existence, by the looks of this found picture courtesy of an ebay 4x5 negative auction being sold under : '1940s photo Negative Bathroom Urinal Graflex Camera NAVY PHOTOGRAPHER Sailor' :

http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/zz258/Sym-Cha/Graflex-01_zpsnhoipwel.jpg

:lol

Chaim

P.S. Is your inbox full Danny? ... I send you a PM yesterday ;)

CHAIM my main man! thanks so much for your guidance through this whole thing (did i use the right through?lol) i've had to drive you crazy with PM's. for everyone who doesn't know i must PM chaim 2, 3 times a week with random graflex questions. i wouldn't have got this graflex replica if it wasn't for you. and i truly appreciate all your help and putting up with all my novice questions, i defiantly wouldnt have tackle this if you didnt tell me i could do it. thanks so much!

Danny,

Roy must think I'm building several sabers, but really I just kept ordering ANH t-track to make up for the grips I've ruined with the dremel haha

Danny, I was serious about your T Tracks. None of the ones I've worked on have come out that well. And I've honestly done like four sets. I feel like I may stick to the Luke ANH from here on out so that I don't have to do the notches anymore haha.

I can't wait to see how you handle the beer tab (if you are taking it out). My Luke ESB has cuts in the tube by the rivet hole because I used wire cutting pliers to remove it. Talk about a rookie mistake! It can't even be passed off as "weathering". I have to tell people that Luke did the same thing first when he was updating his ANH to the ESB version.

Roy must think I'm building several sabers, but really I just kept ordering ANH t-track to make up for the grips I've ruined with the dremel haha

Yeah, tell me about it. Roy probably has four or five envelopes already filled out with my address, just waiting on his desk! It always starts out so promising too, and then the impatience swells up and the next thing I know, I'm on wannawanga again.

I hope these are just speed bumps man. Chin up, stay strong.

Also, historically, having a Larbel is pretty flipping sweet. Your replica will be more accurate than the ones Larbel made!

I totally feel your pain on the grips.

I can't see well, & botched my first set from Roy. Finally gave up & got Andy to cut my second set. I was really pleased with how they turned out, so don't believe him when he says he's not good at it.:D:thumbsup

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back