Grievous Magnaguards!

Keep us posted on the plasma/electricity findings. I'm thinking about making a Tesla Cannon from Fallout 3 and it has one inside it and I wanted to make it an active one.

The good news is that my friends at Plasmatronics have informed me that a display version of the electrostaff is very much doable!
Unfortunately it can't be used for duelling because it is way too delicate. But that doesn't matter too much. They will be sending me a mockup pic this week with a final quote.

In the meantime I'm going to have this pic printed full scale to use for my blueprints. The guards are 2 metres tall (6' 6" according to the visual dictionary or 6' 5" according to IG-100 MagnaGuard - Wookieepedia, the Star Wars Wiki), will just have to use screen caps for reference of other angles.

Magnaguardsblueprints.jpg

Plasmatronics can only make the glass tubes 11" long for some unknown reason, they need to be at least 18" or more. They can extend the tube with acrylic but the arcing will stop at the 11" mark.

Something like this

image001copy.jpg

They also quoted me in excess of $850 for one staff, bit out of my price range. Especially when it's not exactly what I hoped for.

Back to the drawing board on the electrostaffs!!

In the meantime I've had a full scale magnaguard printed off to begin working out measurements etc.

Last edited:
That's a bummer, man. Hopefully you will be able to find something that will work much better and something that is WAY more cost effective.

Could you go another route for the lit staff parts?

Maybe some rainbow cellopahne crumpled up and lit from beneath by a flickering super bright LED?

Could you go another route for the lit staff parts?

Maybe some rainbow cellopahne crumpled up and lit from beneath by a flickering super bright LED?

Yes, someone mentioned that to me already with maybe a fan blowing the cellophane to give the illusion of arcing like in those fake fireplaces.
There are some possibilities, still have my heart set on the actual plasma version.

You have to extract the files from the ZIP first from your computer right click on the ZIP folder and tell it to extract. Pepakura Designer should open the 3D model if not Metasequoia LE is a free and easy to use 3D Program that can open the OBJ files that are in the ZIP folder.

You have to extract the files from the ZIP first from your computer right click on the ZIP folder and tell it to extract. Pepakura Designer should open the 3D model if not Metasequoia LE is a free and easy to use 3D Program that can open the OBJ files that are in the ZIP folder.

Sorted, thanks again buddy!

Now if you really want me to what I can do is break up the parts, individually then import the parts into pep and unfold the parts of the Magnaguard it would take me about a week to do it but I enjoy doing this kind of thing and then I can post the PDO files up here for you. I know a lot of people on here use paper templates on metal or foam to create something with.

Now if you really want me to what I can do is break up the parts, individually then import the parts into pep and unfold the parts of the Magnaguard it would take me about a week to do it but I enjoy doing this kind of thing and then I can post the PDO files up here for you. I know a lot of people on here use paper templates on metal or foam to create something with.

By all means go for it, I will certainly benefit from it, thanks again!

I've been thinking about making replicas of the staffs for a while. I think the easiest way to do the clear versions would be using acrylic. The only problem is you'd have a gap between the acrylic tube and dome. The staff you could probably make with aluminum tubing.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back