HAL 9000 Panel (2001:A Space Odyssey) - pg.5 final Update

That looks sweet. Can you supply the vinyl details, I'd like to try it on mine. My faceplate is gloss paint which not exactly ideal. Many thanks.
Details are right there on the tape in the gif. It’s from Vvivid Vinyl. (.ca for me, .com as well)
“Black Brushed Metal”

Yeah, I might have led some of you astray with that RVinyl ... I bought a few different onse when I did my HAL. I remember one of them being glittery ... Not right for HAL. There's a number of black brushed vinyls in amazon. I THINK this is the one I finally landed on.

Yeah that one on Amazon is the one I got but I ordered it straight from the maker as opposed to through Amazon. That one has a bit of glitter to it.

Just to be clear. There are some without glitter Here's a closeup of mine.
IMG_0180.JPG

If anyone is interested, I’ve located a place that will provide Moebius HAL size real anodized black brushed aluminum plates at a cost of $7.50 ea.
I will be ordering some this evening and will post pics when they arrive.
I'd be in for these if they turn out. Was it a Canadian shop?

Was it a Canadian shop?
No, US so they might take a couple weeks to arrive to me. Only thing that will need to be done is make a hole for the lens but other than that they should be a drop in replacement accurate to a 16th of an inch. Hope they look good. At the price point it was worth a shot to find out.

If anyone is interested, I’ve located a place that will provide Moebius HAL size real anodized black brushed aluminum plates at a cost of $7.50 ea.
I will be ordering some this evening and will post pics when they arrive.

cool, depending what they look like might interested in one
keep us posted
but do we order from you, or from the US store?

No, US so they might take a couple weeks to arrive to me. Only thing that will need to be done is make a hole for the lens but other than that they should be a drop in replacement accurate to a 16th of an inch. Hope they look good. At the price point it was worth a shot to find out.
So your vinyl is now null and void?? :) I looked up your vinyl that you bought, and while very cheap, shipping to me in Ireland was crazy expensive. Look forward to seeing pics of either installed. My Hal is finished, complete with quirky ebay seller's glass lens that was recommended on here. (Which looks extremely well) Just not 100% happy with gloss paint on my face plate. Many thanks for all your posts and help.

J

So your vinyl is now null and void?? :) I looked up your vinyl that you bought, and while very cheap, shipping to me in Ireland was crazy expensive. Look forward to seeing pics of either installed. My Hal is finished, complete with quirky ebay seller's glass lens that was recommended on here. (Which looks extremely well) Just not 100% happy with gloss paint on my face plate. Many thanks for all your posts and help.

J
Black paint on the face should be satin and not gloss;)

So your vinyl is now null and void?? :) I looked up your vinyl that you bought, and while very cheap, shipping to me in Ireland was crazy expensive. Look forward to seeing pics of either installed. My Hal is finished, complete with quirky ebay seller's glass lens that was recommended on here. Just not 100% happy with gloss paint on the face plate. Many thanks for all your posts and help.
Black paint on the face should be satin and not gloss;)
Well yes, the tin said satin, but it seemed more glossy than I was expecting lol

Just to be clear. There are some without glitter Here's a closeup of mine.View attachment 1437755

This is clearly the best solution. It's looks perfect. Any chance you could confirm the type you used here? I also bought the Vvivid Black Brushed Steel in the link, but mine has the glittery specks.
If it's too much of a pain in the ass, I'll just email the company and see what they say

This is clearly the best solution. It's looks perfect. Any chance you could confirm the type you used here? I also bought the Vvivid Black Brushed Steel in the link, but mine has the glittery specks.
If it's too much of a pain in the ass, I'll just email the company and see what they say
I think Valor might be remembering wrong which company's vinyl he used.
Either that or there's been a change in Vvivid's vinyl and it didn't used to have the specks but now does.

This one looks quite good
Yeah. Looks identical to Vvivid's except without flecks. I'm pretty sure that's what Valor used. Who knows I may end up getting some. Will see how the real aluminum I ordered and the applied Vvivid vinyl looks first and then decide if I want to order some of RVinyl's.

Okay, I dug back into my Amazon purchase history from 2016 when I made my HAL. THIS .... THIS might be the correct one:

Last edited:
So your vinyl is now null and void?? :) I looked up your vinyl that you bought, and while very cheap, shipping to me in Ireland was crazy expensive. Look forward to seeing pics of either installed. My Hal is finished, complete with quirky ebay seller's glass lens that was recommended on here. Just not 100% happy with gloss paint on the face plate. Many thanks for all your posts and help.

Well yes, the tin said satin, but it seemed more glossy than I was expecting lol
Well, then it`s a coat of mat clear that you`ll have to spray on that baby;)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back