Guri's 2015 Halloween Costume Contest Entry - Galadriel Armor - concept design

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by Guri, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Guri

Guri Sr Member

I've costumed Galadriel for over 10 years, but my favorite builds have always been armor. So when I heard they were putting Dol Guldur in the movie my hopes sprang that MAYBE I would see Galadriel in armor - sadly it was not to be so. The movie makers decided to put her barefoot in lace and silks...

However, when Daniel' Falconer's Concept Design book came out for the final Hobbit movie, in it was his first take on the costume for that scene that they did not use. And I had to make it.

[​IMG]
    Design by Daniel Falconer - from Weta Workshop in the book "The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies Chronicles Art & Design" Written By Daniel Falconer Pg 48

It is gorgeous and better than I imagined it could be (not surprising, as Daniel himself designed it and I've always had an affinity for his work (Haldir and Eomer are my other two favorites that I made) - so, I was even more disappointed that it did not end up on screen.

But why sit with that disappointment? Why not MAKE it happen and bring it into existence myself. And since I am going to Dcon this year - and have the time and amazingly, the $$ to make it happen - it is a perfect storm.

So, despite the fact that maybe only a handful of people will have any clue who I am supposed to be, I went ahead and bought the metal scales from RingLord yesterday. 4500... Let's do this.

Here is my plan:

FIRST LAYER
    firstlayer.jpg

SECOND LAYER
    secondlayer.jpg

THIRD LAYER
    Fourthlayer.jpg

HAIR PIECE
    fifthlayer.jpg
    This Crown I'll make the same way I made my Galadriel Crown from the Hobbit.
    Youtube Tutorial found in the #13 post of this thread: http://www.therpf.com/f24/5-video-t...m-leather-new-one-aluminum-tape-silver-159848

As a submission for the 2015 RPF Costume Contest, here is easier access to my proof photo and gallery photo that were posted elsewhere in the thread:
    proofphoto.jpg galadriel.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  2. Yrien

Yrien Well-Known Member

Re: Galadriel Armor - concept design from The Hobbit

Definitely subscribed for this! What a great concept - it's really too bad they didn't use it. I can't wait to see how it turns out. :)

Guri likes this.
  3. SmilingOtter

SmilingOtter Master Member

I'm *this* close to being angry with PJ for ignoring some really good concept art - the Mirkwood elf hunters, the regal dwarf armor, and your Galadriel armor. I can't wait to see you get this made.

As much as I like TRL, their recommended method of making scale maille - using jump rings - is almost totally non-historical. (The Roman lorica plumata might have been close.) Scales were sewn onto a cloth or leather backing, like you're doing.

Guri likes this.
  4. Guri

Guri Sr Member

I had no idea - this makes me feel so much better! I thought I was cheating. :D

I wasn't exactly angry with PJ, but my stomach fell with a thud when I heard she would not be wearing armor. Since Daniel designed it and put it in the book I have recovered and am more excited than ever.

BTW, if anyone is going to Dcon and keen on making a Sauron to pose fighting with me, let's talk. I have made his helmet already. My husband is going as Fili and is actually shorter than me and we don't have time to make the fully costume anyway. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  5. DrSasquatch

DrSasquatch New Member

I've been pondering a Sauron costume for several years. But I'm nowhere near dcon :( best of luck though :)

6. Guri

Guri Sr Member

Aw, too bad, DrSasqutch... thanks for the luck! I'm feeling like I'm going to need it after getting a look at how many scales there are.

They came today. They are much tinier than I imagined. (so fun that they came on the same day s my Dcon tickets)

scales.jpg

They are beautiful, though - and I'm considering using some gold rub and buff on them here and there to get more shine. Anyone ever done that?

7. Stivie

Stivie Well-Known Member

What are they made of? Are they plated? Can they be buffed to a shine? Or possibly tumbled to a higher shine with the correct media.

8. Guri

Guri Sr Member

They are Anodized Aluminum. I will test a few to see what effects I can achieve. I don't have a 'tumbler' though.

They do sell a 'mirrored gold' option, but they were out of stock. I just looked it up and they said yesterday the mirrored gold would be ready in "8-10 weeks - we're just ordering the material now"

I supposed I might have been able to wait had I known before I ordered these, but oh well. I'll make it work.

Site: http://theringlord.com/cart/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=84&cat=Scalemail+Supplies

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  9. SmilingOtter

SmilingOtter Master Member

10. WereDrelf

WereDrelf New Member

Beautiful concept! Looking forward to seeing your finished work. Watching this armor move will be sight to behold. :)

11. Guri

Guri Sr Member

The first stage of the pattern for the fitted underpiece that I will sew the scailles on. This is a striped sheet that really aids in seeing how the pattern matches up. it's on the form wonky so they aren't parallel. The places that have marks on them are where let myself know to match things up. I started by pinning it all and then had to decide what to sew.

basepattern.jpg

Templates for the scales with gold wrapping paper and poster board and found that the straight scales stood out around the curves - which makes sense according to physics... So I changed the shape a bit and made them in craft foam and ironed and bent them, which helped. I'm also thinking I should get some of the larger metal scales as well, as you can see in the photo, to help transition from the small ones to the craft foam/faux leather.

templates.jpg

Twananas likes this.
  12. dog of ulthar

dog of ulthar Member

Though sewing scales is more historically accurate, I've done it with this kind of scales and...it works, but I wouldn't recommend it. You get some more flexibility in what kind of shapes you can make, and it may be a touch lighter, but unless you're unbelievably precise it'll always be messier than doing it with rings, and I don't think it saves any time.

*, this design is gorgeous though, so I really hope it works out.

Guri likes this.
  13. Guri

Guri Sr Member

Thanks for the input on being precise with the scales. I have been considering the fabric for a while now and that really confirms that I need to get something like needlepoint or cross-stitch fabric/mesh so that I can see exactly evenly where I want to sew the scales. I actually thought about using a ruler and marking my canvas fabric, but oy, that would be a task.

The last couple of days I've been testing various combinations of paint, glue, metallic pens and rub n buff to see if I can get a close color and texture on the foam as the scales.

Foam glue watered down a bit actually is working well to seal it with a very smooth finish. I also like the metallic pen to make it look like metal... don't like how many pens that would take, though, so I may try to figure out how to spray paint it. (just using metallic paint on with a brush right now)

dog of ulthar likes this.
  14. Guri

Guri Sr Member

I gave it a go for a couple of hours today and figured out the distance necessary to get them as close together as possible but still cover the punched hole when they are at rest. This fabric is used for cross stitch and it's pretty heavy - the thread is embroidery strength. It's a bit stiff, but that could be a benefit for holding its shape. The best part is the weave of this fabric makes it super easy to count stitches and get the scales even. The color is nice and neutral too, though, I thought about dying it a more gold tone, but I don't know that it's necessary... thinking about it.
    sewingonscales.jpg

Next; to try and cut/sew this material in the pattern I created to see if it will hold up or have too much of a potential to fray. I think if I finish the edges well enough at every seam it should be fine; maybe even do some fabric glue over the edges after the scales are all sewn on.

Twananas likes this.
  15. Yrien

Yrien Well-Known Member

Do you have access to a Serger? I don't know how well it would work on that type of fabric but it might not hurt to try it. Fabric glue/fray check would probably help too but since it's such a loose weave I'd probably try a couple of methods together to make sure it'll be as sturdy as possible.

I can't wait to see the scales finished - they're loking really great already.

16. Guri

Guri Sr Member

Progress is slow, but there is some progress.
    Early on in the process.
    mailleshirt.jpg
    After the vest was done I started working on the craft foam pauldrons.
    bodiceshoulder.jpg
    The pauldrons are painted, but I still have to attach them. You can sort of see the right arm is started here.
    shoulders.jpg

Raphaella likes this.
  17. Arwyniel

Arwyniel Well-Known Member

Wow, this is going to be gorgeous!!!

Guri likes this.
  18. Yrien

Yrien Well-Known Member

Beautiful! I am loving it so far. :)

Guri likes this.
  19. Duncanator

Duncanator Sr Member

I love the different sizes of scales. It looks like a golden armored bird. So shimmery!

Guri likes this.
  20. Guri

Guri Sr Member

Thanks all! :D

Duncanator, Yeah! It feels so nice too, like a reptile. It looks like I'll be making a lot more sizes too because of the way the design is working out for the shoulders, hips and arms.

It's been funny finding little golden scales around the house as I tend to drop them here and there - it's like a dragon is shedding or something. haha!

21. mdb

mdb Sr Member

<3 Loove!!!

Also some of the scale stuff for the first films was a mylar coated fabric ;) I saw some in person. The only mylar around here atm is a pearl and pearl-pink and sadly shows the backing too much. But the shapes appears stamped out in strips and sewn along the top.

22. kialna

kialna Sr Member

Oh my god. This is gorgeous! I wish I had the patience to do all that. Maybe one day in the future...hahaha

23. Guri

Guri Sr Member

Yeah! I remember when I made the Haldir armor looking at loads of images - from what I understand some of the costumes in The Hobbit used the same aluminum scales I am using, only in a Champagne color instead of brushed gold. They have mirrored gold available now; it wasn't when I started. As much as I think that would have been super cool to be that shiny, it would probably have made the contrast from the foam and the aluminum stand out even more than it already does.

Obtaining this patience has been a process, for sure. I've had to go back between this and Kili in order to stay sane.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  24. Guri

Guri Sr Member

The shoulder armor is just about done, just need to add a few more pieces here and there, trim it and paint anything that shows gold. I found some beautiful gold crinkle fabric for the cape too! photos soon.

I'm working on the hip armor today...

hiparmorpattern.jpg

I made half of it in cardboard and gold wrapping paper just to be sure I know how much I need before I start the craft foam process. The lower part of the skirt will snap on under the vest so that I can take off the armor skirt if I need to.

Yrien and kialna like this.
  25. Kelsohighlander

Kelsohighlander Active Member

Already amazing! Can't wait to see it when it's completed!

Guri likes this.
  26. kialna

kialna Sr Member

Agreed! This is so stunningly beautiful!

Guri likes this.
  27. Guri

Guri Sr Member

Thanks Kelsohighlander and Kialna!!

So here are the steps for making foam armor. I didn't take photos as I went because of just being focused on getting it done. But I will try to take more when I make the wrist guards. I do have a video tutorial on making craft foam look like leather, though, and that has almost all the same steps:

https://youtu.be/4IZSr2CZRp4

First step - cutting out templates in paper/stock paper (above)
    Second step - Iron the foam on both sides to seal and this shrinks it as well
    Third step - Iron heat n bond on to fabric
    Fourth step - Iron the fabric to the back of the foam
    Fifth step - trace out the templates on the fabric and cut out
    Sixth step - iron each piece, fold in half to form and when it cools it stays that shape
    Seventh step - put two to three coats of mod podge glue on the foam side to seal it further
    skirtscales.jpg
    Eighth step - spray paint gold 2-3 coats
    Ninth step - touch up with paint brush on the underside and edges in case it is ever seen
    Tenth step - sew it on.

I numbered every leaf and wrote them on the above image so I could keep of the templates and the foam pieces... there are 40 template pieces, which makes almost 80 altogether because there are some center pieces which did not get doubled. Thankfully foam is light. haha!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  28. Guri

Guri Sr Member

Some progress... the upper armor and skirt armor is done and I"m sewing leaf maille pieces on the cape. I still need to make the crown and the hair 'jewelry' and figure out the lower arm pieces.

capeandskirt.jpg
    The fabric that is gray and beige will eventually be covered with extra gold fabric from the cape or more leaf maille, depending on how much time I have.

Please don't tell me how many days until Dcon, I don't have time to cry.

Yrien and Twananas like this.
  29. Twananas

Twananas Active Member

It looks amazing so far! Good luck, please don't cry :)

30. Guri

Guri Sr Member

No tears yet... *hehe*
    Here are some more progress photos - almost ready for DragonCon! There are still some details that need to be done, and the crown.
    arms1.jpg arms2.jpg backprogress.jpg frontprogress.jpg sideprogress2.jpg

hannathing, Yrien and Raphaella like this.
  31. Pants

Pants Active Member

This is absolutely stunning! I cannot wait to see the finished product!

32. Raphaella

Raphaella Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow ! So beautiful ! Now, maybe you need a lance and a helmet or something for your head

33. Kelsohighlander

Kelsohighlander Active Member

Tremendous! Love love love!

34. WereDrelf

WereDrelf New Member

Beautiful!!

35. Guri

Guri Sr Member

Thanks everyone! This costume has taken a lot of time, but is a complete joy to work on.

Yeah! I am planning to 'forge' the lance/spear Daniel Falconer designed to go with it and he also drew a crown with the hair 'jewelry' which should be interesting to figure out.

36. Darktriumph

Darktriumph New Member

This looks amazing. The part I like most? It's off the beaten path. I think it is all the more stunning because it wasn't depicted on film. Your rig comes with a story built in "the costume that almost was...".

37. Arwyniel

Arwyniel Well-Known Member

Speechless...really. No words!!

38. tictoc

tictoc Well-Known Member

You do look wonderful.

39. Guri

Guri Sr Member

Thanks everyone!! :)

What I'm wondering is how to approach explaining it at Dcon - do I just let it stand as is and if someone asks say it's Galadriel in armor... or do I somehow figure out how to bring a photo of the design with me? I really need to give Daniel Falconer the credit for the design, but I obviously can't explain the entire story to everyone I meet.

I'd love to hear ideas on it...

40. Darktriumph

Darktriumph New Member

I see your dilemma. I am working on a build that I suspect won't be recognised by most. I plan on having the conversation with those that connect it and leaving the costume to speak for itself with those who don't connect it. Kind of like a living easter egg for those cool enough to catch on.

Guri likes this.
  41. Guri

Guri Sr Member

I like that idea - leaving it as an easter egg... even among the Hobbit movie fans, it's going to be a small sliver of people who have seen Daniel's drawing.

42. Darktriumph

Darktriumph New Member

That said, enigmatic and aloof probably don't win contests...if that's a concern.

43. Guri

Guri Sr Member

Put the crown together. I've bent the front so it comes more on my forehead than in this photo.
    crowndone.jpg crowncloseup.jpg
    The hair jewelry is coming along. It will be separate from the crown, kept on by wig combs
    hairjewelry.jpg
    Daniel Falconer's drawing is not complete in the book, so I've come up with some possibilities for the... I guess it's a lance or spear?
    bladeoptions.jpg

Raphaella likes this.
  44. Pants

Pants Active Member

Personally, I like the second in from the left the most. It seems to suit the theme of the Elven warrior swords and Legolas' daggers the most, plus the shape flows really well, like Elven gear should. Also, the blade shouldn't be too long if it's on a long handle. Typically, a Naginata handle is between 5-7 feet and the blade between 1-2 feet, depending on the height of the wielder/it's purpose in battle.
    Women generally had a smaller blade to improve dexterity in combat because the handles were pretty heavy, compared to the Katana's etc. they would most likely be up against.

Obviously it's your choice, but thought that might be helpful for you when you make your decision/come to scaling the prop :)

Guri likes this.
  45. Guri

Guri Sr Member

Thanks for the input! I hadn't thought of all those angles of actual use, just what it looks like. The one you selected was the first one I drew based on what I thought it would most likely be and the others I experimented with to give myself options. I found a great tutorial on line that i'm going to use for the method of creating it:

This guy is from Australia has some great ideas and he's really funny...

[video]https://youtu.be/USAYoQt0GfQ[/video]

46. Guri

Guri Sr Member

The spear Galadriel is carrying in the book looks like Gil-Galads. Here is the mock up. Off to get some Terraflex this week to finish it.

My husband did his part in fixing up two parts of the staff so they screw in together - now we can take it apart for the car ride. I still have to stain it, but my hand will go right where the seam is.

spearmockup.jpg

How I made it - I took one of those hollow aluminum or cheap metal curtain rods and folded and hammered it to the shape I wanted for a sturdy base. Then I made the pattern and cut 2 pieces of craft foam and 2 pieces of poster board. I glued the foam and poster board together and then, poster side in, I sandwiched the flat metal rod between them and just used masking tape to hold it all in place.

Sorry no photos of the process but Dcon is in 2 weeks so I'm sure you all understand how that goes. haha!

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
    Yrien and Raphaella like this.
  47. Guri

Guri Sr Member

The hair jewelry - tends to get lost in my locks... gotta figure out if I'm okay with that or want to make more or do some cross chains so it lays on top. And I have to pick the exact length I want... I'm leaning towards the right side where it's the same as my hair rather than longer.

hairjewelry4.jpg

Yrien and Raphaella like this.
  48. Yrien

Yrien Well-Known Member

Looks good! Though I agree that the chains get lost in your hair a bit. I like the look of it at the same length as your hair better than longer.

I understand about the time crunch - my con is the same weekend as DragonCon so I'm in the same boat as you! :X

49. Guri

Guri Sr Member

Thanks, Yrien! The cross chains seem to be working - don't have a photo yet, though.

Yrien likes this.
  50. Stivie

Stivie Well-Known Member

Looks great. I've been working on a replica of Aeglos Gil-Galad's spear off and on for a year now. Still need to do the raised vine detail and engraving. Can't wait to see this finished!