Guri's 2015 Halloween Costume Contest Entry - Galadriel Armor - concept design

Re: Galadriel Armor - concept design from The Hobbit

I like that idea - leaving it as an easter egg... even among the Hobbit movie fans, it's going to be a small sliver of people who have seen Daniel's drawing.

That said, enigmatic and aloof probably don't win contests...if that's a concern.

Put the crown together. I've bent the front so it comes more on my forehead than in this photo.
crowndone.jpg crowncloseup.jpg
The hair jewelry is coming along. It will be separate from the crown, kept on by wig combs
hairjewelry.jpg
Daniel Falconer's drawing is not complete in the book, so I've come up with some possibilities for the... I guess it's a lance or spear?
bladeoptions.jpg

Personally, I like the second in from the left the most. It seems to suit the theme of the Elven warrior swords and Legolas' daggers the most, plus the shape flows really well, like Elven gear should. Also, the blade shouldn't be too long if it's on a long handle. Typically, a Naginata handle is between 5-7 feet and the blade between 1-2 feet, depending on the height of the wielder/it's purpose in battle.
Women generally had a smaller blade to improve dexterity in combat because the handles were pretty heavy, compared to the Katana's etc. they would most likely be up against.

Obviously it's your choice, but thought that might be helpful for you when you make your decision/come to scaling the prop :)

Thanks for the input! I hadn't thought of all those angles of actual use, just what it looks like. The one you selected was the first one I drew based on what I thought it would most likely be and the others I experimented with to give myself options. I found a great tutorial on line that i'm going to use for the method of creating it:

This guy is from Australia has some great ideas and he's really funny...

[video]https://youtu.be/USAYoQt0GfQ[/video]

The spear Galadriel is carrying in the book looks like Gil-Galads. Here is the mock up. Off to get some Terraflex this week to finish it.

My husband did his part in fixing up two parts of the staff so they screw in together - now we can take it apart for the car ride. I still have to stain it, but my hand will go right where the seam is.

spearmockup.jpg

How I made it - I took one of those hollow aluminum or cheap metal curtain rods and folded and hammered it to the shape I wanted for a sturdy base. Then I made the pattern and cut 2 pieces of craft foam and 2 pieces of poster board. I glued the foam and poster board together and then, poster side in, I sandwiched the flat metal rod between them and just used masking tape to hold it all in place.

Sorry no photos of the process but Dcon is in 2 weeks so I'm sure you all understand how that goes. haha!

Last edited:

The hair jewelry - tends to get lost in my locks... gotta figure out if I'm okay with that or want to make more or do some cross chains so it lays on top. And I have to pick the exact length I want... I'm leaning towards the right side where it's the same as my hair rather than longer.

hairjewelry4.jpg

Looks good! Though I agree that the chains get lost in your hair a bit. I like the look of it at the same length as your hair better than longer.

I understand about the time crunch - my con is the same weekend as DragonCon so I'm in the same boat as you! :X

Thanks, Yrien! The cross chains seem to be working - don't have a photo yet, though.

Looks great. I've been working on a replica of Aeglos Gil-Galad's spear off and on for a year now. Still need to do the raised vine detail and engraving. Can't wait to see this finished!

Stivie, I bet yours is going to be amazing, taking your time like that. I'm slapping this together like a mad woman. haha! But perfection is the enemy of good enough - and I want this to be good enough for Dcon rather than not getting it done at all because I obsess.

I got the Terraflex at Tandy Leather - brought my mock up in and the guy there was admitting to geeking out. love that!

I took photos this time... I don't know why they make a big deal about how one side is smooth and the other isn't because as soon as you heat it, the smooth side feels just like the rough side. It does sand, so we'll see how smooth I can get it before I paint it. It smells like saw dust.

terraflexprocess.jpg

Some more work - engraving. I'm using the tip of an empty glue gun.

writing2.jpgwriting.jpg

Last edited:

In case you are going to Dcon and want to see me... let me know you're from RPF cause I'm terrible with names. *haha*! But I hope to see as many people as I can...

Dragoncon.jpg

Terraflex doesn't sand to smooth, so I went over it one more time with the heat gun and smoothed it out as much as time would permit.... I then coated it with wood glue before I spray painted it silver. I then hand painted the gold and lightly sanded the silver because it looked too glossy. For weathering I went over the embossing and around the gold raised pieces with a very dark antique brownish gold and wiped away the excess. Then I highlighted with some silver paint.

goldspear.jpgspeartippaintedgold.jpg

A few finished costume photos:

galadriels.jpgsideshotwithgroup.jpgwithsuron.jpgbackofhair.jpgcloseup.jpgcloseup2.jpg The last two are some what high rez, if you want to see the scales close up, put them in full screen mode.

Attachments

• closeup.jpg
    closeup.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:

It wasn't too bad, it's pretty distributed. I wore it for 4 hours on Friday night, 5 hours on Saturday night and 3 hours on Sunday morning... I think it was hardest to keep my posture completely upright while wearing it. :p It was a bit hot too, but that's to be expected in Atlanta!

" a single strand of your hair, which surpasses the gold of the earth as the stars surpass the gems of the mine. I do not ask for such a gift. But you commanded me to name my desire'." -Gimli

Wonderful.

" a single strand of your hair, which surpasses the gold of the earth as the stars surpass the gems of the mine. I do not ask for such a gift. But you commanded me to name my desire'." -Gimli
And she gave him, three... :love I love the way they portrayed that in the movie where she laughs lightly at how sweet it is.

Wonderful.

thanks! :D

You know, I was disappointed enough I did not see you at DCon, but even moreso now I never got to see you in this. :(

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back