Half life 2 - HEV Suit. (pic heavy) - Carry on med-kit! 31/7

Re: Half life 2 - HEV Suit. (pic heavy)

Fantastic build!

Thank you!

Updates:

Today i had some time to tackle the gloves. I was not planning on doing anything special for them. Just go out, buy airsoft gloves with some kind of fancy padding - done.
When i got to the store they had a few choices. I picked a pair that looked really cool to me but they had brand naming in the rubbery padding so i had to get rid of that.

So the easy 'go buy gloves and done' changed in a small build.

First cut away the brand names. Two squares at the wrist. and two names on back of the hand:

Y2S3bxR.jpg

The letters Mechanix on the fabric are without flash not visible at all. And also gordon is a kind of mechanic, so those didn't bother me.

Second: glue on foam pieces ( annoying as hell. Hot glue came lose instantly, so i had to use old bottles of superglue ...and you know what that means :p) Eventually after a lot of probing with sewing needles and begging for a drop of super glue i got them fixed on good.

NTvIQkq.jpg

Third paint and weather:

5A11uC0.jpg

Last step: be self amazed on how good they look next to the bracers :D :D

GawdsVQ.jpg

o7dGW2q.jpg

Also a little bonus, my inserts for the arms are finished, they came out really good and they fit well in the supports i build in. Still need the velcro though (just like the one for the neck)

vvk0kJ9.jpg

Cya soon for more updates!!!

This is a great build :D I love some of the methods you've used to connect parts together :)

This is a great build :D I love some of the methods you've used to connect parts together :)

Thx! Something i learned from my iron man build: Thinking how you will put it on in ADVANCE!

This looks really nice. Some excellent paint work as well.

Thank you!

Update:

Today we (my gf helped) tackled the flaps. We have one done. To show you what the idea is i have a few pic's.

Basically we will wrap three pieces of foam in a black fabric. Then we will stack the foam over each other creating the 'flaps' . These flaps represent the things you see on the HEV suit around the abs area.
Note, neither of us has ever used a sewing machine so if you see stupid stuff, its our first time.

Measuring:

qqyDswc.jpg

Closing one side and putting the foam inside:

bd43La9.jpg

Test fit:

Note: most things are held up by hand or pinned down with needle's. So it looks kinda out of place on the pic's.

Front. The front will also have an extra piece that goes between my legs but thats for in the end.

rRrpds5.jpg

Back. It stands open now because a needle came lose. But you get the point.

tKB5x1r.jpg

Other two flaps held on to show the meaning of the build.

eOdU1jv.jpg

So, tomorrow another flap or maybe two. And then trying to find a good way to attatch them to the undersuit (read long sleeved, turtle neck t-shirt).

-Hopli-

Hey guys!

Quick update:

Finished the flaps. Only thing left to do is attach them to my t-shirt and close them in the back. After that its home stretch! Do something with the knees and shoes. And do a full test fit/walk and a photoshoot.

Front:

v6nswDz.jpg

Back:

EcFmaGJ.jpg

All three of them are sewn together.

Soon finished!

-Hopli-

Update:

I know these are small updates but the finish is in sight!

I got the flaps finally finished. It was not easy but its done.
It fits really well, doesn't move. Don't have to think about these things shifting at all now. So the flaps from the post above are permanently attached to the T-shirt now. (btw i was really tired hence the look on my face )

Pic's:

7RgQrh1.jpg

UrKJdO1.jpg

Next post should be full suit up and complete finished suit. All i need to do is figure out some rigging for the upper legs because they shift down when walking. All the other parts are done.

Cya soon!

-Hopli-

Still looking fantastic. Do you plan on weathering the cloth parts of the suit at all?

Still looking fantastic. Do you plan on weathering the cloth parts of the suit at all?

Thank you! I don't know yet about the weathering. Not familiar with weathering fabrics. I might do a few brown and yellow washes and some red splatters of paint. But i will have to test it first on some spare cloth. All the blacks of the armor are lacking weathering aswell, so i might have to revisit all of them in the end.

Making the last piece right now. After that i will test the weathering and post my findings.

-Hopli-

Really look forward to seeing it all together. I don't do full scale painting like this, just models and the like, but I definitely find doing tests very very useful. Always do a lot of research on the weathering effect I'm going for and then do a lot of tests before actually doing it. Better to screw up a scrap of styrene or a a scrap of fabric than something I have already spent a lot of time or money on.

Re: Half life 2 - HEV Suit. (pic heavy) - Full suit up p2!

Hey guys!

Finally the moment has come! It is as good as finished. I only needs a few tweaks here and there for wearing but overall I can call it finished. I haven't really decided on weathering the fabric pieces like dedguy suggested. I might look into that this weekend, although i don't think them being black it will make a whole lot of a difference.

Only thing left to do is finish painting on the crowbar. And I will buy a cheap springer USP Match to carry as well. So I have some more poses to do.

I'm planning on finding a suitable post-apocalyptic industrial place for some prof. pictures, so keep an eye on this thread, they are coming! Thank you for the support this far and the fine comments.

(btw the grin on my face in the pictures is the result of being really happy my suit is finished :p , o and the headcrap is the official valve plush headcrab)

These are the two best pictures I could make in the soon to be baby room. As said above better pictures are coming.

-Hopli-

25exYhI.jpg

wBCCOvj.jpg

Re: Half life 2 - HEV Suit. (pic heavy) - Full suit-up pics added p2!

Wow! My dream come to life! Thank you for your attention to detail!

Hey... are those shoes regulation issue? :)

Also, is that a real crowbar? Might get a tad heavy carrying around, but certainly lends believability to the costume!

As far as the head crab, you could name him Crackers and treat him like a pet parrot.

great work mister!

shame you'd never be allowed to carry a real crow bar to a Con'

Hows the med-pack carry all XD I just got a standard strap onto the leg carrier and fastened it to the thigh armour, little personal touches.

Stay Frosty

/M

Wow! My dream come to life! Thank you for your attention to detail!

Hey... are those shoes regulation issue? :)

Also, is that a real crowbar? Might get a tad heavy carrying around, but certainly lends believability to the costume!

As far as the head crab, you could name him Crackers and treat him like a pet parrot.

Crackers... that’s amazing XD. Those shoes are 'safety' shoes from work. They happen to have orange in them and they are weathered by my hard labor XD. I just need to hide the laces a bit or make them shorter and they are good to go. I didn't want to do anything with the shoes cause I need to walk on them a whole day. And they fit really well.

That’s not a real crowbar, but I'm happy you have a hard time telling :p. It’s one made from expanding foam. Its ugly and weak as hell. But with a bit of red paint and some detailing it will do as a 'safe' prop to carry around. I have a real one here that I will transform into a really nice prop for my collection, it’s not allowed for a con though. So the crowbar is not finished, still needs paint.

I also bought this
8nYIVvE.jpg

Its a H&K USP match bicolor. (airsoft off course). This is the model of the handgun in HL². Gamescom doesn't allow airsoft weapons though so if I want to carry it I’ll have to make a foam version. (Which is the plan for the remainder of weeks till gamescom. )

Thank you for your kind words! I promise better pictures are coming :) .

great work mister!

shame you'd never be allowed to carry a real crow bar to a Con'

Hows the med-pack carry all XD I just got a standard strap onto the leg carrier and fastened it to the thigh armour, little personal touches.

Stay Frosty

/M

Hey, thanks! I have yet to start on that. The plan is to have a wall of HL² props and stuff together with the suit. Hence why I bought the USP Match. So I might make the med and battery packs, maybe a wall charger for the suit, Gravity gun and some other weapons to make a great showcase.

I'm going to GC with a few friends so they can carry my stuff. The thing is I live in an apartment atm and I don't have room for sanding, drilling and other dirty work. So as soon as I move (normally next year) I’ll start making props for my favorite universe! I just want them to be good and detailed and I can't do that without a decent workspace.

-Hopli-

Great job on the suit! It looks great. Nice work with all the fabric covered foam.

Great job on the suit! It looks great. Nice work with all the fabric covered foam.

Thx man! The fabric covered foam was key for me to allow mobility and still have the right shape. Its freaking hard to do when you never sown before though. Just got a message the USP MATCH will arrive today. I will make a foam version of that and post the progress here aswell.

-Hopli-

Hey guys,

Finally found some time to do the final touches.

Here is a pic of the two weapons I am going to wear with the suit. (cleverly arranged in the lambda sign)
The gun is a Heckler and Koch USP match (springer airsoft). The crowbar is made from expanding foam, i think it only weighs 100g or so. Its not that straight and perfect but more than good enough for a safe prop in a con.

fIQUMXK.jpg

KZ0hvKY.jpg

This week or next week I'll go outside and take more pictures of the suit in a post-apocalyptic looking area.

-Hopli-

such amazing work, man! half life is my favorite game of all time!
i'm trying to tackle my own HEV build. I'm working on a steampunk version made out of leather and brass. i'm taking a bit of creative liberty with mine and calling it the "mark zero," heh.
i've got that headcrab too!
keep up the great work!

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back