Guy on eBay selling my 3D printed props!!!

The14thDr

Sr Member
I noticed this purely by chance when doing a Google search for "Death Star plans", and what should come up first? Someone selling 3D printed replicas using my STL files that I shared via Thingiverse.

And if that wasn't bad enough, they've even stolen my images from the Thingiverse site.

Although it pains me to do so, as I genuinely believe in giving back to this community, I've had to pull the files from Thingiverse.

My next step will be to send the seller a message asking them to remove the listing as they are stealing files that I created and using them for profitable gain.

I shall keep you all informed.

Kind regards, The14thDr

I know it's nice to share files for free and such but I've unfortunately learned the same way as you have it's just not safe. From now on, if you want to share these files, only share them via PM and take down the person's name when you do it so you have a list of suspects if it happens again

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. After all the help I've been given through things like free files online, I always believed in doing the same as a way of giving back to this community, but clearly some people think it's okay to take advantage of that so I guess they've spoilt the fun for everyone now. :/

EDIT: I'm currently writing a message for the eBay seller but I haven't a clue what to write or how to phrase it. I'm new to this so a little help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Thanks guys. After all the help I've been given through things like free files online, I always believed in doing the same as a way of giving back to this community, but clearly some people think it's okay to take advantage of that so I guess they've spoilt the fun for everyone now. :/

EDIT: I'm currently writing a message for the eBay seller but I haven't a clue what to write or how to phrase it. I'm new to this so a little help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
What is the seller name?

propworkz
Just tell him/her that they have committed a crime by stealing, and reproducing a product without permission of the Maker of those STL files. Alongside that they stole the images you had posted originally to build interest in their product. And that they should take it down, before you bring up legal action.

Okay, so I've sent the seller a message via eBay. Hopefully this can be resolved quickly and without any trouble.

Hello propworkz,

Unfortunately I am messaging you regarding the "Rogue One Death Star Plans" that you currently have for sale, which were in fact posted on Thingiverse by myself.

I shared the STL files for this prop under the Creative Commons License, meaning you legally cannot redistribute my work for a profitable gain, especially not without the maker's permission.

You have also stolen the images that I posted on Thingiverse (of my own replica of the prop) and are using them in an attempt to build interest in your listing.

This is an illegal practise, and I would like to politely ask that you remove the listing immediately.

Thank you for your time.

I've just received a reply from the seller, claiming innocence. Although whether or not I believe him is another matter considering he didn't even credit me for making the files that he was apparently offering purely "as a printing service".

Reply from propworkz:
Hi and thank you for bringing this to our attention. While we don't claim to having made the original model and only offer a printing service we are sorry to hear that this is an illegal practice. After reviewing this I can assure you that we do not want to have any illegal practices and will remove the listing.

Thank you for your message and sorry for any inconvenience caused

EDIT: what I do find quite amusing is how the product description claims that the model is "100% movie accurate" when it clearly isn't, as I made the files long before any hi-res references were available. :p

Last edited:
hey at least you found it on ebay! I was a member of a fb group, the owner messaged me about having me "donate" files to them. I said sorry, it was a joint project with people that weren't ok with that so he ended up buying them, uploading them to his fb group to resell and redistribute then ban me from the group without any notice. Had to have a friend help me buy taking a screenshot of the uploaded file (same file name, file size) and take a screenshot of the member list where I was no longer listed. Fun times. Even selling your files doesn't help much when they are only $5-10

I'm sorry to hear that man.
No matter how much time or effort you put into making something, or how generous you are by making it available to the public, there will always be someone there to exploit that for their own gain.

All I can say is I'm glad I found this (completely by chance I might add) before they were able to make a sale.

"Sorry to hear that this is an illegal practice". Sorry to hear? That they committed a crime? Sounds super professional... :behave

But in all seriousness, sorry to hear about your files. It's a terrible shame people have to ruin the fun for everyone.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back