Gunsmoke Marshal's Sign

Roger Ramjet

Sr Member
Anyone have a color shot/Screen Cap of this sign that hangs on Matt Dillion's Office in Gunsmoke?

dodgecity002-1.jpg

Looks like it was hand painted from the shape of the letters. I want to recreate it for a display but not sure of the correct colors....Thanks

Last edited:
I know this thread is pushing 11 years old, but if no one has yet provided Roger Jamjet with the info he was looking for I might be able to get a pic snapped from my TV (HD LED) of the sign from one of the later color seasons of 'Gunsmoke'. After having to retire from the military due to a severe lower back injury (requiring three surgeries and leaving me with nerve damage and a weak/bad right leg), I haven't had much do to, so, I've been watching lots of 'Gunsmoke' episodes wherever I could find them. TV Land and other streaming channels are okay, but the quality isn't all that great for using the Pause feature on the DVR. Lately I've been going through the 'Gunsmoke' seasons available on Paramount+ and those episodes are much crisper (like someone at CBS cleaned them up before they got to the Paramount+ streaming channel).

The sign's color is pretty dark all round. It has a dark brown border/frame, a dark tan background - almost a "wet khaki" look to it. The lettering has that white outlining around it, and depending on how that part of the set is lit (close-ups, medium shots, etc.), the lettering looks either dark charcoal grey (not quite black), or an extremely dark green. As I mentioned, overall the sign is pretty dark.

So if anyone is still checking back on this thread, let me know and I'll try to get the best pic of the Marshal's Office sign I can and post it so you can see what I'm trying to describe.

Dino.
(P. S. Yeah; I know it's been ages since I've posted on any of my forums, but over the years since retiring in 2011 life hasn't been kind to my health. My doctors at the naval hospital are finally getting my vertigo issues under control - the main reason I stepped away from my forums: the scrolling triggered episodes leaving me not knowing which way was up - but it's nearly manageable now. So I'm slowly getting back into posting. I just hope I can keep it going. The back issue is a forever thing so sitting at a computer chair for any length of time isn't easy, and another reason why I haven't posted in a very long time. It's still an issue, but I'm trying to push through it because I miss all of this. And by the way, I loved the 'Roger Ramjet' cartoon series and am glad to see that someone else is aware that it exists. I had to really dig to prove to my wife that 'Colonel Bleep' was a real series, and managed to get that done with effort. But thanks to one of the TV channels airing 'Roger Ramjet' back in the 1990s it was easy to convince my wife it existed. I needed a DVD to prove 'Colonel Bleep'!)

Since nobody has posted on this thread for 11 years, and the original poster hasn't been here since 2014, you really should have started a new thread instead of bringing up a dead thread.

TazMan2000

Nothing is really dead on the RPF Taz:p Sure; I could go for "Zombie Thread" on this one:lol: Never too late to get info though!

I'm not sure if providing advice for a member who hasn't been active here for 9 years is worth resurrecting an old thread. (No use in helping an old lady cross the road if she's already dead and buried). I believe one of the problems is having a gallery displayed with old threads. Ever since this has happened there have been more and more necroposts, mostly by new members. All of the other users know not to post new messages on threads that have gone dormant, unless there is some stupendously new information. I understand that new members want to help though, but there is no value in flogging a dead horse.

That being said, I've noticed a new thread regarding this old show. Perhaps there is still some interest in an old TV western. If so, efforts should be concentrated there.

TazMan2000

Last edited:
I'm not sure if providing advice for a member who hasn't been active here for 9 years is worth resurrecting an old thread.
Well, for someone who hasn't been on any forum since 2016 it's impossible to know who's been on and when, or when the last time someone was logged in and active.

I understand that new members want to help though, but there is no value in flogging a dead horse.
I don't know why my icon says "New Member" under it. I'm not new to the RPF. My account profile shows that I joined August 26, 2012. Maybe it's because I haven't been logged in since late 2015/early 2016 when my vertigo made it impossible to do any forum activity - I've been logged out for so long the system thinks I'm new? Not sure on that, but I have posted here before.

That being said, I've noticed a new thread regarding this old show. Perhaps there is still some interest in an old TV western. If so, efforts should be concentrated there.
Sounds like a great idea. If it's the other thread I posted on I'll stick to that one. If not, could you please put a link to that thread in this post so I - and any other newbies - can find the right place to go?

Dino.

Well, for someone who hasn't been on any forum since 2016 it's impossible to know who's been on and when, or when the last time someone was logged in and active.

I don't know why my icon says "New Member" under it. I'm not new to the RPF. My account profile shows that I joined August 26, 2012. Maybe it's because I haven't been logged in since late 2015/early 2016 when my vertigo made it impossible to do any forum activity - I've been logged out for so long the system thinks I'm new? Not sure on that, but I have posted here before.

Sounds like a great idea. If it's the other thread I posted on I'll stick to that one. If not, could you please put a link to that thread in this post so I - and any other newbies - can find the right place to go?

Dino.
You just have to hover your mouse or tap/click onto the user making the post. It will show you the last time that member was logged on. There is also a warning on old threads that says;
"
This thread is more than X years old.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
"
So obviously you checked the box after reading the warning.

Your icon says new member because you haven't made enough postings. You could still be a new member even if you've been here 30 years and made a handful of postings.

You are welcome to post anywhere you want, or create your own thread, just make sure that you are posting in the correct section. I believe the necropost rule was created a while ago, to prevent old threads that had nothing new to be added and little to no interest from clogging up the forums with comments that just say "neat", 6 years after the last post. Now, if there was some information that came up on a dormant thread that was significant or changed some belief, then that's ok too.

If you want to post pictures and links to other threads, that is your prerogative. Just ensure that it doesn't break any forum rules, under Community Guidelines and Terms and Rules at the bottom of the page.

Welcome back to the RPF.

TazMan2000

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back