Gunnar (Rogue Trooper's Rifle) prop replica build

Sterlacchini

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello, just thought I’d share the build on my Rogue Trooper ‘Gunnar’ prop rifle build.

Though I would say that I 'directed' and commissioned this rather than making it, as everything apart from the paint was commissioned out to other people.

1. Find a reference.
Like most comic book designs, the G.I. rifle has subtle changes from artist to artist and story to story. So I decided to base the design on a ‘blue print’ illustration by the original creator Dave Gibbons. Dave also changes the design from story to later story, but at least it was a good starting point.

1.jpg

2. Get the scale and size right
I printed the design out at what I guessed was 1:1 size. I was miles out, but it did give me an opportunity to compare it to an airsoft rifle and make some adjustments. Mainly a little longer and a lot ‘taller’.

2.jpg

3. Work out the elements
Once I had the 1:1 size, I worked out the elements that I wanted to laser cut. My plan was to make a solid frame to hang the rest of the elements on, which also allowed the prop to be ‘broken down’ for transportation.
4.jpg

4. Laser prints and found items
I overlaid the elements that I thought should be laser cut steel on the design and sent the files out for cutting. The shoulder stock turned out to be insanely heavy. So I eventually had the edges ground down to remove some material, which actually looked much better. The Fabricator who ground the edges also welded the parts together and fixed the barrel screw fitting. The scope was created by cutting up two real scopes and I purchased some piping for the barrel (which would later be discarded).

5.JPG

6.JPG

5. 3D prints
A few elements needed 3D modelling. I asked a friend (Steve) to model these and another buddy (Ross) to print them.

7.JPG

8.jpg

6. Fabrication, modification and finishing
Once I had all the assets I asked another fabricator (Ian) to produce the distinctive shroud in Aluminium. Luckily Ian made this a pet project and decided to redo some of the welding, as well as recreating a custom barrel assembly. Ian also suggested the heat tempered colour to the barrel and added some other clever touches.

9.JPG

10.jpg

7. Last up, just glue on the 3D printed parts and paint.

14.jpg
13.jpg

15.jpg

Cheers!

P.S. The helmet (Helm) is the Planet Replicas one. Which I followed for colour and overall style.

Last edited:
6.3kg!

And most of that is the stock. I don't really know much about real rifle weights, but online an AK47 (with magazine) is listed at about 4.8kg.

I suppose you could justify it, that Rogue is a genetically engineered super soldier and Gunnar is also be supposed to be suitable as a marksman's rifle. An Accuracy International rifle is listed 6.8kg.

Add in a some sci-fi nonsense about special metal alloys for a heavy duty rapid fire barrel and I suppose it's okay.

I wouldn't want to be a normal human schlepping it around a convention hall though

Last edited:
That pretty hefty, Modern rifles have a lot of plastic polymer material like the G36 and only weighs 3.63 kg (8.00 lb) and given that its set in the future the G.I. rifle would be made of some very light weight material. The shroud would have been made of a tough lightweight plastic rather than metal. and the stock would be made with a titanium like metal stronger that steel and a lot lighter.

Yep. To be honest the stock should have been aluminium as well, but I couldn't find anyone to laser cut aluminium at the correct thickness. The fabricator, who I eventually used, had some other ideas as well, but by that time the steel had developed a lovely patina, so we stuck with it.

Got to worry about all that plastic and polymer in the Nu-Earth chemical warfare hell though ;)

Weight is about right.

My M40A-1 is about 14.5 pounds (6.5kg) and the stock is fiberglass (with weighted fill added).

You may want to look into a M1903 sling for yours (although the pictures show a single strap sling and the M1903 is a double-strap) I see it in the pictures you posted. It is a leather sling that is1.25” wide and still used today by DMs and Scout Snipers even though the rifle (stocks) have gotten more modern.

A regular infantry rifle is much lighter- I.e., the Kalashnikov noted or the M4.

All of this is incredible! The solid Bagman looks amazing, the nort cosplay, Gunnar. All of it. Could you add a UV LED strip under Helms brim to get those eyes glowing?

I've just got work again and I promised myself the planet replica Bagman and it's out of stock. I'm going to lie on the floor and cry for a bit. Probably sigh heavily for a week or two.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back